Anniversary Farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZsdad

Mr. Bill goes for a ride!
Reaction score
Yep my wife of 33 almost 34 years has offered a farkle of my choice as an anniversary present.

Only catch is it must make the bike more conspicuous. Lights is where I'm going. Here's the question

Have any studies been done on which is more conspicuous fender mounted driving lights or lights

mounted up higher say by the mirrors ? I'm considering the HELLA MICRO DE XENON DRIVING LAMP KIT

for up high and the PIAA 1100X for the fender mount.

Considering the Asshat :asshat2: I can be at times I have no idea why it must be a conspicuous farkle.

Best bang for the buck is also a consideration.

www.clearwaterlights.com

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/459700..._32266c5984.jpg

4597002453_32266c5984.jpg

Hyperlites CLICKY

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think making yourself more conspicuous from behind (where you can't see the asshats) is even more important than in front.
I highly recomend this: Whelen LIN-3 and Programmable flasher - 3rd brake light
The Whelen looks interesting but how/where to mount this on a Gen II. If you fab a bracket it may work between the license plate lamp holder

and the tail light assembly.

Certainly looks like a quality piece though, Thanks

I think making yourself more conspicuous from behind (where you can't see the asshats) is even more important than in front.
The Whelen looks interesting but how/where to mount this on a Gen II. If you fab a bracket it may work between the license plate lamp holder

No bracket required, fits perfectly between the lamp holder and the plate and doesn't block the plate lamp . . . here's some close up pics of my install . . .

WhelenLIN3-1.jpg

WhelenLIN3-2.jpg

Two small strategically placed holes get the wires up into the tail light area . . . it's just a simple wiring exercise from there!

This is one of the most affordable and effective farkles I've ever installed.

No bracket required, fits perfectly between the lamp holder and the plate and doesn't block the plate lamp . . . here's some close up pics of my install . . .

WhelenLIN3-1.jpg

WhelenLIN3-2.jpg

Two small strategically placed holes get the wires up into the tail light area . . . it's just a simple wiring exercise from there!

This is one of the most affordable and effective farkles I've ever installed.
I would have bet it would not fit there. I saw a video of the LIN3 and it look too big for that spot.

Being one of little patience I ordered the hyper lites U32 kit yesterday afternoon. Now after seeing your

pics, I wonder if one can have too many get off my ass lights.

no1passesme I noticed your location is Antelope. It rang a bell so I googled it. Duh... I use to live just off Antelope Rd.

in the late 70's. Close enough to hear the humping yard in the middle of the night. Had friends that worked at SP.

Thanks for posting the pics.

I would have bet it would not fit there. I saw a video of the LIN3 and it look too big for that spot.Being one of little patience I ordered the hyper lites U32 kit yesterday afternoon. Now after seeing your

pics, I wonder if one can have too many get off my ass lights.

no1passesme I noticed your location is Antelope. It rang a bell so I googled it. Duh... I use to live just off Antelope Rd.

in the late 70's. Close enough to hear the humping yard in the middle of the night. Had friends that worked at SP.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Yep, I did some very careful measuring before ordering. Actually, I think I measured about 10 times and it still surprised me when it fit.

And, yes, I can year the trains at night as well. I'm just off of Poker lane.

That's really too bad. I think you'll be disappointed with the Hyperlights in comparison to the Whelen. The Whelen is much brighter and more attention getting.

That's really too bad. I think you'll be disappointed with the Hyperlights in comparison to the Whelen. The Whelen is much brighter and more attention getting.

I am going to find out. I just ordered the LIN3 from the info the DaJudge posted. I'm assuming the controller that comes

with the Hyperlites will drive 3 separate lamp units. I picked up a used premirer cycle givi plate awhile back. Still looking for

a lightly used V46. I'd like to attach the Hypers to the bottom of that plate. If not I have another spot in mine.

Thanks for suggesting the LIN3 and the link to DaJudge's post.

Dave

Yep, I did some very careful measuring before ordering. Actually, I think I measured about 10 times and it still surprised me when it fit.

And, yes, I can year the trains at night as well. I'm just off of Poker lane.

I kinda miss the humping yard sounds. But not the weird dreams of metallic monsters mating.

Sometime's I'd wake up in the middle of the night horny as hell. Maybe that why my wife wants to

move back there. :blushing:

I kinda miss the humping yard sounds. But not the weird dreams of metallic monsters mating. Sometime's I'd wake up in the middle of the night horny as hell. Maybe that why my wife wants to

That was the '70's? I remember the '70's. I used to wake up horny then too. :rolleyes:

Did you live near Antelope when the trainload of 500-lb bombs blew up that Saturday morning in 1973?

I kinda miss the humping yard sounds. But not the weird dreams of metallic monsters mating. Sometime's I'd wake up in the middle of the night horny as hell. Maybe that why my wife wants to

That was the '70's? I remember the '70's. I used to wake up horny then too. :rolleyes:

Did you live near Antelope when the trainload of 500-lb bombs blew up that Saturday morning in 1973?
I missed the excitement in 73 I did not get to the Sacramento area til 78. I heard stories about that day in

73 but not until we had signed the papers on the new house. IIRC it was not just one big blast but went

on for awhile. In 83 I moved up between Auburn and Coloma. Put lots of miles on the GS1000 in that area.

I've been running a Sound Off Ghost on the back of my bagger and will buy another when I get an FJR. I'm running the standard 33 flash unit on my bike. They now make a stop/tail version. I get comments all the time about how visible my bike is from the rear. Had a state trooper tell me he liked it and thought it could be a life saver. ~$100 and it's a 2 wires, 12v, totally self contained, nothing else needed.

https://www.soundoffsignal.com/warnamber/ddg/ddg_GHOST.htm

or in a sufrace mount version

https://www.soundoffsignal.com/warnamber/su...M_GHOST_Sgl.htm

video

That unit looks good.

Technically, you could install the Whelen LIN3 by itself too. Just wire up the LED unit to the brake light switched power. But when you do that the LED will continuously flash (in whichever programmed flash pattern you have selected) all the time that the brake is depressed.

I thought that would be a bit extreme, would probably be pretty annoying to any following vehicles (including friends), and wanted the ability to make it strobe for a short time followed by steady on. If I want it to flash again I just release the brake and reapply it. The 3rd brake light flasher module is a real bargain anyway at only $20

Last edited by a moderator: