Any ideas for Kickstand Enlarger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To revive an old thread, finished spring maintenance on the Feej, so I decided to make a sidestand pad to increase the footprint on chancy asphalt. I had considered one of the excellent units offered by WynPro, but wanted to keep the stock lean angle and liked the idea of welding it. Picked up a used stand from ebay. It came with a switch which I didn't need so, anyone that wants it, it's theirs for the cost of postage.

IMG_0001.JPG

Had some 12 ga. mild steel in the scrap bucket, next step was to cut and inlet the shape I wanted.

IMG_0002-0.JPG

Checked the fit, looks close enough to weld.

IMG_0003.JPG

Temporarily installed on the bike, fitted the pad where it needed to be and tacked in three spots. Note the ground on the stand as close as possible to the work to avoid weld current passing through bearings or electronics.

IMG_0007-0.JPG

Removed stand and finished welding on the top

IMG_0009.JPG

and three spots on the bottom

IMG_0012.JPG

Smoothed the bottom with an air sander and dabbed on some paint, ready to reinstall. Gained some surface area over the stock stand

IMG_0015.JPG

And it clears the exhaust (the reason the inletted hole was offset from the middle of the pad).

IMG_0016.JPG

Bike rests at the same angle it always has. Not the prettiest accessory - I'm a lousy painter - but it should get the job done.

I'm planning to make my own, as I did for our Beemers, but an a little concerned that the side stand does not go far enough forward and adding to the bottom of the side stand may make the bike sit too upright. Should this be a concern?

Murray

I'm planning to make my own, as I did for our Beemers, but an a little concerned that the side stand does not go far enough forward and adding to the bottom of the side stand may make the bike sit too upright. Should this be a concern?
Murray
I'd imagine that would depend on the thickness of the metal used for the pad. I decided not to chance it - that's the reason for forming the pad around the stand and tacking it with the bike leaning on the stand. Bike leans exactly as it did before adding the pad.

Murray
IMHO the stock stand leans too far over, kudos to all you welders, bolters and what have you but for 25.00 bucks I ordered Dave's bigfoot and saved my couple of hours for important chit like flushing my brakes and clutch this weekend.

Some of us just love to tinker. Maybe it's because I ran the family farm on my own for a few years and was always having to fix things.

Murray

Murray
IMHO the stock stand leans too far over, kudos to all you welders, bolters and what have you but for 25.00 bucks I ordered Dave's bigfoot and saved my couple of hours for important chit like flushing my brakes and clutch this weekend.
That's funny...when the FJR first came out, some people were thinking it wasn't leaning enough. Some even shortened their stands.
biggrin.png

Some of us just love to tinker. Maybe it's because I ran the family farm on my own for a few years and was always having to fix things.
Murray
I would always rather be handy, than pay someone to be handy...but unfortunately I am not handy. Fortunately I have Forum friends who are!
biggrin.png