Any Autobahn left in the US of A?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode hwy 140 west from north of Winnemuca to Lakeview Or. yesterday and the eastern portion is as fast as you can stand it.

I rode several roads in Kansas and Oklahoma that are suitable for WOT experiences although by no means legal ones. Some sections of interstate in OK are 80 limit so 90-95 was pretty ordinary.

But I agree that on any public road, running at speeds beginning with 1 is pretty risky. Animals, dead or alive, shucked mufflers, broken pavement - all become potentially fatal obstacles at that speed. In fact, one of the big problems I encountered was birds. Out in the semi desert, they congregate around any water course that has any brush and a trickle of water and you really had to be alert for them when crossing the occasional ditch. They don't seem to see the feej coming.

I thought that Montana had no speed limit on the highways during the day, but at night it droped to like 70 or 80.

I thought that Montana had no speed limit on the highways during the day, but at night it droped to like 70 or 80.
I believe they say "Excepting non-daylight hours. Weather and visibility permitting."

Some goober, back in the 90's, took MT's "reasonable and prudent" to mean he could blast through smaller towns at something above the ton. When nailed for it, he took it up the appeals chain. The state was forced to post actual speed limits. Once again the TSTL[1] have ruined it for the rest of us.

[1] Too Stupid To Live

Last edited by a moderator: