An auxiliary light question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian B

Reaction score
Pretty much all of the posts I get when I do a search are about how awsome HID lights are but I am looking for some auxiliary lights that can be left on with oncoming traffic and still put off enough light to be worth installing. That pretty much excludes HID. I don't really want a short and wide fog beam but something a little wider than a pure pencil beam would be sweet. I leave for work at 5:15am and don't head home till 6pm so this time of year my commute is sometimes moonlight assisted but usually just the FJrRheadlight. I am pretty much looking for a good projecting beam that has an upper beam cut off to not blind oncoming traffic, any suggestions would be most helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, I would suggest you pick up the November 2008 issue of Motorcyle Consumer News. They have a driving light comparison on page 26 that is very comprehensive. I have used Motolights in the past with good success although the MCN review does not give them that high of a rating.

I use HIDs.

The Hella Micro DE Xenon is a small, bright package. Do not confuse them with the Micro DE model that looks the same, but uses halogen bulbs.

They're on when the bike is running and the headlight modulator runs during daylight hours. They're not aimed level, so they don't tend to blind oncoming traffic during daylight hours. IMO there's no such thing as being too conspicuous when riding in traffic.

I was patient and got a killer deal on Ebay, because these things cost BIG $$$$.

You'll find pictures of one sort and another on my webshots page . . . . Here's a clickable sample shot:

QUOTE (Brian B @ Nov 15 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am looking for some auxiliary lights that can be left on with oncoming traffic and still put off enough light to be worth installing.
I am not sure this is a reasonable request.... aux lights that put out enough usable lighting to make them worth installing will not really be usable in the presence of oncoming traffic. It's one or the other, for the most part.

MotoLight get poor reviews from Iron Butt riders because that are marginal for putting useful lumens far down the roadway where you need them, and their biggest problem is their ridiculous mounting position.

That said, their ridiculous mounting position (on the lower fork legs, making them subject to impact damage, and adding to unsprung weight) also makes them rather excellent "marker" lights... letting others see *you*, but they are sub-optimal for serious night work.

I suppose you could try the Hella FF50 halogen lamps and aim them downward a good bit, if you feel this will work for you.

Experience suggests the best option is a set of "low-beam-only" HIDs in your stock reflector housing. Aimed properly, you'll still have more light that you can believe possible, and still be fine in the presence of oncoming traffic.

I am working with a vendor right now - not overseas, but here in North America - on various HID kits that he offers that span quite the range. He has provided several sets of different HID kits that I am examining closely.... H4's Low-Beam-Only, H4 Hi/Lo Beam, H7 XP Ballasts kits, and a yet another brand new uber-slim, uber-compact Digital Ballasts that is amazingly small. The latter I am going to try in the Hayabusa's high beam, which takes a H9-based HID bulb. If it proves to be a good kit, this will be a boon to you Gen II guys with much more limited under-cowling space.

Do you have the PIAA XC HIDs?? If so how are they working out?? I've been strongly considering these lights mounted FJRGoodie mounts. Many thanks!!

I haven't comfirmed this, but the PIAA Cross Country lights look and are spec'd the same as the TrailTech SCMR16 lights.

Could be PIAA is sourcing from TrailTech. If that's true, PIAA just charges $250 more per set for brand recognition.

PIAA and Trail Tech

I don't spend much time on desolate roads at night so I don't even have the chance to use my hi beam that often. That being said I think I will look into the HID conversion for the headlight since The Knower Of All Things Motorcycle said that it could be aimed well enough to not irritate oncoming traffic.

From the article FJRTech: Installing HID kits in your FJR

Low-Beam comparison: factory halogen beamcast on top, 4300K HID beamcast on bottom:

LoBeamCompareSM.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled. If you don't use your high beams much exactly why are you wanting aux lights ?

Because I would like to see better under my normal riding conditions without pissing off everybody that gets in front of me, especially the ones coming at me with 2 tons around them...

Warchild,

The low beam looks to be what I am looking for. Did you install the hi/lo on your bike and if so how does the hi beam project?

If you don't want to piss people off then don't run more lights, simple, easy, problem solved. If you need more light, turn on your high beams, end of story !

(Oh ya, Your Welcome)

QUOTE (Brian B @ Nov 17 2008, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warchild,The low beam looks to be what I am looking for. Did you install the hi/lo on your bike and if so how does the hi beam project?
I installed the Low-Beam-Only.

I tried the Hi/Lo... the high beam was crap.

That said, this was with an older-generation Hi-Lo that was not "telescopic", but used a bullshit "butterfly wing" shutter to mimic the focal point of the high beam filament position. You can not "mimic" the correct focal point.... you have to physically position the filament in the correct location, or it doesn't fly.

So I will be interested to try this new telescopic version out when I get the chance later this month.... here is what it looks like:

Hi-LoH4.jpg

And recall I mentioned earlier in this thread about a brand new ultra-small, ultra-slim digital ballast that Gen II guys would KILL to have? :D

Check this baby out....

UberSlimBallast.jpg

Brian ~ Based on WC's last post, you might want to wait until we hear from him on this new development. A hi/low beam capsule that works in the stock FJR reflector is the solution we've all been waiting for.

50K miles ago I did a low beam only HID conversion to my FJR. It was the best money on lighting I've ever spent. I couldn't believe the increase in both the quantity and quality of the light. Losing the high beam forced me to add some expensive auxiliary light since I do a fair amount of endurance rallies that necessitates riding at night. If I didn't ride in deer country at night as a matter of course, I think I could live without the high beam; the HID low beam is that good.

Paul Peloquin

IBA #333

Monmouth OR

Well, ain'this just peachy. I finally get around to installing the Hi/Low HID conversion, along with the PHIDs, and, what the heck, do the barrier strip too. Deployments help keep me even slower than my usual snail's pace. So my FJR is at home, with exploded front end, AND NOW I READ ABOUT COOL NEW TRICK AND SLIM BALLASTS!!!

I'm not crying here. Really.

Maybe I can one of the Hi/Low's on the VTR. In a year or two...

Curse you, Dale.