Another newbie question: riding position !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a FatBoy and a Road King before my FJR. Easy transition for seating. Difficult transition because of increased performance. :yahoo:

Biggest adjustment I found was getting used to where to put my feet after years of "lazy boy" feet foreward seating. Oh and the throttle respose thingy :yahoo:

As far as your back? I can't say to much, my lower back has been a pain for years, the feej doesn't seem to make it any worse but it helps me forget about it when I'm throttling up :D

:jester:

I have a bad disk in my lower back. I find that a slightly leaned forward riding position is actually more comfortable than sitting upright. On some days it is a little difficult to get my leg over the seat, but once in the saddle I am fine.

Coming from a cruiser I put risers on the bars. But after riding about 1500 miles I took them off. So I guess I used the risers till I got more used to the new riding position. Once I got used to the position I supported myself more with my legs and torso, not my hands and shoulders. Now I feel awkward if not sitting in a forward lean!

On the cruiser my lower back would bark at me at times (especially at large bumps). But not once has it complained on the FJR. The slight forward position is much better for my back.

i would recommend risers and the heli triple clamp to move the bars back. Theres a lesson to be learned from "long distance" bike setups. its much easier on your back and ass if your in a slightly forward position. The stock FJR will probably be too far forward for you. The heli triple clamp will put you in a more upright position. If it wasnt for engine heat and weight, i might possible recommend an ST1300 if your concerned with being too far foward. the riding position for that bike is "less sporty' than the FJR but moving that sucker around the garage is a back breaking experience. whatever it takes to get you a little more upright on the Fjr will probably do the trick.

GreyGoose

I had a FatBoy and a Road King before my FJR. Easy transition for seating. Difficult transition because of increased performance. :yahoo:
That was great, LOL.

I have a friend that rode a Sportster and it hurt his back, particularly when going over bumps. When he rode his Honda 600F4i, he did not experience such problems. So as others have stated, a slightly forward position is easier on the back and won't jam the spine. I don't have any problems with the FJR's riding postion and is quite comfortable in all day rides with no fatigue.

Going from a crusier type bike to an FJR, how hard is it to transition to the FJR riding position ?

By the time you've gotten it home you've made the transition. :eek:k: Not hard at all, quite fun actually. The position at least for me, is far more ergonomically correct... (have completed many 12 hour stints in the saddle) ... member when you were a :punk: kid, sloutching :nono: in the chair and your mother would say, "sit up straight" ... she always knew best!

I am always fond of being on top. Under doesn't work well. No really, I like the upright much more. On a FJR, think of a cat getting ready to pounce. On a cruiser, think of a cat licking hisself. There is a mental picture. :dribble:

Came from the cruiser myself and thought I had made the wrong choice after leaving the dealer. But as mentioned the FJR seating position allows more support for the back. The FJR IMO gives support mainly because your feet are under your arse so the legs are actually part of the support system. You can even raise your rear off the seat if a bump/pothole appear which one has a problem doing on a cruiser especially with forward controls. Just give yourself several hundred miles to make the transition and I don't think you will regret it. PM. <>< :coolsmiley02:

Going from a crusier type bike to an FJR, how hard is it to transition to the FJR riding position ?
Also 55 years young here with some minor back probelms, any comments ?

I have several herniated discs in my lower back. I find the slight lean over much, much better for my back. The trick, as I'm sure you'll learn, is to *not* support your weight on your wrists but rather to train your body to hold yourself up with your abs and back/butt muscles. It takes time, but it's well worth the time spent.

I went from a Harley Custom Sportster with forward controls and drag bars to the FJR. Before the switch, I didn't think I'd enjoy the feet-back position, because I'm quite tall ("Oooooh, Jb, you are Soooo tall...."--that's what all the babes tell me, constantly). I figured my knees would be up in my chest, and in fact the "larger" Harleys I'd sat on with the position-back pegs were uncomfortable. Also, I have a bad lower back.

When I test-rode the FJR, I fell into the position comfortably immediately and never looked back. It's much better than the recliner-couch position. You're much more engaged with the machine and performance.

Now, when I ride the Sporty for longer than a few miles, my back starts to ache. And the Harley suspension (or lack of) adds to the brutality. On top of all that, I do a 5-minute back exercise routine, including sit-ups, every morning before getting on the Blue Rocketship.

In short, no problemo with the transition.

Jb

+1 on what's been said. I sat on an FJR for the first time when I picked it up (in the rain). When I went to put my feet on the pegs the heel of my boot landed firmly on the shifter! When I got my boot on the pegs and hands on the bar I was thinking what the heck have I done? The seating position is radically different from a Honda Magna or other cruisers.

After a two hundred mile ride home I was convinced. That same ride on the v65 would have had my lower back asking for a break, on the Feejer the upright position is wonderful for the back.

Your wrists and arms may need some acclimating. I was very fortunate in having one of the early '06's - there were no risers available for them then. If there had been risers I would have bought them, and that would have been a mistake. After 1500 miles without them I got used to the riding position (with a released throttle spring) and definitely would not change it now. Give the stock setup a chance before buying the risers, etc. There are others on here that will tell you the same thing.

Guess I'm the odd man out here. It took a looong time for my back to acclimate to the riding position. Thousands of miles and hours in the seat. Reading about the Master Yoda riding position helped me. The 1.5 inch higher Bill Mayer saddle helped lots. Happy to say that now all is good, and I can sit the saddle pretty decent. Not by IBA standards, but by CBA standards I'm a real stud! :rolleyes:

... I can sit the saddle pretty decent. Not by IBA standards, but by CBA standards I'm a real stud! :rolleyes:
You know what, DCarver? I too am a member in good standing with the Candy-Butt Association, and proud of it! The idea of riding for 24 hours straight and peeing in a converted Camel-Back and nibbling on raisins and nuts while singing the Star Spangled Banner to stay awake while dodging racoons and drunks at 3 AM--well, I'll be honest: It just doesn't appeal to me. :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Me, I like to take a break on a long ride (i.e., three hours) every GD hour. That's right! Every hour, ON the hour. You and me, buddy. You and me.

Jb

[SIZE=8pt]CBA Member No. 2[/SIZE]

P.S. Thanks for your recent PM. Your kind "Where's JB?" thread lured me back in.... I'm just not brining up knee pucks ever again [soon, anyway].

P.P.S. I though I might find a funny image to post. Warning: Don't look up "candy butt" on Google images, at least not while at work! You've been warned. [Google statistics for 11:20 AM SuperBowl Sunday: "Spike in image searches for 'candy butt'.--You guys are sick! :dribble: ]

Last edited by a moderator:
[hijack]

Are those the risers in your avatar?
An image I found on the internet, sure would like to know more about it. Specifically, how in the heck did he make that front tire? Might be time to open a new thread

[\hijack]

I still ride the old hardtail some. The only difficulty I have found is finding the dang kickstand! :dribble:

For me, I feel like I am riding along with the cruiser and I feel like I am on top of and in charge of the FJR. Don't know if that will make sense to anyone else. The cruiser seems to take a lot more rider input, and the FJR just seems to know what to do?! :rolleyes: I'm sure that this is not all due to the seating position, but it definetly feels easier to ride the FJR. IMHO. Happy riding!