Any Hams on Here?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider

Reaction score
Amateur radio operators, that is...

I'm wondering if any of you use APRS to track your FJR rides, or other?

There is an APRS transceiver module, an AP510, for around $120. It's only 1W, but well featured otherwise.

Real-time tracking on www.aprs.fi

Shouldn't the title of this topic be "CQ CQ CQ"?

Last edited by a moderator:
N6DWN, old school Extra class (had to pass three Morse code tests). Three dits, Four dits, two dits, da.

Old school here also. 20 wpm. Extra class K7LC, one of the last "vanity calls". Unfortunately, I'm almost deaf now so the "ham" gear is packed away...

I use spotwalla on my iphone right now, but looking into a spot. Would be curious about this though. Post up if you decide to mount it on your bike.

On my last bike I had it set up for two meters...
Any pictures of the set up? Radio/antenna used?

I use spotwalla on my iphone right now, but looking into a spot. Would be curious about this though. Post up if you decide to mount it on your bike.

On my last bike I had it set up for two meters...
Any pictures of the set up? Radio/antenna used?
No pix of the 2mtr setup...very simple: VX-5R clipped to my tank bag with audio/vox run through an Autocom. Worked great. Also used it for FRS/GPRS bike to bike.

dit dit

CQ would have been a better title. I was thinking of a different audience when titling.

I thought APRS might be a good way to track rides, especially the larger group rides, but thinking about it, few people would actually take advantage due to the licensing requirement. I'm going to use it to track my own personal rides when I'm alone. Sure, the cell can do the same thing with a FirePin type app, but I suppose there are already apps designed for these motorcycle events.

I probably would not run much ham gear on a bike either since it is a big distraction. The tracker was a set and forget thing, but it does have Bluetooth and can show all APRS traffic, even display a google map right on your phone (the APRS data might run the texting and driving line though).

It was just a thought that popped to mind when I watched one of the member's video about FJR leaving its mark in Florida - the video was a map showing a rider's time-lapse track through the state.

N3VRH - I haven't keyed up my old Radio Shack 2 meter radio in quite a while. I do keep the license current though. No "dits" here.... just some "Duh"s...
grin.gif

I've never operated APRS, however, I have tried to let my phone be my poor man's spot to let the wife know where I was.

Trouble is, I don't think she looked much and were I was riding I lost data service quite a bit.

Looking at the rubber duck the AP510 comes with, I'm sure some other external antenna would help if terrain was not very flat.

Real operators run 11 meters with kw power through 12 element yagis atop 100' crank up towers?
You forgot adding a linear amp there good buddy....

WW4ML/qrp………… and obscure part of a dying hobby……. But fun!! Building small rigs is neat… It always cracks me up that my radio's have less power than my nite lite!!!

mitch…….. dit dit

No APRS but I do run 2m especially with Dual Sporting - Icom FT60, 1/4 wave ducky, Sena SMH10 paired to an SR10 and push to talk.

KF6NZF

Ed