Any Briggs n' Stratton

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I have a 4 hp Briggs engine that runs great - but the governor ain't governing...

... no matter the manual throttle setting, it runs full bore.

Looking at the linkage, all looks good.. the lever arm originating from the crankcase moves well, easily, all connecting rods and springs are in place - as compared to a 5 hp Briggs engine I have on (another) rototiller that works as advertised.

I noticed the crankcase ventilation tube rubber connectors on either end or busted up on the the engine that has no governor.

Is that the problem?

Just how does the governor system work on a typical small Briggs 4-stroke work?

Haven't had a small Briggs for a while... gave my service manual away a month ago...... maybe you can find one online?

The air flow from the flywheel blows over the cylinder fins. Along the way it pushes a flap which pulls the throttle closed as the engine spins faster and the air flow increases. It is a balance from the air flow to the spring which holds the throttle open. If that spring is to strong or the air flow is interrupted or the flap is damaged it may not over come the governor spring. While running if you can hold the throttle cam and close it down and the engine slows down, the spring balance vs the air flap is probably the issue.

Some are air flow operated and others are operated by fly weights inside.

Don, DID YOU TOUCH IT ??? :p

If you google it you can usually find the govenor set up.

Some are air flow operated and others are operated by fly weights inside.

Don, DID YOU TOUCH IT ??? :p

If you google it you can usually find the govenor set up.
I'm thinking mine is a flyweight type. The main lever arm is located at engine bottom, carb side, and pivots on a shaft that penetrates the engine case.

Off to find a manual..

It's this type - #616.. What makes 616 move? Crankcase pressure?

4hpGov.png

I wish I had seen this earlier. I installed a new ignition coil on a 6hp Briggs this morning. Dad's log splitter is considered critical equipment. ;)

If this is the setup with the gas tank over the carb, I think I have one on a failed tiller project. If you need any parts let me know and I'll look and see what I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had seen this earlier. I installed a new ignition coil on a 6hp Briggs this morning. Dad's log splitter is considered critical equipment. ;)
Log splitter for what?? In case Louisiana gets down to 85 and you need to build a fire??
I'll have you know it was all the way down to 42 degrees this morning!

'Sides that, we uns aint got no 'lectricitee down heer. We uns gots to cook our possums on a wood burnin' stove. :lol:

Log splitter for what?? In case Louisiana gets down to 85 and you need to build a fire??
No doubt to fuel the smoker. It is turduckin smoking day down there ;)
Truthfully, no. I fried 10 turkeys in hog lard this morning. But that was a good guess though.