altitude sickness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to throw my 2 cents into the mix;

I spent about a year living and working in the Andes in Peru between 10,000 feet and 15,000 feet. My experience is that altitude sickness affects about 1 in 10 people at that level, but for most it is just headaches. Again, no relationship to how good of shape your in or anything else.

I saw several people that could not stay at 10,000 feet, but only one that had to be immediately removed.

Coco leaves or Coco tea are used commonly there, and the common practice was as TWN said CARBS. We gave the kids lots of hard candy when we ventured above 13,000

For me, the one thing I learned was that at 15,000 feet, you have to WORK to keep a cigarette lit! Damn things just want to go out on their own! :glare:

Last summer on my way to WFO was really my first time at high elevations. I didn't experience headaches or nausea but at times I got very light headed. Not necessarily a good thing on an FJR. Spent a night in Leadville, CO (11,000 ft-ish) and got dizzy walking around. Maybe I wasn't drinking enough water as I didn't know that was a good idea until this thread.

gypsy

Peeple,

i huve ben liveing in Everrrgreen cents Aughust at 7500 feets and, uhm, this high alevatshun do-not affuct you.... peeple says there iz a nutural high butt I think its all vury norrrmal. there iz nuthin' to worry overrrr. don'tt worrry if you can do-not read ur dash speed needle-thingy.... if you pay attenshun to these blue lits behind yo ass then just keep yo bike bettween those prettty blue light-thingys in yo mirrors cuz thooose lits are there to guide yo...

wheewww... I feel faint now. Must be the radio-active lite from the monitor.

You will have to ask fjrchick about that, she is in charge of the activites. :yahoo:
He means fjrchik ;)

As for Altitude sickness:

I'm originally from Utah, and would ski as much as possible the higher the better.

Then I joined the military at 19 and moved south and all over the world without a problem.

Two years ago I suffered from the worst headache I've ever had (I can't compare with migranes) while camping with my family in Utah.

I basically laid around for a day and it finally passed, but dang, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.