Anyone import and FJR in Canada?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QC does not allow us to keep the original title. my fjr was a salvage and the only difference was that there was an extra inspection by the provincial dimwits and they marked my registration with a 'RECONSTRUIT' note. Canadian Customs and the provincial bodies know the differences between salvage, clean and scrapped titles. they use carfax etc.

make sure you know that US CBP needs 72 business hours to process the title and that they may not process the actual 'export' outside of business hours as well. i arrived at 4;15 and was almost turned around because processing the title and the export are both done until 4pm at this station.

If you want, you can have an official title in your name, as I did, by going to the local title office and asking for one. allow for the time they might need to give it to you. The dealer I bought from did that for me with a 'power of attorney' note specifically for that purpose. they also gave me a temp tag.

a temp tag may also be purchased from the state DMV, which is valid anywhere for the time before it expires. no one can tell you that you 'cant' ride it with one as you are in the process of registering it in your home province so they have to allow you some grace. canada customs allowed me to ride through Ontario to QC with this.

insurance depends on your local companies. my bike was insured in Ohio as of the day I picked it up. I needed to prove I bought it with a signed contract and some pictures from the dealer and that was it.

i even got some of the GST (and then PST) written off because I was out of country for 5 days. :fans: (Moto GP@Indy!) :fans: remember, we are allowed to bring back a certain amount of goods tax and duty free depending on how long you are away and this amount was deducted from my bike's price.

REMEMBER; the people working on both sides of the border have jerks bitching at them all day long. They didn't "have" to deduct an amount because I was away for 5 days but I was polite and respectful so they "wanted" to help me out. They could have charged me duty but they didnt. Same for the US side.

rant on;

I hope Yamaha Canada is reading this because there is no justification for the prices we pay for their products here (except for lining their coffers) AND I WILL CONTINUE TO BUY FROM THE U.S. UNTIL THEY REALIZE THIS AND SET THEIR PRICING FAIRLY OR GO UNDER.

rant off.

one thing i forgot; in order to discourage the cross border sales of new bikes and cars, manufacturers are doing the only thing they can; not honor warranties.

Why you ask? Because they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Demetri!! Actually it's all great info from everyone. It looks like I have found the bike I'll be buying here on the forum. I can't wait. We shall see how it all goes. We are already having a possible problem getting the Recall Clearance letter from Yamaha. But hopefully it will get here in time.

One question! I have heard that you need a trip permit from each state that you go through is that right? Or is it like what I think Demetri said and that is you only need one that is current. Also is it OK if you give the U.S. border guys more than 72 hours notice. I could go there tomorrow and give them 5 or 6 days notice. I know it's a dumb question but I go on the premise that there's no dumb questions. So there! Anyway I really stoked to get this bike. It'll be the first new bike in a long, long, long time.

Thanks for the info Demetri!! Actually it's all great info from everyone. It looks like I have found the bike I'll be buying here on the forum. I can't wait. We shall see how it all goes. We are already having a possible problem getting the Recall Clearance letter from Yamaha. But hopefully it will get here in time.
is the bike up to date with any recalls? mine needed the TPS done.

One question! I have heard that you need a trip permit from each state that you go through is that right? Or is it like what I think Demetri said and that is you only need one that is current.
best to ask the local DMV. they're all on the web. i went through 4 states with just an Ohio temp.

Also is it OK if you give the U.S. border guys more than 72 hours notice. I could go there tomorrow and give them 5 or 6 days notice. I know it's a dumb question but I go on the premise that there's no dumb questions. So there! Anyway I really stoked to get this bike. It'll be the first new bike in a long, long, long time.
all they need is the title and contract (or at least the contact info of the seller if private), if any. I had my dealer fedex it to the border crossing about a week before I crossed with the bike. only problem was that the export office closed at 4 and I arrived at 415! :nono:

Thanks Demetri!!! I am thinking! Yeah I know that's dangerous!! :D Anyway. OK I let the U.S. customs know that I will be importing a vehicle. I provide them a copy of the title and owner's contact info. Then give them 72 hours or thereabouts go and pick up the bike and on the way into Canada do I stop at the U.S. customs? If so is there some piece of paper that they give me to show to the Canadian border guys? Or do they just say OK you can proceed to the Canadian crossing. If that's the case do they communicate withe Canadian customs at all. Usually coming back into Canada they don't really provide access to the U.S. border station. I'll be going down tomorrow so I'll check it out. Anyway I am just trying to understand the whole process before I head into the obis. :D

no prob!

yup. you need to stop at the same US crossing station that you sent the title to. they will stamp the title with an export stamp after they check the VIN and they do not deal with Canada Customs at all. after that you head to CC where you declare you are importing the bike. they will take your $$$ for GST.

they are all very well trained in the process and will tell you what you need to know.

Thanks for that. :D I have just come back from the border. I tried to give them a copy of the title but that part of customs is closed for the weekend. Their hours are 8:00 am to 3:30 pm Monday to Friday. So this is good to know. For I will not be able to go down any later than a Wednesday. Because if I leave on Thursday I will not be able to get back to the border till late Friday night meaning I would have to store the bike at the border somewhere till Monday morning. Thought I would let you know you have been a great help. :D

no problem, glad to help.

they may not accept a copy of the title. have the original on hand just in case. it's easy when you know the rules.

I will not have the title in hand until he surenders it to me and I have paid for the bike. I'll find out Monday morning if they wil accept the copy or not. If they don't that will throw a real big wrench into the mix.