Anyone successfully modified the stock windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtfriedrich

Reaction score
My stock windshield keeps the true wind off of me just fine, but I get too much turbulance buffeting my helmet with the associated noise.

On my prior FJR I put the Yamaha larger windshield on, and it didn't help much, plus it was ugly. I have noticed windshields on other bikes (for example, the very first generation of BMW K1000's) where the mfg had placed little spoiler like wings on the top edge. I wondered if anyone here has had any luck adding something like this to theirs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there something like a spacer that angles the windshield back better so less buffeting? Also, there is a add-on flip for the FJR windshield.

For the summer, I have a cut down stock windshield. It ends just about one inch above the tips of thw W arms. When I cut it, I maintained the same top profile as the original. It offers virtually no wind protection and is the most comfortable, quietest windshield of the three I alternate on the bike (depending on season). At very high speeds, when you feel the pressure on your chest, raising the stubby about an inch instantly reduces it to a manageable level.

I have found that the shape of the FJR produces (for me) a huge amount of wind noise. As an experiment, I took off the windshield and although the wind force was stronger it was alot less noisy. Of couse there was no protection from the elements like rain, cold, snow etc. Even when the shield was at its highet setting I would still have to crouch down a little bit to find a quiet zone. I wear ear plugs all the time, but sometimes I want to hear music or talk on the CB.

So I bought a piece of lexan for $5 and made a shield extender. I used a propane heater to shape it the same as the stock shield. Now, when I raise the shield I can find the magical quiet zone. Cheap and effective, but obviously not the most attractive. Function over fashion.

IMGP0035-2.jpg

IMGP0039.jpg

IMGP0040.jpg

I have found that the shape of the FJR produces (for me) a huge amount of wind noise. As an experiment, I took off the windshield and although the wind force was stronger it was alot less noisy. Of couse there was no protection from the elements like rain, cold, snow etc. Even when the shield was at its highet setting I would still have to crouch down a little bit to find a quiet zone. I wear ear plugs all the time, but sometimes I want to hear music or talk on the CB.

So I bought a piece of lexan for $5 and made a shield extender. I used a propane heater to shape it the same as the stock shield. Now, when I raise the shield I can find the magical quiet zone. Cheap and effective, but obviously not the most attractive. Function over fashion.

IMGP0035-2.jpg

IMGP0039.jpg

IMGP0040.jpg
Your solution looks pretty good. Just some questions before I borrow it; 1) how much more does it vibrate at speed (could the wind break the shield over time)? 2) does there appear to be a lot of stress to the screen at the bolts? 3) would the polycarbonate plastic sold a Home Depot (the thick stuff) work ok? 4) How did you form the plastic to match the curve of the stock screen?

[Your solution looks pretty good. Just some questions before I borrow it; 1) how much more does it vibrate at speed (could the wind break the shield over time)? 2) does there appear to be a lot of stress to the screen at the bolts? 3) would the polycarbonate plastic sold a Home Depot (the thick stuff) work ok? 4) How did you form the plastic to match the curve of the stock screen?

It flaps more than the stock one but not enough to break anything.

There doesn't appear to be any stress at the bolt holes. I didn't use a drill for the holes. I used a small dremel tool that kind of cut/melted it's way through. The lexan was very cheap, so I made a prototype/practice one first, then the good one.

The plastic I used is about 1/8" thick. The thicker plastic may be harder to cut and form, but if it's cheap enough who cares.

I have one of those propane heaters that fits on a 20 lb propane tank. I held the plastic over the heat and gently and very carefully heated it up. It takes some skill and practice to heat it just enough to shape it but not melt it. I just held the edges and you could feel the plastic start to sag in the middle. I just did this until I got the curvature to match the stock shield.

...I have one of those propane heaters that fits on a 20 lb propane tank. I held the plastic over the heat and gently and very carefully heated it up. It takes some skill and practice to heat it just enough to shape it but not melt it. I just held the edges and you could feel the plastic start to sag in the middle. I just did this until I got the curvature to match the stock shield.
In other words, Mike/Moosehead is a frickin artisan.

Glass blowing is your day job, isn't it Mike? Tell the truth now.

Isn't there something like a spacer that angles the windshield back better so less buffeting?
The Rifle Windshield tuning block angles the windshield back. May or may not be the answer for some, just like windscreeens, it's a trial & error thing.

In checking Rifle's site, they show an "angle optimizer kit" for 2006-newer FJR's, unlike the simple tuning block for the Gen 1 bikes.

