Anybody had any LEO problems w/aux lights?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
I heard that it's illegal (at least in CA) to have auxiliary lights that don't have covers in place when on a public roadway. I've also heard of people getting ticketed secondhand but no confirmations. So, has anybody had any direct or contrary experiences, cage or bike?

Only once when some friends :) were wheelin on a beach,,,, way back when stupidity overuled common sense :) They lined everyone up and went through everyone 4wd with a fine tooth comb. About 20 wheelers in the club at that time. Some guys got tickets for uncovered lights on the roll bar / grill. Everyone received a ticket for something, maybe we shouldn't have been wheelin on a state beach :D

Never even heard of that with a bike in Oregon, but for cars, it doesn't matter if they're covered or uncovered. They just can't be turned on when mounted over 52 inches above the roadway (I'm pretty sure it's 52 - maybe 48, been awhile and I forget...) if you're on a public roadway. And, you can't have more than 4 white lights illuminated on the front of your vehicle at any time, again while on a public road.

I had a YOUNG town cop here in Strong Island ask me if I was an emergency vehicle... WTF???!!! HE was talking about my hyperlights that have the continuous flashing... I asked him "Did you see me?", "Yes" OK, so what's the problem???...

He walked away scratching his head.... :asshat2: !!!

Never even heard of that with a bike in Oregon, but for cars, it doesn't matter if they're covered or uncovered. They just can't be turned on when mounted over 52 inches above the roadway (I'm pretty sure it's 52 - maybe 48, been awhile and I forget...) if you're on a public roadway. And, you can't have more than 4 white lights illuminated on the front of your vehicle at any time, again while on a public road.
I think the CA law has something to do with height as well (roof-mounted lights).

Some covers for the PHID's might be cool tough. They would keep the lenses cleaner and free from chips in the daytime, and they could have catchy logos on them as well. :D

Some covers for the PHID's might be cool tough. They would keep the lenses cleaner and free from chips in the daytime, and they could have catchy logos on them as well. :D
I don't know buddy, I think you've got farkle fever... ;)

Man, I'm glad I live in the free midwest. No smog /EGR tests. No lens cover restrictions. No green sticker/red sticker crap. No 7,500 used bike import laws.

Rung what you brung around here.

Roof mounted lights and all.

Let freedom ring

Man, I'm glad I live in the free midwest. No smog /EGR tests. No lens cover restrictions. No green sticker/red sticker crap. No 7,500 used bike import laws.
No beaches, no California girls in bikinis at the beach, no snow/salt on the roads, or freezing rain...Plenty of good, some bad. It's the price of admission. ;) I'm sure most everyone in CA could afford to move out, but the other way around would definitely be harder. Gladly, I was born here!

I think the CA law has something to do with height as well (roof-mounted lights).

T.C.,

Don't worry about the lights on your bike. The law only applies to off road lights.

Rick