And so we farkle again! J&M Radio gear inbound - can't wait

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Been a LONG time since I bought anything for the FJR. With NAFO plans unfolding, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade the comm gear for two up riding.

Knowing some others who are pleased the J&M gear, I ordered the full kit last night. Can't wait for bits to start arriving from the retailers. The pile will start small, then grow...then disappear as it all gets bolted to the bike. :yahoo:

I'm going to wait and see if I'll need the ground loop isolater, and I have a mounting point I'm going to try to adapt. The mounting bracket could slow things a bit, but we'll see.

So, those with J&Ms, or any system using an antenna - what length is best. I went with a 4' stick, though it appears to be easily swapped.

I went with the 4' antenna also. Mainly because we ride in areas with lots of mountains and very rural. Wanted to have the farthest distance possible to transmit on the CB in case of an emergency.

If you want to come by sometime, you can look at how mine is mounted. I have the body work off right now so you can see the cable routing also. One thing you might consider is the JMCB-2003-DU (handlebar CB on any motorcycle) Mic-Mutes Kit. It kills the open mic when not in use. IIRC you have molded ear plugs with speakers. The mic-mutes will allow you to turn the volumes down even more and your music enjoyment will increase even more.

EDIT: It is plug and play, very simple to add to the system

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have the 4' J&M antenna with lic plate mount. I had two of them break until I installed a lil clamp to my trunk (I never remove the trunk anyway) to support it 1/3 of the way up. An emailed pic of the broken antenna to John Lazaroni had a new one sent to me even as non warranty.

I'd go with the much better firestik instead.

Thanks guys. :)

Once all the parts arrive (next week), I may take you up on the invite Auburn. :) Be very helpful to check the routing, etc. before tearing into mine.

We don't have the molded, speaker buds (yet) but I was thinking of grabbing a couple pair of the SkullCandy silicon tipped jobbies to try wiring in, so the mic-mute may be a worthwhile addition. Definitely want to look into that.

I just finished the 2 person set yesterday. Mounted my antenna off to the side of the topbox. Went with a 3' antenna. Was able to get the SWR to 1.2 to 1 in the mid channels. That in itself was a shocl. One more helmet to do. Managed to whack my finger with a razorknifee cutting on the Nolan.

I just finished the 2 person set yesterday. Mounted my antenna off to the side of the topbox. Went with a 3' antenna. Was able to get the SWR to 1.2 to 1 in the mid channels. That in itself was a shocl. One more helmet to do. Managed to whack my finger with a razorknifee cutting on the Nolan.
Hope you're OK there Tim. Wasn't on your throttle hand was it? ;)

It was if jolly ol' St. Nick came by for a visit last night.

Came home from work to find three boxes piled on the step waiting for me. :) Less than an hour later, FedEx dropped off a fourth. Everything is in the garage now - just in time for a weekend of friggin' around with the bike. :)

Not sure how far I'll get, though, as I purposely did not order the handlebar mount for the J&M. I already have an unused mount on there, so we'll see if it can be used with the J&M. I'm guessing no, but if not I can always order the proper mount. ;) Still a bunch of other stuff I can mess with... :D

I mounted mine with dual lock on top of the Clutch Resevoir. It works pretty good. If you need a mount I have one that I dont need. I could mail it to you. Let me know.

Ron, that's an awesome offer, sir. I shall take a looksee this evening on the gear and see what the best course of action is. :) I may well take you up on this offer...and buy you a couple tanks of gas for your troubles, too... ;)