Finding the exact modification for you.....is a journey. :blink:
+1 indeed!

My stock shield left me at the mercy of a lot of bugs ( and buffeting) on long rides.

I cut down the stock shield, only to remember why I bought a bike with a shield!

Then I got a rifle, which was huge! So I trimmed it lightly to match the profile of the stock, and hokus-pokus peanut butter sandwiches, I found what works for me!

Isn't there something like a spacer that angles the windshield back better so less buffeting?
The Rifle Windshield tuning block angles the windshield back. May or may not be the answer for some, just like windscreeens, it's a trial & error thing.

In checking Rifle's site, they show an "angle optimizer kit" for 2006-newer FJR's, unlike the simple tuning block for the Gen 1 bikes.
The rifle w/block worked for me!

For the summer, I have a cut down stock windshield. It ends just about one inch above the tips of thw W arms. When I cut it, I maintained the same top profile as the original. It offers virtually no wind protection and is the most comfortable, quietest windshield of the three I alternate on the bike (depending on season). At very high speeds, when you feel the pressure on your chest, raising the stubby about an inch instantly reduces it to a manageable level.
Any chance of some pics of your cut-down stock screen? Also, could you pls share any details on how you cut it down without butchering it up - thanks.

Depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be shielded from the wind and the buffeting? Do you want more air flow to stay cool, etc.?

Many posts about modifying the windscreen. Some have cut nice holes in the windscreen; others have put in tuning blocks or spacers; others have both; and yet others have even cut the top off their windscreens, all in search of windscreen nirvana.

The rifle tuning block does the best for relieving buffeting IMO. It allows quite a bit of air flow under the windscreen. I use spacers on mine to maintain the erect height, but still have some air and relieve the buffeting, a compromise to the Rifle TB. I also have a stock WS cut done by 3-4 inches, I can't remember now. It is great for summer air flow and buffeting issues. I use the spacers year round.

Good luck in your windscreen nirvana search. ;)

I use the CBailey +2+2 w/flip screen normally, but am considering chopping down (by I guess around 3-4 inches) my stock screen for summer as others have done and seem to like. I really was just looking for ideas/suggestions on the best way to do it, so it doesn't look horrible. I guess, just tape off the line to follow and dremel away :unsure: ?

For the summer, I have a cut down stock windshield. It ends just about one inch above the tips of the W arms. When I cut it, I maintained the same top profile as the original. It offers virtually no wind protection and is the most comfortable, quietest windshield of the three I alternate on the bike (depending on season). At very high speeds, when you feel the pressure on your chest, raising the stubby about an inch instantly reduces it to a manageable level.
Any chance of some pics of your cut-down stock screen? Also, could you pls share any details on how you cut it down without butchering it up - thanks.

I'll try to remember to get some pictures the next time I mount it. The cutting was pretty simple. I masking taped the whole top of the windshield and used that to draw a template, using the top edge as a guide. A saber saw with a metal cutting blade, moved very slowly to prevent melting was the cutting tool. After cutting, I used several different things to fine tune the profile, starting with a dremel which I found too hard to control (still have a scratch which I will some day buff out). Long surform was the best for control and shaping. Finished by polishing with sanding blocks using progressively finer grit, down to 2000. To get it to look good you really have to put on a nice rounded, highly polished edge.

In retrospect, if you have a permanently mounted belt sander where you could move the shield over the sanding surface, that would probably give you the best result. Just remember to go slowly and lightly to prevent melting.

BTW, I cut the shield on the bike. It was the best way I could find to hold it steady without marking it. I protected the whole front of the bike with toweling to prevent damage and to keep the little plastic chips from getting into everything.

Because the airflow was changed for Gen II models, it's impossible to correlate what affect aftermarket shields will do to your bike unless it's the same Gen. I believe that 08 and newer have a redesigned mechanism that precludes using spacers like I installed on my 07 (that tip the shield back a little and affect airflow), so my results probably don't apply to you either. Best option is to try out shields on your bike to find what you like. That can get expensive if buying shields. :blink: But I'm just south of you near Sumner and have Vsteam, CeeBailey +2 high flip and a cut-down stock shield. PM me if you want to try out any of my shields. You could stop by, pop one on and take it for a spin. Repeat as necessary. :yahoo:

Anyone try this on a bandsaw? I'm mostly worried about scratching the shield while I'm cutting. Maybe just cover the whole thing with blue painter's tape draw the cut-off line and cut away. I could cover the band saw table with tape as well.

I've got just about every power tool known to man, so I'm open for options.