Any Damage Being Done??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutha1300

Reaction score
Due to recent gas price hikes I elect to ride my FJR to work daily. I cover my bike after it has cooled down with a motorcycle cover I purchased from Target. ($29)

When I get on my bike at the end of the work day the temp reads 122+. The bike starts and runs fine, however, the Yama decals have loosened or come off, (the glue quits sticking).

Is this the only damage being done, or is there long term problems I might encounter due to the extreme temps the bike endures while sitting covered in the sun?

Should I leave the bike uncovered instead?

There is no shade at the job site.

Thanks for any help or bashing I might receive.... <_<

Due to recent gas price hikes I elect to ride my FJR to work daily. I cover my bike after it has cooled down with a motorcycle cover I purchased from Target. ($29)When I get on my bike at the end of the work day the temp reads 122+. The bike starts and runs fine, however, the Yama decals have loosened or come off, (the glue quits sticking).

Is this the only damage being done, or is there long term problems I might encounter due to the extreme temps the bike endures while sitting covered in the sun?

Thanks for any help or bashing I might receive.... <_<
better? :lol:

I'd leave the cover off unless it is going to rain.

If it gets hot enough under the cover to melt the glue in the decals, it can't be good.

They do make a "tent like" cover for bikes that might be better, but I do not cover the bike if it is going to sit out in a hot sun all day.

What kind of employer doesn't have covered/air conditioned/heated parking for their FJR driving employees??!! I'd make an immediate request for such, and threaten to quit if it isn't there by the next morning!

Actually, if it's melting the glue off the stickers I can't imagine it's doing any thing less to some of the greased parts that need to stay greased...

I would either let it cool for a couple hours and then tent it/cover it, or just suffer the dust and bird crap which wash off... maybe just find a large "towel" sized material to lay over the seat/tank/instruments.

C

Due to recent gas price hikes I elect to ride my FJR to work daily. I cover my bike after it has cooled down with a motorcycle cover I purchased from Target. ($29)When I get on my bike at the end of the work day the temp reads 122+. The bike starts and runs fine, however, the Yama decals have loosened or come off, (the glue quits sticking).

Thanks for any help or bashing I might receive....

<_<
What color is the cover? If it is black, I can certainly understand why your bike is cooking underneath. No good can come of this.

I use a Nelson-Rigg UV2000 half cover, which seems to keep the bike nice and cool while reflecting radiation onto the Harley parked beside me. Hee hee!

Protecting the machine from U-V damage is important in the long run, but obviously you are trapping a lot of heat (and probably a lot of humidity) under that cover - and possibly solvent fumes are boiling out of the gas that have no place to go.

If the bike is a daily driver, just make sure it is well waxed (including the polycarbonate headlight) and try to park it in the shade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your cover have a vent. I use a Nelson Rigg full cover (blue and grey in color) Doesn't seem to bake to hot under there during the daytime temps up here in Ohio.

Left bike uncovered today, much cooler at start-up.. Covered my Day-Long Russell, however..

Perhaps I'll try the Nelson-Rigg..

Thx

I think you kind of knew the answer.

If you are concerned enough to want to cover it, use a quality cover. There is no value in cooking your bike while you are trying to save it.

paul from Minnesota

I have the Nelson Rigg UV 2000 1/2 cover. Get it and don't leave it uncovered. The sun is cumulative, every minute in the sun adds up.

Keep that in mind for your face too guys. Sun block daily, it's not gay...LOL!

When I'm 70 I won't look like a prune!

I have the Nelson Rigg UV 2000 1/2 cover. Get it and don't leave it uncovered. The sun is cumulative, every minute in the sun adds up.
Keep that in mind for your face too guys. Sun block daily, it's not gay...LOL!

When I'm 70 I won't look like a prune!
What size nelson rigg 1/2 cover?

Why dont you try this, Cut some vent holes around the gas tank and where ever you think it will help to let the ait cicculate through instead of building up excessive heat under that cover. than take some window screen and glus over the holes to help with the protection. I would try this first than find a source where I work and park in the shade.

Hey Mutha1300,

Dood, help this old man out... Your font size.. I hate having to wear granny glasses to read your posts... Please make it just a bit larger for us older farts? :rolleyes:

i put the seat cover on my Russell and might put a towel over the dash (but usually not). i preferred the covered parking at my last location but the uncovered parking here is bearable due to the improved work environment.