another brake bleed fiasco.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjryder

Reaction score
08 fjr with 4.5K. the clutch fluid algae green colored. brake fluid dirty. so i decided to change the brake and clutch fluids. i've done it before on my 04' with no problem.

knowing my 08 has abs and linked brakes, i read write ups and others' experiences before I begin. here's what i did:

used MityVac.

bled front left 1st.

bled front right 2nd.

no problem so far. was very careful not to introduce air into the system. everything went fine.

moved to bleed the center nipple on the front right caliper. no fluid being extracted. open the nipple a little more than quater turn. still no liquids being pulled out. have plenty of vacuum according to mityvac. crank open the fitting a little more, maybe a full turn now. plenty of vacuum, but no liquids being extracted. not losing suction. no liquids.

i think maybe i need to bleed rear brake before the front center nipple. same thing happens. plenty of vacuum, but no liquids being pulled out. decided to pressurize the system. put the cover back on the master cyclinder and pressure the system. crank open the center nipple. still nothing. try to bleed rear brake. no fluids. cant figure it out. front brake pressurized fine and works fine. the rear brake has no pressure and does not work. cant seem to bring up any pressure no matter how many pumps. i'm fairly sure there is trapped air somewhere. just dont know how to get it out and re-pressurize the rear brakes.

read many many threads about bleeding abs brakes, but nothing seems to address my particular problem. help would be appreciated.

Nasty! I'm not a Gen2 or FJR ABS guy so I can't help. But man is it really that nasty to bleed Gen2 brakes? :dribble:

My 1995 Beemer had no issues bleeding the lines with ABS, and I i've had no issues with the 2005 (best year FeeJ!!) :D

Good luck.

Come on Gen2ers, help out! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on bleeding my brakes in about a week in the exact same way described. I will be watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for posting up.

Sorry, haven't done mine yet, the PO just had it done before I picked it up last July. I'll be watching this thread too.

I don't have a Gen 2, but I have bled a lot of brakes on a lot of vehicles.

If you put the bike on the center stand and turn the back wheel by hand then push down on the rear brake lever, does the wheel stop? Did it ever work from new?

Do the rear brakes feel mushy or springy at the pedal? Air is compressible so if you have air in the lines you will feel it compress.

Does the rear brake pedal return to it's rest position? Many people have had the pedal bind due to spooge between the pedal and the shaft it mounts on. Take the pedal off and clean it up if necessary.

That is bizare. I have installed speed bleeders on gen 2 and 1 over the last few weeks and never had the problem you are describing. AS Geezer said. Check to make to sure that your brakes work first of all. Do you even have oil in the rear reservoir? Mightyvac should have pulled the oil if it is there. Considering that it did not I suspect there is no oil, or some really fucked up shit is going on as neither front nor rear gave any oil per your description.

I bled mine a couple a weeks ago with no problems.

Sounds like a loose nut might be yur problem.

The one holding the mightyvac...

:)

Try it again when yur not drinkin....

Have bled my GEN II brakes twice with out any problems whatsoever. Attempted to use a MityVac ONCE and promptly threw it into the trash and resorted to the old fashioned way.

Make sure you're not confused when bleeding the front brakes and get the wrong bleeder on the right side. This would definitely introduce air into the rear brake system and cause all sorts of grief. Confirm that the rear reservoir has fluid and then work the air out...you might have to resort to pressure bleeding.

Good Luck!

--G

I followed the manual step by step using a mity-vac and no problems. Sorry it didn't work out. Keep at it and something should come up. Only issue was with the clutch cylinder as it had mud/sediment in the bottom and had to clean out and replace the fluid. PM. <>< :D

Have bled my GEN II brakes twice with out any problems whatsoever. Attempted to use a MityVac ONCE and promptly threw it into the trash and resorted to the old fashioned way.
Make sure you're not confused when bleeding the front brakes and get the wrong bleeder on the right side. This would definitely introduce air into the rear brake system and cause all sorts of grief. Confirm that the rear reservoir has fluid and then work the air out...you might have to resort to pressure bleeding.

Good Luck!

--G

Amen - Do not ask me how I know this. Sucked the cap diaphram to bottom of resevoir. I could have reverse bled at that point, but Stupid is as stupid does. Still getting air out of the system. I certainly did not have your problem of no suction or fluid movement. CC