angel ST update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krotchrocketgrampa

Reaction score
at 9,200 miles was on my third set of tires,we wont go there

have about 3,220 on the new angels ,and am very impressed with wear, just barely starting to cup,but still many miles left on tires,am guessing close to at least another 2,00 miles,and that will be great,am running 42 psi front and rear and seems to have pleanty of grip,will post update on final mileage :clapping:

You might want to try some michelin PR2's next time around. I put over 13K on the front without any cupping. Its seems to be the tire of choice at this time. Currently running my second set.

Edit: No need to start another tire thread here. Plenty of info if you go look for it.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to try some michelin PR2's next time around. I put over 13K on the front without any cupping. Its seems to be the tire of choice at this time. ...
I respectfully disagree.

Pirelli Angel is a damn fine performing tire. Unfortunately the life expectancy of the rear Angel on a hard-ridden FJR is not much more than its predecessor, the Diablo Strada.

Individual tire choices across the same bike, often represent a choice of position on the "Tread-life to Performance" sliding scale.

I was pretty happy with my Angels until the rear one let me down at just over 5k miles. I had been keeping an eye on it at every stop, but still did not have enough warning to prevent me from being stranded with a worn through tire 100 miles from home. I was about to give up on Angels, but Ionbeam suggested that I try the E spec. It doesn't cost much more, so I ordered one. I haven't got it yet. I also ordered a new PR2. I know I can get 12k out of one of those.

I do like the Angel front a lot more than the PR2 front; it has shown no sign of cupping after 5k miles, and looks like it has a lot more miles on it.

I was pretty happy with my Angels until the rear one let me down at just over 5k miles. I had been keeping an eye on it at every stop, but still did not have enough warning to prevent me from being stranded with a worn through tire 100 miles from home. I was about to give up on Angels, but Ionbeam suggested that I try the E spec. It doesn't cost much more, so I ordered one. I haven't got it yet. I also ordered a new PR2. I know I can get 12k out of one of those.
I do like the Angel front a lot more than the PR2 front; it has shown no sign of cupping after 5k miles, and looks like it has a lot more miles on it.
Anyone tried an angel front and PRII rear combination?

Anyone tried an angel front and PRII rear combination?
Not exactly. I've run a Strada front and PRII rear. They did NOT like each other. Although the roll profiles "measured" nearly identical, the Mich PR2 footprint rolls very differently than the Strada, making the bike turn very weird.

I'm assuming that since the Strada and Angel are so close in design, the same problem would occur between an Angel front and PRII rear.

However, I am about to retreat back to my old reliable standard, except running an Angel front/RoadSmart rear combo, instead of Strada/RoadSmart.

I'm currently running Angel front/Roadsmart rear combo. I'm no expert, but they seem to be good so far. I'll know more after a few thousand miles.

Of course, if I like them then it seems they wont be made anymore. <_<

I'm currently running Angel front/Roadsmart rear combo. I'm no expert, but they seem to be good so far. I'll know more after a few thousand miles.
I'm betting the Angel front/RoadSmart rear, will become our new East Coast Combo. The riders out west have much better luck with the PR2 than us Easterners. The differences in road surfaces and tire demands from one side of the USA to the other, never cease to amaze me.

Of course, if I like them then it seems they wont be made anymore. <_<
You can bet on it!

Am I the only one to stockpile several Strada fronts? Bet they'll be worth money in the future? If not, they'll be a real pleasure to run!

...Strada...? Bet they'll be worth money in the future? If not, they'll be a real pleasure to run!
Back in the early-mid '80s, Pirelli had the sport-touring tire -- the Phantom (it's currently being factory fitted on the Ducati Sport Classics). They were very popular back then. There was even a rumor, then, that U.S. distributors and Pirelli were air-freighting quantities of them over in mid-summer to satisfy demand (price wasn't much of an issue)... :rolleyes:

I just put on an ANGEL pair. I was going to get the PRII but my mechanic raved about the Angels. So far it handles much better than the Z6. I will let you know how they progress.

I just put on a pair of ANGELS. I was going to buy the PRIIs but my mechanic raved about the Angels! So far I love the handling!

at 9,200 miles was on my third set of tires,we wont go therehave about 3,220 on the new angels ,and am very impressed with wear, just barely starting to cup,but still many miles left on tires,am guessing close to at least another 2,00 miles,and that will be great,am running 42 psi front and rear and seems to have pleanty of grip,will post update on final mileage :clapping:
I have a set of Angels waiting in my garage to go when my crappy BT021's are worn out. Which should be soon. I have read alot of great reviews on these tires so I can't wait to give them a try.

Eric

Dammit... I was going to go with the Angel front and Roadsmart rear, just because I had such good luck with the predecessor, Strada / Roadsmaht combo. My last pair was exquisitely paired such the the front was installed 2k before the back, so that they actually wore out together! :blink: And that was at 8k rear / 10k front. :thumbsup:

For the home tire changer, I'm not entirely sure that is sucjh a good deal, since it means you will have two wheels to change at once. For me, in this case, it was excellent as I changed them both before the state inspection and (more impotently) before my annual week long vacation ride. Lat year I was sweating the rear tire, though, as it turned out, I had plenty of meat for the miles.

Anyway, I got myself a set of PR2's at a price I couldn't refuse (thanks Bob) and I'm gonna test the PR2 F&R combo together. So far, I'm quite impressed. I wish they balance marked their tires, but they run smooth after mounting.

I'm not a big proponent for matched (brand) tire sets

I just put on an ANGEL pair. I was going to get the PRII but my mechanic raved about the Angels. So far it handles much better than the Z6. I will let you know how they progress.
I just put on a pair of ANGELS. I was going to buy the PRIIs but my mechanic raved about the Angels! So far I love the handling!

There's an echo in here, almost.

Your hand me down PR2s are feeling pretty damn good right now Bob...

I was really surprised how smooth they ride considering how much lead I had to stick on my wheels. :blink:

It took me 52 grams total, located at the wheel's known light spot (20 gram) at the valve stem. So, I could have marked the tire, broken the bead and rotated it on the wheel 180 degrees, but figured I'd run it as is and move it if I feel any vibes. Happy to say all is smooth up to a ton.

Your hand me down PR2s are feeling pretty damn good right now Bob...
I was really surprised how smooth they ride considering how much lead I had to stick on my wheels. :blink:
Fred

After 5000, and the rear tire cups you wont be surprised anymore, because they will vibrate. :blink:

Although only when you lean. And especially when 2 up. Not like we do either to often. :blink:

Sorry for being a smart ass, but that was just my experience. The tires had lots of tread left, but the rear was cupping so bad I thought it would be unsafe at warp speed corners. The vibes I was feeling was the rear tire on and off the road because of the cupping. That can't be good for traction.