Anyone had problems with the E55's remote release?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike747

Reaction score
I just bought a Givi E55 and put the remote release on it. But the remote release does not release on the first try. I almost always have to do it twice. The first just buzzes, and the second will release it.

Battery was topped up and I double checked the install. I can push a small object into the little hole to manually release the latch with little effort. But that test is done with the lid open and no load on the latches so it may not be valid. I've contact Givi, but they were little to no help.

Anyone else have this problem?

I just bought a Givi E55 and put the remote release on it. But the remote release does not release on the first try. I almost always have to do it twice. The first just buzzes, and the second will release it.

Battery was topped up and I double checked the install. I can push a small object into the little hole to manually release the latch with little effort. But that test is done with the lid open and no load on the latches so it may not be valid. I've contact Givi, but they were little to no help.

Anyone else have this problem?
PM Yamafitter...I think he has a remote release on his trunk.

My latch always releases with the remote.The only thing I could suggest is to spray the latch mechanism with silicon lube. My suspicion is that something is causing the solenoid to hang up but this is just a guess.

My latch always releases with the remote.The only thing I could suggest is to spray the latch mechanism with silicon lube. My suspicion is that something is causing the solenoid to hang up but this is just a guess.
I looked the solenoid over pretty thoroughly and it looked to be free moving. And tests with power looked good. When I contacted Givi they suggested the same thing you did. When I get home from China, I'll try that.

Mine buzzes. Does yours? I mean when I press the button the first time it definitely buzzes cause it actually doesn't open. But even on the second one it buzzes for a few milliseconds before it releases. It sounds like it would burn out the solenoid at some point.

Mine also has a fairly noisy buzz. I have never had the cover off to look at the mechanism so I don't know if any adjustments are possible.

Actually it was a stupid question for me to ask. Solenoids are either on or off. Of course they are going to buzz when they are actuated.

Actually it was a stupid question for me to ask. Solenoids are either on or off. Of course they are going to buzz when they are actuated.
Not really a dumb question. I am a retired Industrial Instrumentation Tech but also did a lot of work on Electrical systems (Qualified Industrial Electrician). The buzzing from the solenoid is usually generated from loose laminations in the core of the coil. The loud buzzing to me is an indication of a poor quality solenoid. A good quality solenoid will just make a clicking sound as the armature of the solenoid hits against its stop.

The fact that the laminations in the core may the loose does not mean that the solenoid will fail but it will make the solenoid less efficient.

One thing to check since the Givi connector is a known POS. I use an Admore connector to power my lights and use the Givi connector to power the remote lock release. I found that coating the contacts of the Givi connector with dielectric grease seems to help provide a better connection to ensure the solenoid is getting full voltage.

Last edited by a moderator: