Alaska possible on FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the FJR!!! I ran thru Alaska last summer with my FJR. If you have not driven thru Canada, forget the ferry on this trip. Run one way on RT.37, and Alaskan Highway the other. You do not have enough time to go off road in 2-3 weeks. I would not want to be on a smaller dual spot on the open roads. This is based on the fact I do run a little faster ( no radar or speed traps). I would skip the Haul Road this trip, but there is sooooo much to see with out it. The time you would bounce around on the Haul Road, can be switch for a run thru Glacier on the way back. Kena, Chugach,Denali,Baniff,Jasper, You need more time off. The roads are fine, You will have to go a little slower at some points.

I did a trip last June from Vancouver, through BC on the Cassier Hiway, into the Yukon and Alaska and back the Alaska Hiway through Jasper National Park and Banf and back to Vancouver. I have an 07 FJR but mada a decision to rent a 1200 GS. It was the right bike and the right decision, other than renting is really expensive.. When we left Vancouver up the Cassier Hiway it rained for 1500 miles. Between the rain, gravel and slick surface I know all the tupperware on the FJR would have been trashed and the tires would not have been ideal for the conditions we rode through. The tires on the BMW made the ride safer. We only ran into one FJR and he was on the Alaska Hiway. You see all kinds of bikes in Alaska but few FJR's. My riding partner rode a Harley, this was his second trip to Alaska, and he has no reservations about the bike other than he had to slow it way down on some of the roads. I think the multi-sport is best suited for the conditions you run into but I know the FJR would do fine, knowing you would be in for a new paint job. This was the best ride ever because of the open roads, scenery and adventure. We are going back again, this time up to Prudhoe Bay. I can't wait. I have a bunch of pictures on photobucket but can't figure out how to insert the link. PM me and I can send the link.

There is nothing wrong of having two bikes. I think it is the perfect bike for the trip and for the money. I'm planning on going to Alaska myself in 2011. Not sure when but I am getting the new KLR650 in the next year or so. For $5.3k, you can't go wrong. I'm keeping my FJR strictly for paved road. There is a reason why bike are called motocross vs street bike.

Here is a good website for KLR accessories.

https://www.klr650.com/

Any trip is possible & can be done with any bike if you are determined, skilled & crazy enough to want to do it, just make sure your pocket book is also up for the challange :good: ....

If you both ride the same model bike then you'll only need one set of spares and tools.

Let us know what you decide, and of course, a nice trip report is mandatory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alaska is not to be missed. Two and one-half trips my self. [Once to Hyder, counts as half] All trips on street bikes, never on the haul road.

I strongly recommend going North through BC, doing the Ice Fields highway to Jasper and on North. On the way back go to Haines and take the ferry to Prince Rupert. This makes a nice break in the trip and is the only way to see the panhandle of Alaska. I'd make a reservation and get a cabin also. Great to watch the coast go by while having a cold one in the cabin. Get a cabin on the left side of the ship to see the most.

Longrider

Alaska is not to be missed. Two and one-half trips my self. [Once to Hyder, counts as half] All trips on street bikes, never on the haul road.
I strongly recommend going North through BC, doing the Ice Fields highway to Jasper and on North. On the way back go to Haines and take the ferry to Prince Rupert. This makes a nice break in the trip and is the only way to see the panhandle of Alaska. I'd make a reservation and get a cabin also. Great to watch the coast go by while having a cold one in the cabin. Get a cabin on the left side of the ship to see the most.

Longrider
You have a very good point there. If you’re going to spend the cash on boat ride, you might as well be on the correct side of the vessel. If I skip the boat ride I sure can be gone longer, and see more roads.

Well as it stands now I'm gathering all the info I can and appreciate the suggestions you guys come up with. I'm leaning towards getting a dual sport and just seeing how much saddle time I can handle. I'm ready for a 50cc on the FJR this spring, but that is a completely different machine than a dual sport bike.

I might have to extend my length of vacation to 2 1/2 weeks, possibly longer since the total trip will be around 7,300 miles going through Fairbanks and Anchorage.

If money weren't an issue. I'm talking about least likely to give you trouble, off road abilities etc...

When I moved to Alaska, we did the ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan and yes it was a long trip but the scenery was awesome. Saw bears, and killerwhales, don't discount it, it'l save you from 'having' to buy another bike, because the rest of the roads up there are ok....

Josh

You are going to drive 7500 miles on a 650 when you have a FJR? You have two weeks. At that pace you will melt that bike. I saw them up there being repaired, all kinds a problems. If you have camping equipment the bike is weighted down. If you really want to run the two or three roads up there that need dual sport, why no just rent one in Fairbanks for a couple of days. I ran 20,000 last summer and the only problem I had with the FJR is it kept useing gas. Some tires also.

If you really want to run the two or three roads up there that need dual sport, why no just rent one in Fairbanks for a couple of days.
Ed is totally right. You really don't want be flogging a dual sport, all that distance, when you have such a fine bike that loves long distance high speed running.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a KLR. Doing 6-7000 miles in two weeks?

Just visit your dentist before you leave and make

sure all your fillings are tight. And bring Monkey Butt

Powder. Lots of it.

If you take the ferry you will miss out on some beautiful Canadian riding.

I loved the views and riding up the Alcan.

I am planning to do it again in 09. This time I told the wife we will only do 500 mile days max.

Probably the worst riding you will encounter will be in Nebraska.

Bob