Anybody tried Chinese knock-off plastic?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ask, I highly suspect they will custom paint them any color that they currently have.

I strongly suggest WHITE!

(If I can't get a Gen III in white later this year, I'm going to paint mine.)

I go to Guangzhou occasionally (its about 2 hours north of Hong Kong). You already buy many products from that area whether you know it or not (electronics, TVs, appliances, everything from Walmart and Target, etc).

I researched these plastics on other bikes earlier this year. I think you'll find that they are slightly more flexible and that you might have to slightly alter some of the bolt holes. But the price is right if you like the color.

The "complete" sets are anywhere from $388 to $528 on eBay, depending on the vendor. "Complete" means upper and lower fairings both sides, nose cowl, cap for the windshield drive, panel under the radiator, side panels under the seat on each side, front fender, and the rear body. Very cheap compared to OEM parts, but do they fit? Will they stand up to use? Somebody's gonna be first.

Send 'em to Garauld to match your original color, or send him your tank, rack, and bags to get them matched to these. EZ!!

YAMAHA 01-03 FJR1300 FJR 1300 ABS FAIRING Body Work 02Am I missing something here? Is the 01 Faring for a prototype? 2003 to 2005 the same?
FJR was available worldwide in '01. Only we in the U.S. had to wait til '03 to get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it started with major industries going to Japan, and they didn't have the same EPA requirements we had either, and had an unfair advantage. We are ridin Jap bikes..... just sayin.We lost the war on outsourcing. These companies even outsource anything you can do with a telephone.

I'd say the chance that you're going to find a domestic source of manufacturing for FJR plastic is a big fat zero. It's gonna come from some third world country where the worker gets a hut and pot of rice for his efforts. Might as well pay the least amount possible.

Now, with things where you have an acceptable choice (I don't consider Harley an acceptable choice), I'm with you, and try to buy stuff made here, but this is not a case where you have a choice.

I'd try it if I needed it.

Anyone remember tobacco, cotton, and timber farming? Textiles? Furniture? The USA was used for outsourcing cheap labor and land before it WAS the USA.

"Anyone remember tobacco, cotton, and timber farming? Textiles? Furniture? The USA was used for outsourcing cheap labor and land before it WAS the USA."

Your not nancy pelosi are you?

2004 FJR left side panel. $640.20 retail. $494.78 through Zanotti. Prices before shipping. Dang, OEM replacement prices are going through the roof! I think I paid like $360 for that panel a few years back.

So a little bird sent me a note this morning (thanks vectervp1!) about some stuff I was unaware of: Chinese knock-off fairing plastic for the FJR. And the stuff is CHEAP!

So what I want to know - does anybody have any direct experience with the quality of the stuff?

Clicky for cheap chinese knock-off plastic.
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but back on topic! :D

Apparently a couple of folks on the Honda CBR Forum had good experiences with some Selina-MOTO parts.

Annndddd...with your propensity for cuffing/scratching/breaking body parts, I wouldn't suggest sending them to Garauld.

Paint them flat black with a rattle-can. Available anywhere in case a "touch up" is needed. You can tell everyone it's an "FJR Dark".

;)

:lol:

Jist tryin' tuh hep! :)

Paint them flat black with a rattle-can.
Speaking from my role as president of the "Bike Inspection Team" at the upcoming Gen1 gathering ....

Whether you come with china plastic, or rattle-can black, ...or a bare "naked" bike you will be allowed to participate.

--->now, that assumes you get lucky and catch an invitation in the Gen1 Gathering via the upcoming invitation lottery ....but I wish you luck in doing so.

Paint them flat black with a rattle-can.
Speaking from my role as president of the "Bike Inspection Team" at the upcoming Gen1 gathering ....

Whether you come with china plastic, or rattle-can black, ...or a bare "naked" bike you will be allowed to participate.

--->now, that assumes you get lucky and catch an invitation in the Gen1 Gathering via the upcoming invitation lottery ....but I wish you luck in doing so.

Think his luck will be any better than teaching his FJR to fly ???

Bigger context question for Scooter -

Does this mean the frame is still straight and the dirty whore will return?

Bigger context question for Scooter -
Does this mean the frame is still straight and the dirty whore will return?
Still unknown, but I am hopeful.

I haven't touched it yet. No time, with too much else going on. I was hoping to fix it myself on my own dime, but after pricing replacement parts a couple days ago I decided to call the insurance company and make a claim. So now I am waiting for them to take a look at it. I will still do the repairs myself, but will let the insurance company foot the bill.

My SWAG: insurance estimate of repairs will come out to $3500-$4000 and it will NOT be totaled. I am being optimistic that whatever is wrong with the front end is going to be fork related, and not frame. I think it's going to be tough to determine that however as whatever is off, is not off my much. Hopefully, once the adjuster takes a look and I can start tearing her apart I'll be able to see what is wrong.