Another Newbie Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
I have recently moved up from a Honda 750 Magna to an 05 FJR. Some friends have invited me along on a ride from the Chattanooga area to Key West next month, total miles around 2K over a 5-6 day period. I would really like to go but I have some apprehension as I have never ridden more than maybe a couple of hundred miles in a days time. My questions are;

What do you pack ? I have the two hard bags plus a top case.

Is this too much of a stretch for a rookie, or novice long distance rider, probably do around 500 miles per day ?

Any and all comments, suggestions are appreciated.

I have recently moved up from a Honda 750 Magna to an 05 FJR. Some friends have invited me along on a ride from the Chattanooga area to Key West next month, total miles around 2K over a 5-6 day period. I would really like to go but I have some apprehension as I have never ridden more than maybe a couple of hundred miles in a days time. My questions are;

Is this too much of a stretch for a rookie, or novice long distance rider, probably do around 500 miles per day ?

IMHO, the most important things to make sure of before your trip is that the bike is sound and safe in all aspects and that you have practiced slow manueveurs including braking, doing U turns etc.

long distance riding is the forte of the FJR and 500 miles in a day is pretty tame after you are used to riding that distance. For a rule of thumb I use, running the posted speed limits on freeways and taking 200-250 mile gas stops you can expect to average about 55-60 miles per hour. To me the most important thing after safety and bike condition for a LDR is the desire to start and finish it. Another consideration is if you feel uncomfortable with the other riders in the group and you are riding beyond your current skills on the FJR, just slow it down to where you feel safe. Stop and rest if you get tired or sleepy.

As far as packing, take sufficient clothing for the period of time you are away, take a cell phone if you have one, take at a minimum the OEM tool kit and some plugs for flat tires and riding gear that will protect you in case of going down. Make sure you drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.

You can check the Iron Butt Association on the web and get some recommendations from very experienced LDRs on many topics that will make the trip safer and more enjoyable. Good luck and keep asking questions about the FJR, you can learn a lot here.

Hope this is useful.

+1 to TurboDave's suggestions

I've found that as long as I'm pretty comfortable, 600-700 miles days are no problem. I was unhappy with the stock seat for LD rides, but it took an LD ride for me to 'see the light' & plan on it's replacement. You may not need to only time will tell. With both side bags & top bag loaded, & camping gear (just in case) on passenger seat, my beemer buddy & I did 6900+ East coast to West coast & back last year. Great fun ! Perfect bike for LD rides IMHO.

I think jumping right into a string of 500 mile days with a group of LD experienced riders is a poor idea.

There is nothing magic about the FJR or any other bike that will allow that *without the possibility of tragic failure.* Now, you *might* be able to do it, but what happens if it tuns out you can't? Are you prepared to drop away from the group and design and carry out an alternative ride of your own? If you can safely do that, then with caution and forethought you could attempt the ride and see how it goes. (Also, is the group prepared for one to drop away without recriminations?)

Sounds to me like you have a month to try and get in a few distance rides to see how your body holds up before the 2K.

Like turbodave said, use the tips from the IBA website, they are very helpful.

The FJR seats are great fo me until I hit about 4 hours - then I start sitting on different parts of the seat to get relief. I found an upholstery shop here in town that does old cars and lots of bikes and had him do the front seat. I took it on a 3 hour ride and it was getting uncomfortable. I took the seat back and asked if he could make it softer without changing the look of the seat. 3 days later I picked it up and it is like sitting on a sofa. The seat still looks stock but is it nice. He only charged me $30.00.

I recommend that you find someone like him in your area and your long ride will be much more enjoyable.

500 miles is my preferred distance for "pleasure" rides. If I feel like stopping for a nice leisurely lunch, take some photos, read a historical marker, etc I can do PLENTY of that and still be at my destination in time for a steak and a beer around dinner time. Even my 10 year old son likes days around 400 miles, so I think that 500 is pretty realistic for you.

Be safe.

Ride your own ride.

it depends on how comfortable you are with the bike and the pace. I mean comfortable and relaxed with the bike. If you are nervous because you aren't used to the bike and have a deathgrip on the bars you are going to fatigue more quickly. Do some day trips (as somone noted above). to get used to the bike, you will have better endurance and enjoy the ride.

