An auxiliary light question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use these: https://www.motolight.com/

20081118_62.jpg

20081118_63.jpg

The other nice thing about the Motolight solution is it turns with the wheel and puts light on the direction you are turning. Something you dont get with the stock headlights nor faring mounted lights.

The other nice thing about the Motolight solution is it turns with the wheel and puts light on the direction you are turning. Something you dont get with the stock headlights nor faring mounted lights.
Which is a rather moot point when actually riding the bike since the angle of the handlebar turn is minimal, at anything above a walking speed. In fact, the bars are actually turned in the opposite direction to initiate the turn, so that sort of blows that whole theory of advantage...

I have the motolights too (for now). They are excellent "See Me Lights" but even with the 55watt bulbs (they come standard with 35watt).

They add NO appreciable, usable light for riding. Except when going down your driveway or maneuvering in a parking lot, that's it... Some and I mean some, peripheral light, which is good for helping you park in a good spot and not roll off the road into a soft spot or ditch, but that is all.

They provide Zero light more than 50 feet down the road, NONE. So if you ride more than 10MPH they add NO Value here.

That being said, their construction is first class, the wiring harness is good, etc, etc. But if you're looking for light output you're absoluteness fooling yourself if you thing adding these will help. At least on the FJR who's stock headlights are pretty damn good as a starting point.

On my dads' 2000 RT, though, they do actually help him. But that's only because his stock headlight is complete and utter crap.

I took the Motorcycle Consumer News article very seriously and went for the lights with the biggest bang for the buck (Best Buy) there.

Installed lazer light bullet lights on the forks using cyclegadgets fender bolt mounts and the lazer light wiring harness for HD (rocker switch instead of panel mount toggle switch). The water resistant rocker switch is velcroed to the inside of the front brake resevoir.

At the moment the coil of the relay is wired to ignition switch controled power, but I'm gonna soon rewire it to the low beam wire so they can only be on with the engine running.

Very economical (black powder coated lights $140, lazer light HD rocker harness $35, cycle gadgets fender bolt mount $80) compared to most.

Very good product and bright out to 100' on a pitch black night. On my digital voltmeter, was 14.1 volts on the interstate, now (55watt lights) 13.8 volts.

Very happy.

I'm on a borrowed PC and can't currently post pics or look up the email purchase statement, but PM if you want more info and I'll get it to you after googling up the info again.

Let's all ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I took the Motorcycle Consumer News article very seriously and went for the lights with the biggest bang for the buck (Best Buy) there.

Installed lazer light bullet lights on the forks using cyclegadgets fender bolt mounts and the lazer light wiring harness for HD (rocker switch instead of panel mount toggle switch). The water resistant rocker switch is velcroed to the inside of the front brake resevoir.

At the moment the coil of the relay is wired to ignition switch controled power, but I'm gonna soon rewire it to the low beam wire so they can only be on with the engine running.

Very economical (black powder coated lights $140, lazer light HD rocker harness $35, cycle gadgets fender bolt mount $80) compared to most.

Very good product and bright out to 100' on a pitch black night. On my digital voltmeter, was 14.1 volts on the interstate, now (55watt lights) 13.8 volts.

Very happy.

I'm on a borrowed PC and can't currently post pics or look up the email purchase statement, but PM if you want more info and I'll get it to you after googling up the info again.

Let's all ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

QUOTE (Brian B @ Nov 15 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much all of the posts I get when I do a search are about how awsome HID lights are but I am looking for some auxiliary lights that can be left on with oncoming traffic and still put off enough light to be worth installing. That pretty much excludes HID. I don't really want a short and wide fog beam but something a little wider than a pure pencil beam would be sweet. I leave for work at 5:15am and don't head home till 6pm so this time of year my commute is sometimes moonlight assisted but usually just the FJrRheadlight. I am pretty much looking for a good projecting beam that has an upper beam cut off to not blind oncoming traffic, any suggestions would be most helpful.
==========

This is off topic......... you can't be.... Brian B........ cuz, thats me..... :dribble: :yahoo:

on topic...........

