Another Newbie Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and input. Some more background info, three of us will be making the trip and probably most of it will be down I-75 from the Chattanooga area. We are all in our early to mid fifties and I don't think we will push too hard, maybe to Tampa for the first overnight stop and then on to the keys. After getting my FJR on Saturday and riding it around the last few days my only real concern is getting used to the riding position. Between now and then I'll have to work on getting more use to it. Great forum and many knowledgable riders here, again thanks and I'm already enjoying the speed, power, cornering ability and handling characteristics of the bike.

Interesting thread. Good question and replies. Thanks.

I have spent the last few years terrorizing SE USA on my VTX1800. It is as comfortable as they get on all-day rides. Love that about it. Bought the FJR in January and took it down to the FL Keys two weeks ago and my neck would get sore as all get out. On the FJR I feel like I am hunched over the gas tank and have to rotate my head up to see straight ahead and it seems to hurt my neck after a while. Absolutely does not bother me on half-day (or less) rides - don't even think about neck pain. However, on those full-day rides my neck is screaming in pain.

QUESTION:

Did y'all find neck pain normal when the bike was new? You think that is something I will grow accustomed to? This is my first sport bike (I've always had cruisers or motocross).

Thanks!

John

Last edited by a moderator:
John, think American saddle, english saddle, riding the VTX is american saddle, you sit back in the saddle, feet forward, all your weight on you butt. FJR is english saddle, slight forward lean, natural forward curve to your spine ( let your belly hang out a little), that will take the weight off your hands and wrist and naturally pull your head up,your feet are under you so grip the side of the seat with your thighs. Takes a little pratice for it to become natural, but I came to the FJR from a curiser style bike too and it works for me. All day comfort.

For a more detailed explanation search for the "Master Yoda riding position".

BTW how did you get the bike to levetate for the pics :blink:

I KNOW I can do 1,500 miles in under 24 hours, but I'm spent. I can do 1,000 miles in under 24 hours and I've still got more bullets.

John, think American saddle, english saddle, riding the VTX is american saddle, you sit back in the saddle, feet forward, all your weight on you butt. FJR is english saddle, slight forward lean, natural forward curve to your spine ( let your belly hang out a little), that will take the weight off your hands and wrist and naturally pull your head up,your feet are under you so grip the side of the seat with your thighs. Takes a little pratice for it to become natural, but I came to the FJR from a curiser style bike too and it works for me. All day comfort.
For a more detailed explanation search for the "Master Yoda riding position".

BTW how did you get the bike to levetate for the pics :blink:
Thanks for the tips. I hope as I get used to the position my neck will become more used to it.

Levitating the bikes? Simply hoist them up in a white room and it's a snap!

[SIZE=8pt]Or you can crop them out in Photoshop, paste them into a blank background, add a drop shadow, and get the same result [/SIZE]

B)