My opinions are probably not worth a shit since I'm the CEO of the CBA (Candy Butt Association) riders club. My first thoughts are that A 500 mile day is within grasp. A 2nd 500 day becomes weary. A 3rd 500 day becomes tragic.

Unless of course you 'train' for the event. At the start of my FJ ownership, 1.5 hours freakin KILLED my lower back. I've broken many bones in this body, and they were ALL screaming. Now, after many, many miles... I can sit the seat pretty good. Not by TurboDave standards, (the guy is amazing) but I know I can do +800 day for 3 or 4 days straight and be just fine. But that's only after 'training' my body to sit the FJR riding position.

Frankly, your age, physical condition, and desire to complete the ride will ultimately determine you results. And, if you are like TurboDave, the desire will carry you through. For me, I'm a wimp, :rolleyes: . As TD said, "To me the most important thing after safety and bike condition for a LDR is the desire to start and finish it." Well said Dave.

As turboDave said - go to the IBA website naked girls dancing on LD Bikes and read the words of wisdom.

Can you do it - sure you can. Is it a smart thing? That depends on you. Are your friends up to it? Have they done it before? Do they ride the same speed and skill level as you? Can you keep up with them without pressuring yourself into riding over your head?

Do you HAVE to be there? Can you or WILL you drop off the pace and return to your start or stay in a hotel an extra day if need be?

Do you have the gear to do it? Good riding gear - rain gear - heated clothing?

If you are smart enough to know when to quit - and confident enough to tell your friends that you need to rest - then go for it.

As for packing:

I always take too much. If you are hanging with a bunch of guys and aren't planning on having to get dressed up or stay all that clean -

I would pack enough underwear to make it there. Wear some pants and perhaps pack another pair - a pair of shorts and sufficient T-shirts and such to stay warm on the bike (hopefully you have heated gear which will make that easier). You can buy a couple of t-shirts at your destination if you need something. Perhaps take 1 shirt along that you could wear into a restaurant if need be. Swim suit for the hot tub - and several pair of socks. Stash the tooth brush and you are ready to go. Take your credit card for emergencies.

I often pack an extra pair of gloves if I have the room. If you purchase a underarmour type shirt - they are easy to rinse in the sink and dry quickly. Same for the underwear. If you wore the same shirt everyday under your riding gear - and changed into something else when you got to your evening's destination.... who would know?

Take a freakin' shower and you are good to go.

have fun - but don't over do it. You might want to pack some ibuprofin in case your back, arms, wrists or neck gets sore, and take it before you need it. Some MonkeyButt powder or Gold Bond Powder wouldn't hurt.

In addition to the great ideas already posted, here's my suggestions, including some already mentioned:

1. Stay hydrated. For me, I find it's not enough to drink water only at gas stops. Consider using a hydration backpack (like a CamelBak) and try to drink a good bit of water every 15-30 minutes.
  2. Take a tire plug kit and a 12v compressor, and have a place to plug it in to your bike. With these, if you (or someone in your group) runs over a nail 80 miles from civilization, you have 20 minutes of inconvenience instead of hours of frustration.
  3. Take a first aid kit, stocked with the usual items and a lot of Ibuprofen. You're likely to be sore in the morning after a 500 mile day until your body gets used to it.
  4. No alcohol until the end of the day's ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd agree to all that everyone has mentioned.

If you haven't done many LD rides try getting an Alaska leathers seat cover and a couple pairs of underwear that wick away moisture,they're about $15 to$20. Do not wear cotton underwear they will burn your ass off and if your butt gets uncomfortable your ride will end in misery.Don't speed down through the Keys cause the cops are out for revenue down there.

I did an iron butt down to Key West on Halloween and the ride down to key west from miami was very sloooowwww.

Good luck

Listen to what your body is telling you.

Your curious about the ride, go for it.

On the ride, stop if you feel the urge to nap or the yawns get intense. This can be difficult in a group ride, but if you have an agreed evening destination, it takes the pressure off. A 20 minute nap does wonders for me.

If your peeing dark yellow, drink more water.

If something is distracting, deal with it at the next gas stop or write it down so you can fix it back home before the next ride.

Go for it! You'll be having so much fun the 500 miles will be done before you know it. On my 1000 mile Iron Butt ride (1st long ride) we did 1018 miles in 18 hours. The worse fatigue wasn't physical, but mental. When we got off the superslabs and got into the curvies in eastern TN, I had to slow WAY down, rather than try to keep up with my more experienced riding buddy. They won't leave you behind for long.

