And yet ANOTHER tire thread...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
Yeah, another load of grist for the NEPRT mill...

But first, a little background:

I commute (definition: ride with no intention of having fun) 1500 to 2000 miles a month. Work, grocery getting, that kind of stuff. I ride for fun maybe 300-400 miles a month.

I'm considering getting another set of FJR wheels so I can have a "fun" setup and "commuting" setup to save money on rubber in the long run. As quick as it is to change wheels, it's a win-win.

Back in my misspent youth, I used to campaign a hotted-up Honda Civic in SCCA Solo II (autocrossing for you uninitiates).

During the week, I ran good old HARD Michelin X radials on the car, my daily driver, and swapped out to Yokohamas on a second set of rims for competition. Anyone remember '70s vintage Michelin X radials? 60,000 miles on a set was not unusual. The Yokohamas were true gumballs and were good for about one season of racing, or about 10,000 miles on the street, whichever came first. :)

So on to the big question:

FOR PURE MILEAGE, what is a good recommendation for a tire brand.

I realize most motorcycle tires are compromises between handling and longevity. Michelin-speak "...ideal balance between traction and long life...", but all compromises aside, great-handling, soft(ish) rubber is wasted on my FJR 85% of the time and the missus (NOT the most understanding person in the world when it comes to money SHE'S not spending) finds my tire buying habits, 3 to 4 times a year, a trifle excessive. Frankly, in a way, so do I.

So my plans are to continue with "sporty" tires, on a separate set of wheels, for weekend riding, when I have time, and a set of no-compromise, high mileage tires for the un-fun daily grind.

So is there a tire/brand out there you folks would recommend?

I don't care about "taking it to the edge" every minute I ride. Longevity is my FIRST priority.

I DO care about replacing worn out skins every 3 or so months. This shit's gettin' 'spensive!

Someplace, though I can't find it, JeffAshe did a test and report using a Metzler 880 rear and (I think) a Diablo front. It was supposed to be a good combo.

Got the best mileage outta the original Azaros, unfortunately no longer available, and the replacement appears to have issues. Have BS 021's now, jury still out on these mileage wise, but they are the least expensive of all the major players, and work nicely to boot. Wise shopping gets them for a little over two c notes for the pair, Southwest Moto comes to mind. Some guys are running the Metzler 880 cruiser tire for a low cost, high mileage alternative, but I think you have to drop or raise one size, don't recall which, on the rear. Hard as a rock, supposedly last forever, and handle appropriately.

Edit-MM2 must hover over the keyboard so as to always be the first responder, like he's a internet paramedic or sumpin..... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the best mileage outta the original Azaros, unfortunately no longer available, and the replacement appears to have issues. Have BS 021's now, jury still out on these mileage wise, but they are the least expensive of all the major players, and work nicely to boot. Wise shopping gets them for a little over two c notes for the pair, Southwest Moto comes to mind. Some guys are running the Metzler 880 cruiser tire for a low cost, high mileage alternative, but I think you have to drop or raise one size, don't recall which, on the rear. Hard as a rock, supposedly last forever, and handle appropriately.
Second vote for Metz 880s. Makes sense...they're all over the hits Google gives me for "Goldwing Tires". :)

Really more concerned with mileage, not handling. Save that for the Avons or Pilots on the weekend.

Edit-MM2 must hover over the keyboard so as to always be the first responder, like he's a internet paramedic or sumpin..... :lol:
Summa Cum Laude from the University of TWN. :rofl:

I have 200+ on michelin pilot road 2's. Very happy with the way they grip the road in wet weather and they also corner well too. I previously had Pirelli Diablo Stratas and they were also a very good tire. Should get alot more mileage out of the pilot roads though. Time will tell.

I have 200+ on michelin pilot road 2's. Very happy with the way they grip the road in wet weather and they also corner well too. I previously had Pirelli Diablo Stratas and they were also a very good tire. Should get alot more mileage out of the pilot roads though. Time will tell.
No offense, but is that a typo? 200+? As in miles? Not sure I get the point. 200 miles is barely scrubbed in. Certainly not enough to develop a feeling on the longevity of the tire.

However, I do know on my ZRX, about a buck and change lighter than the Feej, only gets about 6k out of PRs, as I've been down that "Road". :)

While the Roads certainly aren't Pilot Sports in comparing longevity, they still don't come to the forefront in my mind as a long distance tire.

Or did you mean 20,000+? If so, you need to hook me up with your antigravity drive. :)

I don't know about any hard as nails tires that would give good mileage and still some decent feel.

But if I was in your shoes and going with two sets of wheels, I might simply consider a cheaper tire... The Shinko's or Chen Sings or what ever cheezy brands.

I recently did a Matrix of tire prices including all sizes that I could find that fit... a set of Raven's was a mere $159.95 for both @ Tires Unlimited

MAW had the cheapest prices, but the bent you over HARD on shipping. SWMoto still had the best overall pricing.

If you consider Shinkos, also check with RideNow.com. IIRC, the pair was less than $155 shipped. I can't comment on mileage yet. I totalled the feej before I got to the Shinkos. I've just about worn out the EOM's on the FZ, but that is a whole different bike with different weight. Prolly won't be good info for a feej comparison.

Back in my misspent youth, I used to campaign a hotted-up REO Curved Dash in SCCA Solo II (autocrossing for you uninitiates).
Fixed. Civic, tch'yah, right! :rolleyes:

FWIW, my GL1800 came with Dunlops (can't remember which model). Got 15,000 outta the rear and prolly coulda got 25k or better outta the front.

Back in my misspent youth, I used to campaign a hotted-up REO Curved Dash in SCCA Solo II (autocrossing for you uninitiates).
Fixed. Civic, tch'yah, right! :rolleyes:

FWIW, my GL1800 came with Dunlops (can't remember which model). Got 15,000 outta the rear and prolly coulda got 25k or better outta the front.
When I saw the message in my Outhouse Express Inbox that YOU'D replied to my post, I thought "OH SHIT, THERE GOES THE THREAD!" but, in spite of the REO quip, you managed to keep on topic.

Better mark this day down. :)

I'm beginning to think something designed for a 900 pound behemoth should last longer on the comparative featherweight Feej.

15k IS something I could live with. 25k would be a treat. I'm guessing physics says the same tire would last even longer on a 300 pound lighter platform.

I know, I know...the manuals say the diff ain't 300, but I bet real life would be closer to the truth.

Of course, you'll have to check to be sure, but I don't remember seeing Dunlop Elites that will fit the feej.

edit: Their web site shows only one 17 inch tire made for the front. No 17's for the rear. Too bad, they make a rear tire with a max. load rating of over a half ton!

Dunlop Elites

Looks like the word is out on the ME880 rear!

Metzeler ME880 170/60VR-17 Rear sorry out of stockCode: 11011943

Price: $141.95
The ME880 rear and Diablo Strada front, should be a 10-12,000 mile combination for most, perhaps more for some.

IMO, if you go with anything harder you may be compromising your safety. I would not want to give up the excellent braking action of the Feej, and the ME880 is sticky enough to withstand a good 80-90% of the brute torque.

I just mounted a set of BT021s, so I have nothing to offer about them yet.