Anybody have any comments on these?? (edit) Dog bones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If memory serves (and it might not), the shortest Meissner bones raise the rear approx 20mm, or roughly 0.78 inches. Call it 3/4 inch or even 0.8.

If you used the short Meissners and then raised the front end 5mm in the triples, you'd probably have about 5/8 inch at the seat, a bike that turns in more quickly, and shouldn't be too unstable or push the front.

Of course, the REAL solution is to go for the full GP suspension setup. I got my call from them today. I'll probably take the bike down there in the next couple of weeks to get the front end done. I'll probably go with a Works Performance rear shock.

I know all the racers on this board already understand what I'm going to say.

So,for the uninformed(no I'm not running for office),It's my understanding that if you get your speed down while you're mostly up,you should be getting on the throttle when clearance is needed most,giving it lift to over come the down force of CF.

I'm speaking of concept not one bike(fjr)from another.

It was the only thing not mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO they look a little wimpy to me. Don't think i would trust pushing 680 lbs of MC on those things. Got's to be something a little more HD than those i hope.

Of course, the REAL solution is to go for the full GP suspension setup.
Most definitely.

Though I still maintain that if WW is still on the OEM shock, it really should be punted in favor of something appropriate for tossing this bike around to the degree he appears to be doing. :D If you had the coinage to get in on the current Group Buy, you could score yourself a Ohlins that has the additional ride height built-in, and it's even adjustable.

Of course, the REAL solution is to go for the full GP suspension setup.
Most definitely.

Though I still maintain that if WW is still on the OEM shock, it really should be punted in favor of something appropriate for tossing this bike around to the degree he appears to be doing. :D If you had the coinage to get in on the current Group Buy, you could score yourself a Ohlins that has the additional ride height built-in, and it's even adjustable.

+ 1,000,000 Warchild!

Absolutely the way to go!

Wish I could sneak it by Momma but we spendy too much $ right now on the house.

WW

WW:

What parts are dragging? Foot pegs? Exhaust? Centerstand? Perhaps there are some low cost mods to those items that might buy you the extra clearance you are looking for. Removing the centerstand is certainly the cheapest mod you could make. :D

Dave

Webby, I have a inexpensive solution......go slower. :p

Oh wait, that's right I remember you telling me that you coddled & over protected too much as a child and now all you want to do is run away from everyone as fast as you can. :evil:

Cya this afternoon buddy. :D

WW:What parts are dragging? Foot pegs? Exhaust? Centerstand? Perhaps there are some low cost mods to those items that might buy you the extra clearance you are looking for. Removing the centerstand is certainly the cheapest mod you could make. :D

Dave
I think continuing to drag the parts in question is a low-cost way to remove or 'mod' said parts to get more clearance.

Find an empty lot/roundabout, lean till you drag, drive till you don't drag anymore. Repeat. Eventually, you'll get rid of those pesky centerstands/footpegs/luggage/alternator covers...

:)

a machinist buddy of mine made similar dogbones for my fj to raise the ride height, as i was having the same problem as you, despite making efforts to get off the bike as much as possible. big difference. i do have to carry around a block of wood, tied to a length of leather shoelace due to the steeper angle when i set it down on the sidestand, especially on a hill. i'm likely going to do the same for the fjr, as it scrapes just as easily, if not moreso. i also have to keep a board of wood handy, for when i put the fj up on the c/stand to do chain maintenance. obviously not the same for the fjr, but if for whatever reason you need to spin the rear wheel, you'll likely need to boost the height of the bike by putting the bike up on the c/s with a board underneath. and this requires more oomph to get it up on the c/s.

ymmv,

dean

Hey all,
I have a bad habit of pushing my FJR and scraping hard parts.

Looking for input on what you all think of raising the rear up a tad with these dog bones.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Raising-Ris...emZ270287473949

They claim to raise the bike 1.25 inches. I have done very fine with the rear stock shock (dialed in and up correctly)..

Just looking for some more clearance. FYI, I have noticed that even with the rear tire worn to the edges the front tire still has

plenty of room to go (chicken strips...Even when I am dragging hard parts!!). Thats why I thought these might work.

How much (if any) do you think these would negate the bikes handling...

Ideas, opinions??

THX,

WW

I wanted my bike to turn in faster so I put the shortest Meissner bones I could find on and got what I wanted. As and added benefit I got a little more clearance but the rear tire drags the ground on the center stand. I also raised the forks in the clamps to rake it in even more. A 641 Wilbers came later and made things that much better. I am very happy with my set up and have yet to feel any negative effects at speeds under 130. This set up work well for me in the medium to tight twisties in the 30-80 mph range on rough to average road surfaces. I can’t claim to be a great rider or know the latest technique but I do know my bike works much better for me now that stock.
Thanks UberKul,

Good info and thanks or sharing.

