almost the feej

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commtrd

Reaction score
I have decided to take the advice of several on this board and get a beater bike before I get a new FJR. It has been many years since I have ridden a motorcycle on the street, and it seems to be smarter to get a smaller and less expensive bike to start riding with again.

I did race motocross when I was [much] younger and had a couple of street bikes.

Still really want a FJR, but for once going to exercise a little common sense and listen to the advice of others more knowledgeable than myself. That way when (if?) I fall over etc. it won't be like tearing up a new feejer.

Thanx for the advice...

I bought a Royal Star Boulevard when I got back into riding after 20+ years of just cager activity. Glad I did, because, although it was a nice bike and great for long rides (except for the 130-150 mile gas tank), it only had 75 horses. When I got into trouble (and you probably will get close to the edge too) what saved me was the fact that it took so long to get up to real speed, or, in other words, if I had more horsepower I would have been going way way too fast for some of those curves...

The Feejer is much lighter, handles wonderfully for a touring bike, and still puts a smile on my face when I twist my right hand. I learned (or re-learned) alot in the five years I had the Royal Star, but I'm really glad that I now have the Feejer. I actually now look forward to corners & curvy roads which is a 180 from riding with the RS.

After you get used to the beater & get back into the zen of riding you'll be fine & I think you'll just know when it's time to graduate to the 145HP touring bike we all love...

I am doing the same thing for several reasons.

#1: I want to see how the 06 FJR rates with it's new owners. First year production vehicles tend to have some bugs sometimes. That means sticking out a wait for most of next year at least.

#2: I also have been out of the riding mode for many years and want a comfortable mid weight bike to get back in the groove on. The only thing I've found that I REALLY like is the 650 V-Strom. VERY fun starter toy.

#3: My wife hasn't ever been on the back of a bike and I think the FJR may be way too much for either of us to handle for her to start out on.

and lastly: I am hoping some of the dealers will start trying to stock a few FJRs for us future buyers to drool over before we take the leap. I really hate for all you current owners and new 06 owners to see me this way! :wub: :alcoholic: :cigar: :sad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what I was thinking...a Suzuki SV650, V Strom, or something similar to start out with. I was looking at the Yamaha website and those 450 dirtbikes look awesome too...I just can't bring myself to even consider a cruiser though. I don't know what it is about those bikes exactly, I just think they suck. Poor ergonomics, underpowered, loud pipes, way too much bucks for old technology, I could go on and on. Mostly I just don't want to be part of the herd that does things like everyone else just to be cool. I cringe every time I see a hardly rider with his legs stuck way out front on those hiway pegs, with no helmet, a t-shirt, etc. etc. Not impressive at all. Costume jewelry for morons.

sorry guys,,

I hate to be the :diablo: voice here ,, but,,

I had been out of the saddle for over 10 years ,, my job prohibited me from riding ,, I had been looking at the FEEJEER for 3 years ,, I had sat on one in New Orleans 2 years ago ,, they called security ,, I loved it ,,

in May I went into the dealership to buy a Warrior ,, thought it was the right bike to get back into riding on ,, as I was looking at the black beauty ,, I saw the FJR peeking out from behind several bikes in the back of the showroom ,, I asked if it was sold ,, sales guy sez ,, no ,, I say write it up ,, I"ll take it ,, many people tried to talk me out of it ,, said I needed a different bike to get my "Zen" back ,,

I am so glad I did not listen to those who would tell me what I needed ,,

I love my Flamming FEEJEER ,, it was the best decision I have made since telling the man to stick it ,, and retired early ,,

I am not saying that I did not have a few uncomfortable moments in the very begining ,, but this bike is so well designed ,, I felt very confident from the start ,, I took delivery on Saturday ,, and left for the Outer banks on Sunday morning ,, and did 800 miles in a run down and back ,, I was there for 2 days ,,

I am just loath to spend $ on a bike I know I am only going to keep a very short time <<

so ,, I've had my 2 cents ,,,

do what you feel is best for your riding experience

Just another humble opinion. After almost 20 years, like galaxy5, I dove right in and found a fjr. No regets at all. The bike is so easy to ride, just show a little common sense (for a little while). Although, I think a v strom would be a nice addition. Can't have too many toys.

I rode a Kawasaki W650 for 18 months before getting the FJR. The W650 was what got me interested in riding again. It had enough power but not so much I could go overboard whilst getting my bike zen back. Bought it for $3.7k sold it for $4k.

commtrd,

It's been 30 years since I last rode - and before ordering my 06A, I signed up for the MSF class.

Best thing I ever did. Realized I had a lot of bad habits that I had developed on the street during my previous 3 bikes.

And it put me back in the saddle again - granted, at 250cc and 2nd or 3rd gear, however it felt really good. Except now I have trifocals.

And I knew the first time I engaged the clutch that I was doing the right thing.

So - FWIW, do the MSF - if you haven't already.

It felt right.

FWIW - I bought my first bike on a whim in AZ at the age of 24. Rode it every day for a year (Yam Virago 535). Loved the bike, but hauling plywood sucked so I went back to a cage with a bed. :haha:

Over the next 12 years I moved all over the globe and spent most of the time drooling over the ST1300. When I got back to somewhere that had a decent riding season (more than 3 days) I found the FJR and bought one on e-bay from a police detective in Chicago.

Haven't regretted a minute of it. Have had a couple times when the thrill of the bike almost got past my riding ability and driveway dropped it in the first week, but wouldn't trade it for anything (especially one of those slow blue ones :D )

Kids....two wheels is two wheels. The few of us that make that choice are the ones that chose it for our own purposes. I knew when I was seventeen that I would ride a motorcycle day in and day out....regardless of what others think. Regardless of what traffic conditions were. Regardless of what the weather was doing. Regardless of what others "drove" to work. I ride because it keeps me in "touch" with the road. The road we travel. The road that pays the bills. The road that gives me happiness. The road that has no end. A gift from some one else that knew how to build roads...and smiles knowing that he was paid to build that road knowing that some of us would appreciate that road and pay for it. I ride to live. Not a cliche. I own no four wheeled vehicles. I ride to work. I am two wheels living and breathing. I would rather be a passenger on a car then be a driver of a cage.