Anyone into sports cars?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an "86" Mustang GT Vert. Been through it from front to back. Bought a 355hp Summit Racing crate motor teamed up to a T5 with 3:73s. Not the fastest thing on the road, but it's mine, I built it, and it looks and runs beautiful.
Bananas!
Hey Bananas nice car!

I bought an 86 off the show room floor. Seeing as you have gone through it it must be better than the one I had. I kept complaining that I was burning too much oil. Took it to the dealer several times and was told FORD had used a different material on the rings and they would take 10K miles to seat. Well just shy of 10k I took it out on the highway to see what it would do. 3 as soon as I hit 132 the engine limped real bad.

Back to the dealer, to the same tech I had been dealing with. He found out I had an oil problem. No SH**! Really?

After tearing down the engine it was found that FORD forgot to put piston rings on the #1 cyclinder!!

Tranny was blown within 20K miles, Paint came off in chunks! But boy it was a lot of fun, Drove like it was on rails!

Luckily it was a lease so all the work was covered.

Always curious how long that engine would have lasted. How many miles did it have before you worked on it?

-=SF=-

Just inquiring if anyone here is into sports cars. My FJR is my primary "fun" vehicle, but recently got into sports cars. In reality, I've wanted one for a long time, but a las work and other commitments prohibited the purchase until recently.
Currently have a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo with only 48K miles on it.

It's not as "nice" as a modern car like a C6, S2000, Boxster, etc. But for the price, it's a bargain.

What are ya'll tearing up the streets with?
Not bashing your ride, but I laugh to myself everytime I see the word MR2; I read it as "Mister Two", or "Mentally Retarded, Too".

Of course I see those funny little pick-ups with what I read as "TuRD" :bleh: boldly printed on them and get another chuckle.

Not bashing your ride, but I laugh to myself everytime I see the word MR2; I read it as "Mister Two", or "Mentally Retarded, Too".
Yep, funny name, huh? Stands for MidShip Runabout 2 seater. Others believe it stands for Midengine, Rear Wheel Drive 2 seater. One of Toyota's finest built auto's ever, IMHO. Believe it or not, they (the generation I have from 91-95) are handbuilt by, yep, you guessed it...YAMAHA!!! WOOT!!!

People call them mister2 all the time. But, never heard of Metally Retarded Two!

I call it the "The Wolfe". Not only is the deep snarl growl sound like a wolfe (an angry wolfe at that), but it likes to sneak up on unsuspecting prey and devower them. Mine is modified with a larger turbo, 3" downpipe, external wastegate, K&N FIPK, cats removed, larger intercooler, and some fuel tuning. Also larger brakes 17" rims.

R.E. NSX....very very cool! Don't sell it, you'll regret it forever!

ion, cool car, the Impala SS. That's what my son drives, a '96, black, real nice.

He gets offers all the time for that car; won't sell it.

2005056.jpg

200 CID; 40 HP

She'll get up to 60mph downhill with a tailwind!

Speedfreak,

I bought the car with 138,000 miles on it. It was from Las Vegas, so there was no rust on it whatsoever. Body was perfectly straight. The 302 that was in it still ran perfect. The problem with it was that it only produced 200hp. 86 was the first year for fuel injection for these cars. The type of fuel injection was known as "speed density". The computer was mapped for that engine only. If you attempted to modify the engine at all, you'd have to have the computer remapped for the new combination. Plus the stock motor had flat top pistons without any valve reliefs. That made it impossible to go to a more agressive cam( lift). Therefore the stocker had to go. I bought a 355hp long block crate motor from Summit, changed the speed density to mass air, did paint, top, suspension, interior ect.

It's not the fastest thing around, but for the first three gears it will hang with the best of them.

Bananas!

yamaholic; any idea what your rearwheel hp is on mr2
I would estimate 240-250 rear wheel hp. Really just depends on where the boost is set. With the mods in place now, I'm probably not safe going past 275rwhp.

My plan is to keep it near these numbers for reliability and driveability. Sure, I can crank it up past 400hp (and quite a bit more than that) if I want to, but that would make the car *real* hard to drive, and it would probably kill reliability.