WW

WW,

I had the same dogbones as Uberkul on my bike until I got the GPSuspension upgrade (adjustability of the Penske renders them moot). I liked 'em a lot, although I did the opposite of Uberkul on the front and shoved the forks down in the brackets as far as I could to try to maintain as close to original rake as possible.

Want 'em? PM me.

RsvlFeej

Also, a good friend of mine has been racing until about three years ago for about 30 years. He has been one of the top amateur roadracers in Texas, and is well known in the AMA/ CRRC (or whatever they call it today) clubs. When he hung it up three years ago his sprint race bike was a Ducati 999S and his endurance bike a Honda CBR1000RR (he owns a Honda/Ducati dealer, btw). I've watched him race for years. He never hung off, and seldom lost.
Ronnie Lunsford is an exceptional case. I agree he never leaves the seat. But to say he seldom loses isn't quite true. Ronnie currently owns NO track records in the CMRA, and hasn't for a long long time.

If hanging off didn't do anything, then why would EVERY top level racer use the technique? Simply to waste energy? Physics AND practical use go hand in hand in the real world.

HOWEVER, use of the technique on the FJR barge is probably futile. The effect would be minimal, and you'd still get nowhere near the lean angle of a box stock R1 on OEM rubber.
Ronnie is also 51 years old (give or take a year - I can never remember) - no surprise that he doesn't own any records. But even in his last few years, he was always in the hunt for winning on any given day. I'm glad you know who he is.

BTW, if you read my post, I didn't say that there were not advantages to hanging off. But I do contend that it is not so much to corner faster in terms of physics, rather it's a method of controlling the bike at todays speeds.

<snip>....FJR and scraping hard parts. Looking for input on what you all think of raising the rear up a tad with these dog bones.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Raising-Ris...emZ270287473949

They claim to raise the bike 1.25 inches.

How much (if any) do you think these would negate the bikes handling...

Ideas, opinions??

THX,
Those (ebay dogbones) look just fine. I made my own from mild steel (using some measurements from the UK FJR site, years ago) -- work just fine.

Of course, I needed to extend the sidestand a bunch and add-on to the centerstand feet to make those things effective, too.

In my case, the raised rear solved a myriad of problems I had with the stock FJR: hard parts dragging, un-sporting, un-comfortable riding position, and 'un-sporting' handling -- with no apparent negative effects, stability-wise. It does make the bike taller, tho (duh....).

Motorcyclist Magazine's first FJR ride report panned the bike for dragging hard parts and 'dull' handling -- despite having a 'killer' motor and being great in many other areas.

After my initial ownership, I could only concur.

On the secondary issue of this thread -- "hanging off": In the history of motorcycle riding moving your body off-center to the inside of the corner was popularized by King Kenny Roberts in the 1970s. Many motorcycles were ridden well and fast before Kenny Roberts. Not to say it (hanging-off) doesn't have merits -- as another riding technique.

A really good motorcycle maybe? needs less in the way of (other) techniques....?? :blink: :rolleyes:

You're welcome

(...) He raised his rear ride height on his 05 FJR and I think using some aftermarket dogbone. All I know is that his FJR handles like it's on rails. He has Wilbers rear shock and springs. When on the centerstand, the rear wheel still touches the ground. Along with the Holeshot header and PCIII, that FJR was DIALED IN. Shit, that thing was fun to toss around the Swiss Alps.(...)
Hey Greg, I sure am glad you enjoyed that --- while I was trying to keep up on a stock C-14... :D

WW, the Meissner dogbones have raised my bike's rear end by one inch. Beside the Wilbers front/rear combo, I also have a fork brace.

There are no adverse effects on the bike's handling, even at speed. What you get in return is what SkooterG described: the bike's pretty darn quick in the twisties and surgical in its steering precision.

Stef

Ronnie is also 51 years old (give or take a year - I can never remember) - no surprise that he doesn't own any records. But even in his last few years, he was always in the hunt for winning on any given day. I'm glad you know who he is.
BTW, if you read my post, I didn't say that there were not advantages to hanging off. But I do contend that it is not so much to corner faster in terms of physics, rather it's a method of controlling the bike at todays speeds.
Granted. Ronnie was always gonna get on the box. He's a fast guy. FWIW - my avatar is me at Texas World. Ronnie's kicked my ass LOTS of times.

Hahahaha!

Gramps,

Too funny. Had a great time riding. Wish I had been able to break away from work sooner!

Stef,

Sounds like you are happy with your setup.... Along with SkooterG!

Thanks to all that have added insight to these dog bones. I may give them a try.

WW

Latest posts