Another happy D&H customer!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my bike at D&H on May 22'nd "oh by the way I consider that her birthday" GREAT PEOPLE.

When i got home I changed the oil the next day. Wasn't any big deal as far as the overtightening on the oil drain plug.

Don't let ODOT know you no longer an FNG without a FJR. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.................(Its Friday!)

I would not buy a first year bike like the Concours. Look how the FJR has improved over the first year. Ditto the Honda ST1300 and the BMW K1200S.

Ron

Not sure if he could offer much of a comparison. I don't think he rides much anymore. Although back in 2003 when I got my FJR from him he told me that the FJR had better fit and finish than the Concours and they had been making them for 10+ years.

Just don't accept everything Jerold tells you as gospel. He recommended to me that I run the tires at lower pressures to improve longevity. I think he mentioned 34 psig for the rear, etc. I tried it and my OE rear tire quickly disappeared. When I bumped the pressure up to 42 psig on the second tire the longevity increased by 30%.

Later, he also had some strange ideas about what might be causing the unusual valve guide wear. He thought it might be caused by synthetic oils. Regrettably, we still don't know the exact cause of the problem. Yamaha changed the valves, the valve guides, and the oil seals and eventually solved the problem I guess.

Do they untorque the oil drain bolt by any chance?I've read so much aobut that being over torqued at the factory I'm just wondering what the experience has been of those that bought in Cullman and then did their own first oil change.

any insight?

thanks,

Lee
I don't know if anyone retorques the drain bolt on the predelivery service, but I can tell you that its not hurting a thing. When I did mine last week, it was set up from the factory at probably something around 70 ft-lbs, while the spec is 31 ft-lbs. Probably the biggest danger here is that a rookie might not realize that the factory initial torque compresses the crush washer so thoroughly, that you have to use a knife to get it off the drain bolt... and it isn't going to give you any crush at all on the second torquing, so it really ought to be replaced at the first service. Its not that hard to break it loose. I used a long needle style torque wrench to do it, and then retorqued with a nice click head style dialed in to 31 ft-lbs, with a new crush washer. No big deal.

Wow... I am surprised! Price looks as good as D&H. I hope they are as friendly and reliable as D&H.

:clapping: :clapping: D & H are the greatest. I picked up a new Versys for my 26yo son this past Saturday 21th and he stated he had 2 FJR's that were supposed to be coming in. He had two in crates in the warehouse , but they were already sold. They really try to make the buying a good experence. I got the last Versys he had in stock and my son really likes it . Put 160 miles on it in two day , and he's a new rider. Gerauld and Renae and mechanics Nick and Blake do an excellent job and they have earned my business. :yahoo:

I stopped by there today on my way to Barber. Very nice people. Very talkative. I think they're realists, and they're mission is to do what they do honestly and efficiently.

I was surprised to find that they are still stocking the Yamalube 20W40 API Service SJ oil. No one in my neck of the woods has it anymore. I bought enough for my next oil change.

There's not a lot to see at the dealership... that helps keep the overhead very low. The reason to stop by is to visit, rather than to browse.

I stopped by there today on my way to Barber. Very nice people. Very talkative. I think they're realists, and they're mission is to do what they do honestly and efficiently.
I was surprised to find that they are still stocking the Yamalube 20W40 API Service SJ oil. No one in my neck of the woods has it anymore. I bought enough for my next oil change.

There's not a lot to see at the dealership... that helps keep the overhead very low. The reason to stop by is to visit, rather than to browse.
Please clarify if you would.

You stopped by D&H or Smith Bros in Oneonta?

Both were mentioned above.

Thanks.

Lee

The thread's supposed to be feedback about D&H. I stopped there.

I didn't realize the thread had been hijacked to include other dealers.

Took my bike to D & H on the 20th to hear the "TICK" and they could not tell me what it was. His only recommendation is that I need to run Kawasaki 20/50w motoroil and then if that doesn't fix it they would look into it. Bike was purchased new in 2005 from D & H, I picked it up used with 17,000 miles. They didn't seem to thrilled about looking at what was happening.

Very noticable at 3200 to 3600rpm. I see alot of threads on this subject any help with information I can give to D & H to help resolve this? Also is there any harm in riding my bike with this TICK?