When your parts start to burn, change positions. Riding solo, I was able to put my feet on the rear pegs, sit on the back seat, rest calves over the front pegs. stand up occasionally....you get the idea. I also wore bicycle riding pants under jeans and mc mesh pants. I think they helped some.

If solo, there should be room on the back seat to bungee on a waterproof bag to carry a lot more stuff.

Good luck on your trip, you'll remember it forever. :D

You guys are hard core. :blink: Am I the only one that thinks 500 miles on a bike is a long haul? From my place in Ohio to my fathers house in Va is 500 miles. I stop for a gas, lunch and tinkle breaks. I can do the trip in nine hours. At the end of the trip, Im spent!

LD rides are not for everyone as it does take a certain amount of 'mind over matter' to keep things under control (along with Ibuprofin). In a way it's a Zen experience for me, one that's virtually impossible to repeat doing any other activity. I don't do them often, but usually at least one good LD ride a year.. Even with the aches, PITAs, problems & crazy cagers, the experiences gathered during an LD ride seem to live with me for a long long time afterwards. Good photos are a plus. Have not regretted a single one. Planning another big one for this summer...

When I had the cruiser 500 miles was a big deal. With the FJR 500 miles is halfway between lunch & dinner...

Frayne,

You can do it! I recently returned to riding after being away for (gosh!) 14 years and was able to do 700 miles one day on a V-Max at 75 mph (not to mention the hours wasted at gas stations just getting to the fuel cap underneath a fully loaded seat). I live in Gainesville FL & used the straight shot north on I-75 for the long day without a hitch. I've also headed south to the keys (which I'm planning on doing again this spring) on I-75 but prefer to cut east on the FL Trnpk and then south through the center of the state around Lake Okeechobee (prettier & the road less traveled south of the turnpike: approx 400 miles frm G'ville to Key Largo). Be patient once you get near US 1: posted limits range from 40 to 55 on open stretches of road & there is ALWAYS traffic. And don't get me started about the stupid Key Deer (endangered my ass: a friend in Ft. Myers has a neighbor who raises the damn things in his backyard).

As for your worries, just be blunt with your riding partners: you're going to go at your own pace. Good planning beforehand will eliminate the fear of getting separated and anxiety to keep up. Set up rendezvous points and make reservations at a terminal point for each day & keep your cell phones on. If it's not happening in terms of your reservations for the night because of traffic or weather, no biggie: most places will refund whatever you have put down to secure the room/campsite & you can find accommodations along the way.

As for packing, that's up to your prefs. I always pack a set of thinsulate long johns (unless I'm heading to the keys in summer) in addition to rain gear. Also depends on your riding gear. For my trip (I had a partner & therefore only half a saddlebag & half the t-bag trunk: see avatar taken at Key Largo Kampground) I took 1 pr jeans, 1 pr combo pants with legs that zip off & transform into swimsuit, t-shirts, 1 pr shorts, undies, socks, tennis shoes, sunglasses, sunblock (tent, sleeping bags, stove, lantern, etc.) as well as my riding gear: leather jacket, boots, gloves, Icon mesh riding pants, etc. Also, take eye drops & gum & water and use them when you stop for fuel: instant fatigue relief! But no matter what gear litany you follow, it's the Keys: who cares what you've packed. Rule of thumb for all trips: comfortable, safe, dry, & alert on the bike, whatever works & won't get you arrested when on the hoof. Check out https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsur...rcycle_fatigue/ to read about fatigue on long trips. I think Rider magazine also did a survey of the tips & tricks their testers use on long trips. Oh yeah: take a camera. And a towel. Hit Hemingway's house. Sloppy Joe's is overrated & overcrowded (I bought a t-shirt anyway :D )

If you go, let us know about it. Everyone should bike through the keys at least once.

Best,

-Andrew

I would say that 500 mile days should be easy peasy for you. You are not a beginner cyclist. Prepare for the worst weather that can happen. Good tires, rain gear, extra gloves and socks, waterproof boots. You should be able to pack your basic clothes in one side case. That leaves plenty of room for other necessities and plenty of extras to keep you comfortable.

I like to use a tank bag to hold water bottles, camera, maps, binoculars, spare gloves, flashlight, pretty much anything that I might want to get to without having to get off the bike.