I have similar questions myself........ still looking

B.

Warchild was teasing about a write up on some telescoping HID capsules to be used in the stock FJR housing which be ideal for what the 2 Brian's seem to be looking for. I am waiting on that before making any lighting purchases.

The real Brian

If you simply want auxiliary driving lights, why not buy some at the local CSK, NAPA, AutoZOne or any other "Parts-in-a-box-store. But some brackets from Garauld and wire them through a relay....

[SIZE=12pt]Voila'![/SIZE]

I don't even remember the brand I was using before my HIDs (perhaps FJRay would chime in...he has them) but since most driving lights are illegal anyway, by some you can adjust downward a bit and "let her rip"!

I will say that I like the HIDs. And using them for "flash to pass" is pretty effective! :evil:

If you simply want auxiliary driving lights, why not buy some at the local CSK, NAPA, AutoZOne or any other "Parts-in-a-box-store. But some brackets from Garauld and wire them through a relay....
[SIZE=12pt]Voila'![/SIZE]

I don't even remember the brand I was using before my HIDs (perhaps FJRay would chime in...he has them) but since most driving lights are illegal anyway, by some you can adjust downward a bit and "let her rip"!

I will say that I like the HIDs. And using them for "flash to pass" is pretty effective! :evil:
Chimeing in here. The lights I got from MM2 are the Hella FF50. They don't have quite the power of the HID lights and they draw a lot of juice but they are more than ample for most conditions. If you use them and some heated gear it is time for the electrosport stator.

Chimeing in here. The lights I got from MM2 are the Hella FF50. They don't have quite the power of the HID lights and they draw a lot of juice but they are more than ample for most conditions. If you use them and some heated gear it is time for the electrosport stator.
I also have the FF50's mounted along with telescopic HIDs in the OE headlamp buckets.

2905183780098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

I have them wired through a single pole double throw switch that allows me to have them on all the time the ignition is on (low), just with high beams (high) or off. I usually leave the switch in "high" and keep the lights aimed low, like the low beam angle, to help fill in under the HID high beams.

Compared to the HID high beams, I don't think the FF50's do much in terms of added attention getting visibility in the daytime. If one was still running halogens in the headlamps I'd think they would be more beneficial in that capacity.

I been eyeing the these lights (actually for the KTM) to go with my low beam.
trailtech.net

There only 13 watts!!!! Then to go with my high beam I was considering using these:

Trail Tech 30

These are only 30 watts.

There pretty reasonable for hids at $140 a piece.

Unless you're starved for power, I can't imagine choosing the 13 watt lights. For essentially the same price, the 30 watt lights put out 3.5 x lumens.

trailtech.net

There only 13 watts!!!! Then to go with my high beam I was considering using these:

Trail Tech 30

These are only 30 watts.

Unless you're starved for power, I can't imagine choosing the 13 watt lights. For essentially the same price, the 30 watt lights put out 3.5 x lumens.
It for the KTM who only has one light in the front of it. Why run 60 watts all time when you can run 26 Watts instead?

trailtech.net

Trail Tech 30

These are only 30 watts.

==========

Looks like good info..... and they come in black :yahoo: :yahoo:

B....

I will say that I like the HIDs. And using them for "flash to pass" is pretty effective!
I recently aimed mine way down, and find them to work pretty good in the tule fog around here. You're sure gonna be seen by oncomers plenty well!

Here's a pretty good source for dependable product.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting, but I don't believe I've EVER heard someone mention, much less install, an HID low-beam conversion in one headlight bucket and a high-beam HID in the other bucket, wired w/relay so both High and Low were on in the High Beam "On" switch position.

Any good reason why no one's done, or even mentioned this before???

I would think this would be the cat's-ass-solution for someone (like me) who didn't want a set of gargantutoid aux lights hanging off their fairings.