Anybody tried Chinese knock-off plastic?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
2004 FJR left side panel. $640.20 retail. $494.78 through Zanotti. Prices before shipping. Dang, OEM replacement prices are going through the roof! I think I paid like $360 for that panel a few years back.

So a little bird sent me a note this morning (thanks vectervp1!) about some stuff I was unaware of: Chinese knock-off fairing plastic for the FJR. And the stuff is CHEAP!

So what I want to know - does anybody have any direct experience with the quality of the stuff?

Clicky for cheap chinese knock-off plastic.

Wonder how much lead and cadmium is in the paint? Not that it would be a concern unless you plan on eating it. :lol:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's made with the same moulds as the OEM... and possibly in the same plant.

No Gen II plastic yet... bummer :(

If I needed a new fairing (and they had Gen II), I'd give it a try.

Griff

When the Chinese start playing fair with their currency, and when the Chinese environmental protections and labor rules are similar to those in western cultures, and when US based businessmen stop moving all modern manufacturing facilities to China, I might buy some Chinese stuff again.

This year my new year's resolution was to NOT buy anything from China, even if I had to do without or pay through the nose for other sourcing (USA first, then Euro & Canadian, then general third world including Mexico, and last China).

The way I see it, we are not in a jobless recovery... we are in a recovery where the manufacturing jobs have nearly all been outsourced. Engineering jobs are already moving as phase II. Business jobs will be last to go because it is the business guys who are driving these decisions, and they will protect their own butts as long as they can. When the top jobs are all held by Chinese, which is part of the plan since you can't manufacture in China without a Chinese partner, then the business guys will be screwed too..... sort of like musical chairs.

Our kids and grand kids are going to have a pretty crummy future if we don't wake up. Anybody buying Chinese Pandas (gold coins)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for it in a second ...it's just plastic.

the shipping seems high ..but even factoring it in the pricing is good. You could likely buy all those components, use the ones you need and then sell the other stuff piece meal and make back half of your costs.

BTW, go to any auto body shop ....the original OEM parts don't get used much anymore, this is no different.

I don't really understand the custom color .....what does that mean? ..are they matching it up to your Gen1 color?

7.jpg

Durability shouldn't be a major concern for you ScooterG. You only need it to last what - maybe 6 months before you break it again ? You buy now ! :D

So you get the whole set of plastic, so a color mismatch is no big deal. Except for that one big steel part in front of the seat.

So are they cheaper if you have to paint something, since OEM comes painted for your model year?

I'd go for it in a second ...it's just plastic.
the shipping seems high ..but even factoring it in the pricing is good. You could likely buy all those components, use the ones you need and then sell the other stuff piece meal and make back half of your costs.

BTW, go to any auto body shop ....the original OEM parts don't get used much anymore, this is no different.

I don't really understand the custom color .....what does that mean? ..are they matching it up to your Gen1 color?

7.jpg
Photos look like '04 to me. The turn signal is Gen 1.5, and the color would be close to '04 grey.

But, that calls the whole auction into question. I'd ask for photos of a true gen 1 side panel, or factor in the cost of the turn signals and realize you'll have to splice the wiring harness.

Of course, flipper won't care, it's already an '04.

The way I see it, we are not in a jobless recovery... because it is the business guys who are driving these decisions, and ... all modern manufacturing facilities to China.

There's more to the equation than just businessmen trying to save a dime. Many US companies want to make too much money to stay competitive. I put jobs out for bid to both US and overseas companies on a daily basis, and the overseas win most of the time. I don't like shipping USA dollars overseas, but our business wouldn't exist if we could only use USA sources.

Let's get this thread back on track.

Skooter: I doubt anyone here has tried these, and hopefully they will speak up. The photos of the vendor's showroom have a lot of different models. I bet they have a good amount of experience.

My best educated guess is that you'll find the parts are slightly wonky, and the OEM quality will definitely be higher, but you won't care, and you'll install them in a heartbeat.

I was looking at the euro sets. If you don't mind painting the tank & saddle bags to match, a complete new set of plastixc is around $800. I don't have access to the link currently, but will post it up later. Partial to the crimson and grey color scheme.

Sure makes buying a used 08 or 09 more attractive. At least it will when they offer Gen-II.

Here's what I'd be most concerned about. Somebody obviously obtained access or ownership to the OEM molds. That normally happens AFTER the OEM has reached what they consider End Of Life. It can only mean that OEM prices for those plastic parts will skyrocket as Yamaha depletes their stock.

Oh, I'm sorry SkooterG. That had (almost) nothing to do with your original question. Please pardon me.

YAMAHA 01-03 FJR1300 FJR 1300 ABS FAIRING Body Work 02

Am I missing something here? Is the 01 Faring for a prototype? 2003 to 2005 the same?

I was thinking about that chinese bodywork when i was interested in that crashed '06 on Ebay in Louisville, KY. I was told "you pick any color you like, i paint for you." I was partial to the MV Agusta silver/red combo. Haven't seen one of those around yet, but the guy in KY wouldn't budge off $3500. It didn't pencil out for a salvage title with $3000 worth of work. He's hoping for a bigger idiot than me. I think he still has the bike.

Instead I found a 2007, 7700mi that was tipped over without bags, and a painter in CT that had just painted someones tank same color a month before. He asked the guy if i could buy the leftover paint from him and saved me a butt load. Oh, and i sold my 2003 without the bags so i could keep em for this one. They're being painted next week along with the scratched parts. Gotta love FJR's, the bags fit all years.

Anyone need a good painter in CT?

When the Chinese start playing fair with their currency, and when the Chinese environmental protections and labor rules are similar to those in western cultures, and when US based businessmen stop moving all modern manufacturing facilities to China, I might buy some Chinese stuff again.
This year my new year's resolution was to NOT buy anything from China, even if I had to do without or pay through the nose for other sourcing (USA first, then Euro & Canadian, then general third world including Mexico, and last China).

The way I see it, we are not in a jobless recovery... we are in a recovery where the manufacturing jobs have nearly all been outsourced. Engineering jobs are already moving as phase II. Business jobs will be last to go because it is the business guys who are driving these decisions, and they will protect their own butts as long as they can. When the top jobs are all held by Chinese, which is part of the plan since you can't manufacture in China without a Chinese partner, then the business guys will be screwed too..... sort of like musical chairs.

Our kids and grand kids are going to have a pretty crummy future if we don't wake up. Anybody buying Chinese Pandas (gold coins)?
Well, it started with major industries going to Japan, and they didn't have the same EPA requirements we had either, and had an unfair advantage. We are ridin Jap bikes..... just sayin.

We lost the war on outsourcing. These companies even outsource anything you can do with a telephone.

I'd say the chance that you're going to find a domestic source of manufacturing for FJR plastic is a big fat zero. It's gonna come from some third world country where the worker gets a hut and pot of rice for his efforts. Might as well pay the least amount possible.

Now, with things where you have an acceptable choice (I don't consider Harley an acceptable choice), I'm with you, and try to buy stuff made here, but this is not a case where you have a choice.

I'd try it if I needed it.