Another helmet ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Since I can't find the perfect helmet(light weight helmet w/sunshade) or can't afford it (Shuberth). I was thinking of getting the HJC open face helmet with sunshade, because when its hot I ride with my KBC FFR flip helmet in the up position, I know I'm not supposed to but when its hot I like the wind in my face. So my question is do you guys ever have multible helmets for different weather conditions?

If it's hot, (and it does get hot where I live) I may crack the face shield open a tad. I'm still not convinced about the flip ups. ATGATT for me. Period.

I like the Shark Evoline 2. The only downside was that it was difficult to get my Sena SMH speakers in there. Finally got them to fit but it took alot of fiddling around.

Overall I like the Shark helmets (Evoline 2 and RSR2) though I just picked up an Arai RX-Q and I'll have to say the quality may just be a tad better on the Arai.

Another good choice IMO: Scorpion EXO-900. Flip-up, retractable sunshade, removable chin bar makes it into a 3/4 helmet, and lighter "than some." Not sure if it's the lightest one, period. And I don't share the concern about modulars--all my helmets are modulars. In my fairly major crash, on the relatively inexpensive modular I was wearing (not the Scorpion), the chin bar and right side were pretty deeply gouged. Not my head. I don't use the Scorpion any longer due to a head-shape vs. helmet-shape issue. The Multi-Tec fits me much better. (The Scorpion is fairly reasonably priced, too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've have a full faced, ICON Domain helmet. Its very light weight and has lots of vents. I won't wear anything less than a full faced helmet. If its supper hot out and I'm gonna be on the bike for a few hours, Ill put a gallon water jug in the side bag. :ph34r:

My answer is YES, I have different helmets for different uses.

But I never compromise my safety. I recall reading in Proficient Motorcycling that something like 76% of head impacts are to the chin area, so no matter how hot it gets I wear a full face helmet (modular's are included, but the chinbar is always in the locked down position when riding.

I have an HJC CL-SP which I use on the track / range as I don't care what if looks like, flows lots of air and is easy to don / doff.

But for longer rides I have a Bell Vortex ($100 on last year's model at sportbiketrackgear.com) which is nicer than the HJC yet still flows lots of air.

For your purposes, the J1 looks like a good compromise.

I use this in high heat summer. Schuberth J1

I love it and it is pretty quiet which is one of it's features.
That helmet looks nice but not much cheaper than the C3.
According to that description, the J1 isn't DOT approved, nor is it sold in the U.S. I've got a Scorpion EXO-1000 that's heavier than hell and has vents that don't seem to do anything. I'm looking at that NEXX XR1R Carbon. Pricy, but really lightweight.

According to that description, the J1 isn't DOT approved, nor is it sold in the U.S. I've got a Scorpion EXO-1000 that's heavier than hell and has vents that don't seem to do anything. I'm looking at that NEXX XR1R Carbon. Pricy, but really lightweight.
How old is that EXO1000? That's actually the helmet I have been wanting. I've heard mostly good stuff and the claimed weight is in the 3.5lb range.

Is yours like a previous model, or a newer one? I think personal experience is better than magazine reviews any day of the week.

I use this in high heat summer. Schuberth J1

I love it and it is pretty quiet which is one of it's features.
That helmet looks nice but not much cheaper than the C3.
You are correct the J1 is not DOT only Snell. I have ridden it all of the Country and been stopped and seen by many police in it. Never an issue, nor a second look. I do not think any policeman would write you up for having a J1 on your head but who knows? Had a WV State Policeman stand and talk with us a few ago for about 1/2 - 45 minuets and he saw us in full gear and our helmets on our bike and never said a word except he liked my friends BMW 1200RT.

You can order one from the UK as I did, and it was not too expensive. You may also watch e-bay but they have been rare.

I just needed something cool as PA has turned into a humid, tropic Summer over the last few years. Oppressive humidity with 90's is the norm it seems. Wasn't always like this here but it has changed very much over my 54 years here.

I wanted something light, quiet, and from a manufacturer well known and innovative.

Not everyone's cup of tea but as I said it is my Summer lid and will be until I find another I like better.

I will say it again, the gmax modular series is a great helmet. For fitment, quality design, inner Sun visor and flashy rear light, it's by far the best bang for the buck imho.

And since I freeway crash tested the 44model, I can stand behind it's safety and solid build. And yes, head bumped the road. Bought the new model in white to replace it.

How old is that EXO1000? That's actually the helmet I have been wanting. I've heard mostly good stuff and the claimed weight is in the 3.5lb range.

Is yours like a previous model, or a newer one? I think personal experience is better than magazine reviews any day of the week.
My Scorpion is new (bought it same time as the bike: June 4 '11) I also read reviews of that helmet, thought it sounded good. I don't really dislike it, just feel it's awfully heavy (though well balanced). The face shield works well, the drop-down inner shade is nice. Kinda gimmicky, but OK. I would like to experience one of those ultra-lightweight carbon lids. Like most things, helmets are pretty much a personal preference. What is a great for one may be a POS for another.

I have the Scorpion exo900 & maybe it`s my windshield (calsi +2) but it is very noisy :angry2: & have no choice but to wear ear plugs. But then i have to crank up my ipod to almost full max to hear it play with my starcom headset. If i knew it was that noisy i would have bought the exo1000 full face instead. (or saved my money & just used the HJC i have had for years) :glare: