Another key problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good ideas all. But what about the chip that's under the plastic of the OEM key?
Well, my well endowed man-boob friend, we who live in Southern Canada don't get that OEM ignition set-up. It's reserved for you who live in more Northern climes. Therefore we can go to any business that makes keys and have one made for us. You could do as I posted above: get an extra key or two made and use them for any auxiliary locks (seat, sidecases, topcase). I use a single Yamaha key on a plastic fob for the ignition.

Or spend the $100 + Canadian to have an extra ignition key made.

Good ideas all. But what about the chip that's under the plastic of the OEM key?
Well, my well endowed man-boob friend, we who live in Southern Canada don't get that OEM ignition set-up. It's reserved for you who live in more Northern climes. Therefore we can go to any business that makes keys and have one made for us. You could do as I posted above: get an extra key or two made and use them for any auxiliary locks (seat, sidecases, topcase). I use a single Yamaha key on a plastic fob for the ignition.

What chip?.....my 04 has no stinkin chip.....what are talking about my mad (or is it insane) friend?... :blink:

What chip?.....my 04 has no stinkin chip.....what are talking about my mad (or is it insane) friend?... :blink:
Hey...hey...hey, Dwavey started it! :bleh: I am surmising that Dwavey has a bike newer than '04 and, IIRC, they came with the Euro style ignition with a chip in the key for security purposes. Do try and keep up, would'ja? :lol:

What do we have a bunch of gorillas on this forum? "Ug, Me turn'm with wrench!" :p I have never bent a key on a bike in over 40 yrs. of riding. Use a little "Lock Ease" once in a while guys! Where do you think that rain water goes? Lube it!

What do we have a bunch of gorillas on this forum? "Ug, Me turn'm with wrench!" :
I honestly believe that the keys are softer than normal. Couple that with some owners having them on a keyring and that in their front pocket, voila', bent key. It doesn't take much of a bend to cause the problems described above.

What do we have a bunch of gorillas on this forum? "Ug, Me turn'm with wrench!" :p I have never bent a key on a bike in over 40 yrs. of riding. Use a little "Lock Ease" once in a while guys! Where do you think that rain water goes? Lube it!
Is petroleum jelly ok? been using it since puberty. :clapping: It won't hurt anything will it?

Never used lock ease.. :D

Funny thing is that this afternoon I found one of the two extra keys that I had made. It was from an Ilco blank and it was bent.

My key has gotten balky twice.

Once, I had trouble turning it into or out of the lock position. I shot some WD40 in it and it fixed it.

Then later, I had trouble turning it from the off position to the on position. Since I was far from home, and I happened to be with a guy that needed to stop by a dealer for something, I asked if I could use some WD40 and they said sure and I squirted some in there and no more problems since.

By the way, it was a Harley dealer so they go a big kick out of loaning me some good ol' 'merican lube to fix my Yammie's jappy ignition switch. But they were nice enough about it and didn't charge me for it, probably because there was no HD logo on the WD40, the only product there without one.

I don't think the key is bent. I think the cylinder/pin mechanism getes gunked up from riding in the rain or something and the WD is exactly meant to solve that problem, and it does.