Any Autobahn left in the US of A?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
Admins this does smack relate to FJR, so bear with me before moving this post.

First off the FJR is damned fast (Duh)! It hates slow speeds and begs to me to go faster (just like my young daughter does). Now where do I ride the FJR without getting my license suspended?

Which states have the highest speed limit and cops friendly to riders?

(Soon enough, you will see me there!)

Well, really I want an Autobahn USA!!! with no speed limits? Mythical place?

Should have gone to WFO....in certain parts of Nevada (excluding the Bonneville Salt Flats)...you can ride flat out without seeing anyone for a long time.....don't ask me how I know.... ;) .....

....in certain parts of Nevada (excluding the Bonneville Salt Flats)...you can ride flat out without seeing anyone for a long time.....don't ask me how I know.... ;) .....
You might wish to query the intrepid trio from the SS1K regarding high speed runs in other parts of Nevada/ However, the written performance evaluations leave no room for discussion about the er, uhm, speeds at which an FJR can be ridden for miles and miles and miles...... :rolleyes:

Hwy 168 between Big Pine, CA and Oasis Ranch off Hwy 266 in NV. Nestled between wonderful twisties with crests is a valley (Deep Springs Ranch is there) You can open it up as long as you want until the next set of twisties of coarse. :eek: I happened upon it early Aug. For the middle of summer the temps only hit 82 on this stretch. If westguard pass rings a bell you are close. This is a place you will dream about after you've experienced it. It's like the FJR was made for it. Roads like this are why I'm already done with the stock tires at 3000 miles. :unsure:

P.S. Being relatively new to this forum I'm unsure of the ettiquite that is required when mentioning certain highways. Wouldn't want secret FJR sections to be revealed. If status quo is "Don't tell" I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being relatively new to this forum I'm unsure of the ettiquite that is required when mentioning certain highways. Wouldn't want secret FJR sections to be revealed. If status quo is "Don't tell" I apologize.
Well, tha cat's out of the bag on that particular stretch of road.

I can highly recommend Nevada Highways 375, 6, and 376. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Speed limits by states is highly Googleable with this decent answer where "cop friendly" is VERY subjective.

Your options increase dramatically west of the mississippi river. the east coast is too overpopulated for any decent land speed attempts. of the east coast, the ne is the worst for congestion, slow posted speeds, and high enforcement.

US21 in western Utah is one of the most desolate roads on the planet. 88 miles of nothing. Three valleys with perfectly straight roads running across. You can see all the way across, 20 miles or so. Your visual radar detector will work well here. There is one ranch in the eastern valley, a few twistys in the ridges between the valleys. You can be pretty heavy handed in the valley. Machmann and I saw one other vehicle in the entire 108 mile stretch on the way to WFO, another FJR 2-up heading the other way. 100 is probably a good minimum through there.

But not for me...my luck is all used up! :D

Seems I saw sum pictures of a few fellas shooting at Barbie Dolls off the saddle of an fjr.......looked like a good place for a land speed attempt?!
Actually, it's not the best place. You can absolutely hold the throttle WFO for extended periods and I can attest to 2+ minutes myself. It's a surreal experience....and probably dangerous unless you pre-scout the entire surface for near-surface wet spots or maybe where some lunatic group had a bonfire the night before.

The playa dirt is not the best traction and there's a significant amount of wheel slip at FJR nominal speeds. Even if you hit the rev limiter it's still less speed than one can achieve....say....on the paved roads nearby Barbie. 447 NW from Gerlach or 447 south between Empire and Nixon seem conveniently straight for LONG periods.

...and if that's not enough to convince you....well you never know if some whack-job with an extended clip Glock might be out there and accidentally pull a Dick Cheney on 'ya. You're probably better off trying high speed runs on Chappaquidick Island.

...and if that's not enough to convince you....well you never know if some whack-job with an extended clip Glock might be out there and accidentally pull a Dick Cheney on 'ya. You're probably better off trying high speed runs on Chappaquidick Island.
And this is coming from the King of banning political threads ???? Least ya bashed both sides ! :assassin: :p

And this is coming from the King of banning political threads ???? Least ya bashed both sides ! :assassin: :p
Speaking politically correct-wise, he's equal opportunity! :lol:

Actually, it's not the best place. You can absolutely hold the throttle WFO for extended periods and I can attest to 2+ minutes myself. It's a surreal experience....and probably dangerous unless you pre-scout the entire surface for near-surface wet spots or maybe where some lunatic group had a bonfire the night before.
The playa dirt is not the best traction and there's a significant amount of wheel slip at FJR nominal speeds. Even if you hit the rev limiter it's still less speed than one can achieve...
bigfire2.jpg

salute2.jpg
:****:

speed3.jpg

new jersey ........... garden state pkwy theres alot of spots where you can open her up . 280 north . and the very busy n.j. turnpike .

Admins this does smack relate to FJR, so bear with me before moving this post.
First off the FJR is damned fast (Duh)! It hates slow speeds and begs to me to go faster (just like my young daughter does). Now where do I ride the FJR without getting my license suspended?

Which states have the highest speed limit and cops friendly to riders?

(Soon enough, you will see me there!)

Well, really I want an Autobahn USA!!! with no speed limits? Mythical place?
Montana