Another Room Available. For Another Reason

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
How it pains me to write this. In fact, I was in pretty good pain when I sat down here in the first place. I dumped the FJR just outside Helena, MT, on the way down from Glacier NP and an excellent two weeks of camping, enjoying beautiful scenery and finding SUPER m/c roads. This one couldn't have been worse. I'd ridden a couple hundred miles from Kalispell over very pretty and very isolated roads. Coming into Helena I passed a place to get a cold drink and decided to go back and grab one before riding into the town. Took a right up a hill in a new housing development and swung onto the cross street, parallel to the highway, intending to just loop back to the diner. Since the road was on a hillside overlooking the highway and the development was mostly empty, just foundations, I could look back downhill when I turned onto the parallel road to kind of plan my re-entry onto the highway, making sure it led out and all that.

So that was what I was doing instead of looking at the road in front of me. I'd actually already passed the first side street but I skipped it because a car was backing into the street from a driveway. Normal, straight road. The second street, where I turned, well, let's say I shouldn't have assumed that because one street was straight they'd all be straight. When I realized the road had a big curve halfway down the block I was on top of the curb, couldn't stop, couldn't turn quick enough, just plain couldn't miss it. So I high-sided on the curb, bike and I went sideways and over into some nice decorative rocks! Sharp decorative rocks. Big ones.

So here I am in a Day's Inn in Helena, waiting for the insurance adjustor to come on Thursday. Cancelled my room at NAFO, for anybody who's still looking, and better luck to you. Damage: windshield smashed, control panel and gauges all creamed, pegs and highway pegs torn off (at least one of each), mirror gone, top box mount split in two, leak coming from somewhere in the radiator area, lots and lots of cosmetic damage, and who knows what else? Me, stiff and sore as a hundred year old after a winner-take-all "tough man" contest, and feeling extremely stupid over such a completely avoidable accident. And pretty pissed off about missing NAFO, too.

No

Mike, glad you are ok - your timing absolutely sucks, but what's important is that you are waiting in a Day's Inn instead of the ICU.

And like SkooterG says, "hang in there."

That's awful news Mike. :(

Super happy that you're walking and talking (typing coherently too!) Bummer that I won't see you at NAFO but you got bigger fish to fry right now.

Hang in there my friend.

SacramentoMike said:
How it pains me to write this. ... I dumped the FJR just outside Helena, ...
Mike, I'm blown away. I'm so sorry to hear this. Dammit! Dammit!

How are you? Just sore or anything broken or tweaked badly? Have you seen a doc?

Was really looking forward to your company in Colorado.

Shout if there's anything I can do. PM sent.

(It sounds like you've hung onto your sense of humor.)

BIG BUMMER! Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to hearing about your travels since I ran into you at Crater Lake. Hope you heal up quickly and things work out (in a good way) with the insurance adjuster. You'll be missed at NAFO.

Dude...... at least your here to ride another day!!! way too many wrecks goin on... :eek:

good luck with the insurance.... you will make the next one.........

Mike,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune!

At least you got to ride to Montana, while the rest of us working stiffs keep the world turning.

Hope you and your bike have a safe return to Sacrotown and a speedy recovery!

Mike,

As Old Mike said that is horrible. If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.

Your timing is incredibly bad. You're supposed to do these things AFTER NFO.

Glad none of your "parts" were seriously broken. I'm sorry to see your "feelin" your age. (That's a joke, son).

Someday in a place far, far away, these things will make sense....or not.

Heal quickly.

Good luck.

LC

Mike if you can get here I can always run you home on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See guys the car may come in handy yet.

R