Another key problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
I went on my normal Sunday morning ride this morning and after coffee decided to stay for lunch. I tried to remove my key from the ignition since I would be inside and no luck. I could turn it to any position but could not remove it. After I got home I hit it with a shot of WD-40 and got the key out. I noticed at that time there was a slight bend in the key. I must have left it in the sun too long.

A bit confused, was the bend from the removal or the sun? Or the sun caused the key to become even softer than normal, if thats possible?

A bit confused, was the bend from the removal or the sun? Or the sun caused the key to become even softer than normal, if thats possible?
I don't know how the bend in the key got there, but it was not bent in the removal process. Popular legend has it that a Yamaha key is so soft it will melt in the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Popular legend has it that a Yamaha key is so soft it will melt in the sun
Legend also has it that the key is so soft that once bent, place it on a table bend side up, and by morning the key will be flat again.
It seems in the other key thread nobody clicked the on click here. If you want a durable, hard key you are looking for an ilco X248____YM63 You give away the molded Yamaha key head and while the ilco is long, it is hard and durable.

I have experienced (2) symptoms with a bent key...

The same as you've described, it works but doesn't want to come out without some persuasion (but will go in just fine).

- or -

It will go in but won't turn...

Usually this happens right after I've been in or out of my side bag and have been dallying around for a while and probably have bumped the key.

When I realize this, I remove said key, check, and it's always bent. (though not very much). I have plenty of spares now. Just waiting for the day I snap that sucker of trying to straighten it.

hopefully that won't be when it's in a lock. :/ But murphy says it will be in the lock. :/

i'm no metalurgist -- but I think if you heat the key (like with a propane torch or something), and stick it in vermiculite (or something very insulative), to allow it to cool very slowly -- that process will make the key less maleable (more stiffer as they say)

I'd rather it bend and be forgiving than snap off in the lock...

As for heat treating the pot-metal they make the factory keys out of I kinda doubt it ...

Where's Fred when you need him? Oh, that's right he was run off. :rolleyes:

Same situation for me today. Had been in the bags a few times and went to pull the key from the ignition, and had trouble. Got it out and it was bent 1/2 way down. Bent it reasonably straight with my hands. Interesting I put 14000 miles on a VSTAR1100 without bags and it never happened. I'm getting spares and going to be extra careful with the key in the bags. I usually run without bags, and haven't had this problem before.

i'm no metalurgist -- but I think if you heat the key (like with a propane torch or something), and stick it in vermiculite (or something very insulative), to allow it to cool very slowly -- that process will make the key less maleable (more stiffer as they say)
Actually, IIRC, that's called annealing and it "softens" the metal. I think the trick would be to heat the key and quench it to make it "harder" (read: more brittle).

Actually, IIRC, that's called annealing and it "softens" the metal. I think the trick would be to heat the key and quench it to make it "harder" (read: more brittle).
that would work for carbon steel, but not brass/bronze.

that would work for carbon steel, but not brass/bronze.

Does anyone make a key blank out of tougher material?

FJRayJ

Does anyone make a key blank out of tougher material?
FJRayJ
Yes. I had extra keys made on Ilco blanks and they appear to be steel. IF you go this route, make sure the keys are "perfect" and the keyways are lubed as a harder material will not be kind to the lockset if there is much deviation. I'm sure this is why Yamaha uses a more malleable metal for their keys.

In fact, I use one of the original Yamaha keys for the ignition but have the "extra" keys either in my riding pant's pocket or on a lanyard (inside my riding jacket) for opening the sidecases.

Bent mine taking it out of the saddle bag lock at an angle. Straigtened it holding my breath then it would not turn in ignition! More straightening and now it works.

Going to get a couple of ilcos made as I am sure I will break the dam thing sooner or later.