Alternate GPS Units

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangemaster

Reaction score
I have a Magellen Maestro 4250 and the kids have older Garmin Street Pilots. While the Zumo's seem to be the preferred choice for the motorcycles, other than the weather-proofing, is anything else going on in there that makes it more suitable to that use? Tried Google search, but feel free to point me if anyone knows of a previous thread that answers the question. Trying not to be a knob.

If you're happy with it, use what you have.

I would think the voice command option isn't going to work well on the motorcycle (ambient noise, helmet, etc., etc.).

Some of us are using older Garmin units because the Magellan GPS had hard drives that didn't live well with motorcycle vibrations vs. the "flash card" systems Garmin was using at the time.

If you're happy with it, use what you have.
I would think the voice command option isn't going to work well on the motorcycle (ambient noise, helmet, etc., etc.).

Some of us are using older Garmin units because the Magellan GPS had hard drives that didn't live well with motorcycle vibrations vs. the "flash card" systems Garmin was using at the time.
thanks Mike....think I may "borrow" ;) one of the Street Pilots from the daughters...lol

I have a Magellen Maestro 4250 and the kids have older Garmin Street Pilots. While the Zumo's seem to be the preferred choice for the motorcycles, other than the weather-proofing, is anything else going on in there that makes it more suitable to that use? Tried Google search, but feel free to point me if anyone knows of a previous thread that answers the question. Trying not to be a knob.

I went for the Nuvi 550 and a Ram mount. Works for me and it's waterproof for about $250.

I have a Magellen Maestro 4250 and the kids have older Garmin Street Pilots. While the Zumo's seem to be the preferred choice for the motorcycles, other than the weather-proofing, is anything else going on in there that makes it more suitable to that use?
While it may have features that the others don't (and you may not even want those features) the biggest difference may be in the design.

The Zumo is designed for the punishment a motorcycle dishes out - not just in the water resistance but also in the shock, vibration and jolting a bike can transmit to a GPS unit.

I have a Magellen Maestro 4250 and the kids have older Garmin Street Pilots. While the Zumo's seem to be the preferred choice for the motorcycles, other than the weather-proofing, is anything else going on in there that makes it more suitable to that use?
While it may have features that the others don't (and you may not even want those features) the biggest difference may be in the design.

The Zumo is designed for the punishment a motorcycle dishes out - not just in the water resistance but also in the shock, vibration and jolting a bike can transmit to a GPS unit.
Thank you for the answer...now can I find one at a decent price........I did see that there was a 450 in the series, which gave way to the 550 and now, the 650.....anyone with any time on the older units?

Check the Garmine 765T, it has the ability to have a multiple point planned trip, it has Radio Traffic info, and it is the lowest cost upperscale GPS, you can get a factory refurb at Amazon bellow $200. By the way, when you shop on Amazon, scroll the page down there is a good feature comparizon between the Garmine units.

Th e Zumo is over priced and the 765T will do the same or better. :rolleyes:

Check the Garmine 765T, it has the ability to have a multiple point planned trip, it has Radio Traffic info, and it is the lowest cost upperscale GPS, you can get a factory refurb at Amazon bellow $200. By the way, when you shop on Amazon, scroll the page down there is a good feature comparizon between the Garmine units.Th e Zumo is over priced and the 765T will do the same or better. :rolleyes:
ty ty ty

I use a streetpilot 550. The suction cup mount works very well on the tank, has a really good MP3 player, and bluetooth for the phone. Since I use the audio out function for music, I hear if my phone rings and it displays the number. When I stop to check voice mail, I can hear it through the Garmin audio out, and if needed I'll make an extended stop and return the call. If I add a microphone to my helmet I'd have full phone function, but I don't ever intend to be that much of a slave to a telephone.

I've used multiple automobile GPS units on my FJR. Right now I'm using a Garmin 720 with a Ram mount - works great, but I take it off during the rain.

I've used multiple automobile GPS units on my FJR. Right now I'm using a Garmin 720 with a Ram mount - works great, but I take it off during the rain.
If you talk to garmin, they'll tell you that using anything but a "motorcycle" gps will void the warranty of a non motorcycle gps. . According to them, the other "non motorcycle" gps units cannot withstand the vibration from a motorcyle. Of course reality tell us something much different. I just bought a 765t thats has about everything you would want in a gps unit. Most of the forum members that have ever responded to my GPS questions use some sort of plastic bag for protection throughout the wet season without any issues with units that arent waterproof. This seems to be the big contraversy (waterproof vs. non waterproof (vs. vibration vs. non vibration). Many of us just arent willing to kick in the extra bucks for a waterproof unit. Those of us that have, swear by them. I'm giving the cheaper alternative a go round before stepping up to the plate and paying the big buck.

I"ve got a tank bag that holds my gps and has a rain cover. I plan to use my gps when i tour (which is when i need a tank bag). i would take a good look at the application you plan on using. If you going to be using your gps daily, it may be worthwhile to go with the "gold standard". If its going to be used for "occasional" applications, the extra money could be put towards some other nice farkle IMHO.

hope this helps,,

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mio gave up the ghost after less than two seasons on the bike -- using plastic bags for covers. It started sending me in circles when it wasn't powering off or flickering.

I did see that there was a 450 in the series, which gave way to the 550 and now, the 650.....anyone with any time on the older units?
Check Garmin's web site for the actual differences in the various units. Big thing is Bluetooth. If you don't need that connectivity, the 450 will do you just fine.

I gave up on my 550. First, one of the carrier electric pins fell off. Garmin sent me another, but it still didn't work. I don't think it was a durable product for the high purchase cost. I didn't feel like spending the $'s to refurbish it, with out of date maps, so I purchased an inexpensive Nuvi to put in the tank bag for occasional use.

Like alot of you, I have traveled enough to know where I am going most of the time without one. I am not very good at multitasking and find myself playing with the GPS while riding. I figure this distraction would put me in a ditch sooner or later, so I limit its use.

I've been using a Garmin Quest for something like 5 years now...recently moved it from my FZ6 to the recently acquired FJR. It's apparent that it needs a map update, but otherwise, it's been fairly rock solid. Probably could find one dirt cheap these days. We have a Nuvi 360 for the car, but it's been supplanted by the MotionX GPS app on my iPhone (very sweet/cheap "pre-loading" GPS app), so I'm probably going to try out an Aqua Box setup for it on the bike.

There's a lot of alternatives to the $$ Zumo.

I've got a Tom Tom Rider 2. First GPS of any kind I've ever had. It wasn't all that cheap (I think I paid $320 online when it was new) but it's motorcycle specific, works with gloves, weatherproof, and seems to do a great job. It also has a little icon for vehicle that looks exactly like a black FJR :)

072009_204000-2.jpg

I went the super cheap route, and picked up a Nextar unit at Target for $100. They also had a Garmin 205w for the same price at the time, but the Nextar has an audio out (which turned out not to work as well as I had hoped with my setup). I picked it up at the last minute because I was doing a run down to Phoenix for the week for work, and it did the job I needed it to do (although the routing options are extremely limited, and sometimes contradictory). Even with a screen protector on it, I was able to push the go button with gloves on the few times I forgot to do that beforehand. The mount was the weakest link (I modified it to mount to the top of my clutch reservoir), so it will be replaced at some point in the near future.

I use and very much like the Garmin 755t.

When you download your "NuMaps Guarantee", MapSource is included and this is the KEY to these units. Once you have that software, the 755t (and the other Nuvis that allow custom routes) work very much like every other one of Garmin's far more expensive specialty GPS units.

So, I couldn't justify the extra $400 over the 755t. I'd rather put that $ towards a Starcomm, or other farkles, or nothing at all.

You will want to add a Boostaroo to whatever you buy. It made the nav instructions go from "barely audible" to "totally audible".

If you talk to garmin, they'll tell you that using anything but a "motorcycle" gps will void the warranty of a non motorcycle gps. . According to them, the other "non motorcycle" gps units cannot withstand the vibration from a motorcyle. Of course reality tell us something much different. I just bought a 765t thats has about everything you would want in a gps unit. Most of the forum members that have ever responded to my GPS questions use some sort of plastic bag for protection throughout the wet season without any issues with units that arent waterproof. This seems to be the big contraversy (waterproof vs. non waterproof (vs. vibration vs. non vibration). Many of us just arent willing to kick in the extra bucks for a non waterproof unit. Those of us that have, swear by them. I'm giving the cheaper alternative a go round before stepping up to the plate and paying the big buck.

I"ve got a tank bag that holds my gps and has a rain cover. I plan to use my gps when i tour (which is when i need a tank bag). i would take a good look at the application you plan on using. If you going to be using your gps daily, it may be worthwhile to go with the "gold standard". If its going to be used for "occasional" applications, the extra money could be put towards some other nice farkle IMHO.

hope this helps,,

GreyGoose
I second the 765t, I have about 7,000 cycle miles on mine mounted on a techmount including a few hundred pouring rain miles. When you are moving it wont get wet, but i put a normal ziplock over mine when it rains. Works great.