Another happy D&H customer!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Hard to think of what I can say about D&H without repeating everyone else...but I feel obligated to try.[/SIZE]

These are really great folks. Gerald and Renae answered all my questions, executed the business part of the deal efficiently and were the very embodiment of southern hospitality. Nick (the Chief FJR Mechanic) told me more about my bike than all the mechanics I have ever met combined. He is knowledgeable and friendly. Blake (the other Chief Mechanic) regaled me with stories during the ride from the airport, giving me an up close view into life from his perspective. Thanks Blake. I also met the very pleasant Miss Virginia, and the personable Dennis.

As nice as everyone was during my visit, the best time of all was spent with Gerald. His business model is unique and he is unique...and I wanted to find out more about these differences while I was there. He was not shy about sharing his business philosophies with me. This was time very well spent.

Thanks Gerald, Renae, Miss Virginia, Nick, Blake and Dennis, for making this the best motorcycle buying experience of my life! :yahoo:

I just called D&H. They said they were out of 08 FJRs. Did you get the last one?

GP
oh, my. I have been in contact with them looking for an '08. Last Saturday they told me they placed an order the day before for two more. We talked deal and I sent a deposit check to them. They are in the process of contacting Yamaha to get confirmation on the order they placed on Saturday. If all goes according to plan I'll be one of the many satisfied D&H customers come 7/3 when I fly in to buy.

I hope they were simply stating that they are currently out, like they were on Saturday. Their deal can't be beat. Closest deal I got up in the Kansas City area was $750 more.

I'm holding off on buying my plane ticket until I get confirmation from them that we'll be good to go on 7/3.

Lee

I just called D&H. They said they were out of 08 FJRs. Did you get the last one?

GP
oh, my. I have been in contact with them looking for an '08. Last Saturday they told me they placed an order the day before for two more. We talked deal and I sent a deposit check to them. They are in the process of contacting Yamaha to get confirmation on the order they placed on Saturday. If all goes according to plan I'll be one of the many satisfied D&H customers come 7/3 when I fly in to buy.

I hope they were simply stating that they are currently out, like they were on Saturday. Their deal can't be beat. Closest deal I got up in the Kansas City area was $750 more.

I'm holding off on buying my plane ticket until I get confirmation from them that we'll be good to go on 7/3.

Lee
Jerold told me it would be 15 days to get me one - he hit it right on the nose. If I were to do it over again I would send him the check for the bike beforehand, get the bill of sale & cert of origin and then register it here before flying down there with a plate (no temp plates in Alabama).

Just save me some anxiety on the ride home. . .

GP
[SIZE=12pt]I picked up mine on 6/13. Nick had mentioned that mine might be the last 08 FJR he preps. When I commented on this to Gerald, he said that he had one more ordered and another that he was trying to order. Maybe one of these is yours?[/SIZE] :eek:

GP

Lee
Jerold told me it would be 15 days to get me one - he hit it right on the nose. If I were to do it over again I would send him the check for the bike beforehand, get the bill of sale & cert of origin and then register it here before flying down there with a plate (no temp plates in Alabama).

my ride will be through four states, two days, 700 miles. Prepaying would buy some peace of mind.

I've applied for the Yamaha card so i can get the 0 down, 0 payments for 6 months if I want. Renaa mentioned that to me.

Wonder how that would work with the prepay option before picking up the bike.

any idea?

He'll be happy to get you a Concours 1400.
c-14 was on my mind for a while. compared st1300, fjr, c-14, norge and the fjr won out for lots of reasons none of them really major but the culmination was compelling.

Think I'll pass o nthe c-14 adn keep my fingers crossed that they can get another one or two with this past order.

Lee

GP
[SIZE=12pt]I picked up mine on 6/13. Nick had mentioned that mine might be the last 08 FJR he preps. When I commented on this to Gerald, he said that he had one more ordered and another that he was trying to order. Maybe one of these is yours?[/SIZE] :eek:
Hey, slightly off topic but it does involve D&H and how they set up the bike.

Do they untorque the oil drain bolt by any chance?

I've read so much aobut that being over torqued at the factory I'm just wondering what the experience has been of those that bought in Cullman and then did their own first oil change.

any insight?

thanks,

Lee

GP

I've read so much aobut that being over torqued at the factory I'm just wondering what the experience has been of those that bought in Cullman and then did their own first oil change.

any insight?

thanks,

Lee
wow, just noticed I'm no longer a fng....

doesn't seem right since I don't own an fjr yet.

I guess the fng means new to the forum, not the bike...

my ride will be through four states, two days, 700 miles. Prepaying would buy some peace of mind. I've applied for the Yamaha card so i can get the 0 down, 0 payments for 6 months if I want. Renaa mentioned that to me.

any idea?
I don't know why it would make any difference but you should contact Renaa & find out. It may be more worry than substance but it was always in the back of my mind on my ride home.

I am just going to agree with Mackeroni 100%. Back in December I bought my 3rd FJR from D&H and it is the same or better every time. They make sure your head is filled with good information about the care and feeding of this great bike.

I just called them last week to set up for my YES extension on my '07... he (Gerald) just said to send info and a check... casually, like I had just placed a burger order, or a movie ticket... and based on what I've read here in soooo many threads I just said "OK"... like I had just placed a burger order. NEVER in a milliion years would I just send a stranger/business a check without research/face-to-face/past experiences, etc... but I never blinked an eye... They must be karma-junkies 'cause it just felt ok to trust 'em.

C

GP

Lee

my ride will be through four states, two days, 700 miles. Prepaying would buy some peace of mind.

I've applied for the Yamaha card so i can get the 0 down, 0 payments for 6 months if I want. Renaa mentioned that to me.

any idea?

I had the same situation.

I was going to use the card and get the 6 month free interest deal to, but since I wanted the bike to be "legal" (did an eight-state tour on the way home...4200 mile trip) with either temp tags or plate, I couldn't use it to pay for the bike. I had to pay for the bike prior to flying down so they could send me the paperwork to get the plates.

I did this after talking to a Minnesota State Patrol trooper and he said something to the effect that if I was stopped "....it would be at the discretion/mood of the LE officer" as to whether I would get written up or not. In Minnesota, they honor the laws of the state where the vehicle was purchased and since Alabama and/or D&H does not issue temp tags, I would technically be illegal in Minnesota...and quite possibly in other state through which I would be traveling. My luck, I would have been stopped, possibly more than once. Besides the $$$ in fine(s), the good driver discounts on my insurance policies (bikes and cars) could have been in jeopardy. Didn't think it was worth taking the chance.

GP

any insight?

thanks,

Lee
Hey Lee,

Good thinking! Nick had mentioned during my FJR orientation that I should be aware of the factory-overtighted oil drain plug. However, he did not offer to re-torque it, and I did not think to ask. Then just as he predicted, I needed the leverage of a 24 inch torque wrench just to get it off for the first oil change. I think he would probably re-torque it to spec if you asked.