any unused wires available?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etz

Reaction score
Are there convenient, unused, power sources to be found in an FJR?

The reason I ask is because my Bandit has 2 live wires that just sit there, completely unused, waiting for a farkle to be attached. One is in the front cowling, meant for the "city light" that american bikes don't have, and the other under the tank for the carb heaters that Euro bikes get. Either you can snip off the connector and make your own connector, or you could use a replacement connector on the farkle. Something like these:

connectors.JPG

Thanx

I can't answer your specific question but many use the auto-retract wire to power a relay for their fuse blocks.

It is just a loop so they just cut it in half and use the hot side to power whatever.

no, that's good info. Do you think you can you point me to where that wire is accessible? And which is it on the wiring diagram?

Are there convenient, unused, power sources to be found in an FJR?
I don't think there are any specific unused power taps anywhere. And tapping off another one isn't so sure on how much amperage capacity there is if you found one.

A popular farkle for this bike at a cheap price is adding a Relayed 12v Power Strip that costs in the $15 range in parts....plus it gives you room for over a dozen additions.

In fact, I modified those directions slightly, cut the barrier strip nearly in half, and then half about 9 spots for postive and 5 spots for a ground in the nose. Nice first project for the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
My retract wire was easy to get, but that's all relative.

I also used an open receptical in the power block under the D panel in the bike. Aft of the battery there is a juntion block with several wires coming out of it. There is one slot open that is powered, and I took advantage of that location, too.

FJRCOIL.JPG

The red arrow is pointing to the coil for the Audiovox cc tach wire. The female power block is to the left of the arrow, between the screw plate and the 15 amp fuse.

Would recommend that ETZ check out FJRTECH.COM .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great replies.

Since I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible in antication of getting my FJR,I've seen some of these pages already, including FJRTech.com. But seeing all that stuff in random order is a bit overwhelming, and the significance of what I see is sometimes lost. But now that I had a specific question, seeing the pages in context makes things come together much clearer.

My retract wire was easy to get, but that's all relative.
I also used an open receptical in the power block under the D panel in the bike. Aft of the battery there is a juntion block with several wires coming out of it. There is one slot open that is powered, and I took advantage of that location, too.

FJRCOIL.JPG

The red arrow is pointing to the coil for the Audiovox cc tach wire. The female power block is to the left of the arrow, between the screw plate and the 15 amp fuse.

Would recommend that ETZ check out FJRTECH.COM .
Holy crap!

Am I seeing that photo right? Is the other terminal to the outboard side of the bike (battery oriented port/starbord instead of fore/aft)?

If so, then Yamaha changed the orientation of the bike somewhere along the line. Anyone know what year that happened?

I think you are seeing it wrong Bounce. Looks like the picture is taken from the handlebar side and that is the negative terminal you see. The positive is still facing the front of the bike.

The picture IS deceiving -- the battery hold-down clamp makes it look like the battery ends. Look lower left in the picture and you can see the white Pb lettering on the body of the batt.

Alan

Yeah, that's the neg terminal under the D panel. As far as I know, no one has changed any orientation and everyone has that terminal block with a fuse. Maybe it's ABS specific? Who knows. I'm a little confused about Bounce's confusion. But that's my normal state.

Yeah, ETZ, I can understand you being overwhelmed by the mass infusion of information. There's a lot to take in. Ain't it great!

In my pic, you can see the cheapo crimped light blue end on the black wire in the terminal block. That's the open spot. Free juice! Think it's switched, too.

In my pic, you can see the cheapo crimped light blue end on the black wire in the terminal block. That's the open spot. Free juice! Think it's switched, too.
I just checked that spot last week on my future bike, and I determined it was not switched (always hot).