Anyone tried or use Howard Leight Pilot ear plugs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me. . . I signed up that first day, and haven't even received the sales brochure. Guess you get what you pay for. . .

I use the Howard Leight Max (33dba) and really like them. I think I got a box of 200 pairs for something like $25 from eBay so I could probably throw them away every day, but I end up using a pair for maybe 2 weeks before they start getting too hard to fit properly.

I'm also a Howard Leight Max fan. To date, they are the only plugs capable of giving my gigunda ear canals (especially the left side one) the amount of seal and attenuation I want. To be able to jam them in far enough into my canals, I routinely trim the first few mm. of the tips off on these ear plugs (think earplug circumcision) , which allows me to get the flared outside part deeper into my ears without causing discomfort at the ear drum.

But the reason I'm responding is because I have a strange, and somewhat disturbing, confession. I find that these "disposable" earplugs tend to work better after a few uses. I've not found out why, exactly, this happens yet, but after a few uses it seems the plugs seal better than they do when brand new. My gut instinct is that they get a little coating of ear wax on them (ughh!! :bad: ) and for whatever reason that allows them to conform better to my ear canals. I'm certainly not advocating this type of a nasty habit for others to follow. I'm pretty much disgusted at myself for even suggesting it. But the facts are the facts.

Still hoping that HL comes through and sends us all some real samples of these new plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, You are not the only one to note that phenomenon with the HL Max. There is a window when they work best. I choose to believe that it has something to do with how many times you compress them to insert them. I suspect your idea has something to do with it also. Dan

I also went to their site and requested a free sample. What I received today was a marketing brochure telling all about the Piilot earplugs - but no ear plugs. In fairness, they included a picture of the earplugs.
I got the literature today also. But no plugs. I sent them an e-mail explaining this and I got an e-mail yesterday that they have sent me a pair. Who knows if it will actually come.

Over the weekend, a package arrived with 5 pilot ear plug packages inside. Maybe I got all your pairs? Or maybe they thought I must be special. :lol: Not "that" kind of special. :eek:

Actually, I work for a large airline and they probably thought there'd be a chance for a big order if they sent me samples. I don't actually do any ordering, but can influence what we buy. We do have the Max version in stock (amoung others), which is my favorite ear plug.

At any rate, on to the short and sweet (or sour in this case) review. Save your money and don't buy any of these. They do not insert easily or seal very well. I used the usual method that involved hanging my arm over the top of my head and pulling up on the opposite ear lobe while inserting the ear plug. I could not get them in nearly enough for a good seal. If I removed the plastic insert and rolled them up like a traditional earplug, then they could go in but that defeats the whole purpose behind this new design. After throwing my test pair in the garbage at home, I took the rest to work for trial fitting on some coworkers. Thumbs down from them.

I'd say stick with what's worked for you up to this point.

Well, it would seem that having a crappy marketing department may not be their only problem. It looks like sticking with the Max plugs is in the cards.

I played up the "SnowAviation" part as my business name.

All it got me was a slick shiney brochure, no samples. Guess I will stick with my bulk box of the Home depot Purple and orange collection, stylish and they work.

I recieved my sample of 6 pair about 2 weeks ago...recieved a call from their customer service dept. about a week later...told them I was not interested in purchasing there product. the ear plugs are actually pretty nice

As expected, I have not received mine either.

I've tried just about every kind/brand of earplug with mixed results. The ones I liked prior to obtaining my SENA SMH10 Headset were these with a NRR of 33.

69116cbb-7454-4c80-8ad1-f1de02c27da3.jpg

However, two things had me looking for yet another type. 1.) The last batch I purchased seemed to have a different consistency in terms of how easily they compressed for insertion into the ear. They didn't want to compress small enough and if you didn't hit the ear canal just right the first time they would expand and you'd have to start over, 2.) The NRR was just high enough that it made hearing the GPS navigation commands at freeway speeds a bit of a challenge. I love my SHOEI X-11 but it's not known for being the quietest helmet available.

I'm always on the lookout for other options and a couple of weeks ago I found myself checking out at Harbor Freight and noticed these on display.

image_3549.jpg

Tried them and took to them instantly. They are the easiest and fastest earplugs of there type to insert. One quick roll between the fingers and in they go. They have a NRR of 29 and thus make the needed difference with the headset audio. While they are disposable, I have washed them and reused them with the same great results.

They are on sale at HF, 50 pair for $5.99. The two reviews below from the HF site describe my feelings exactly. My typical riding day is 10 to 14 hr days and it's the little things that make the difference.

Earplugs that work. Review by Bill

These are a good deal and work well. Easy to insert and remove from ears. Can be used upwards of 10 times or more.

(Posted on 2/21/11)

Excellent value! Review by John L.

These are the earplugs that I use while riding my motorcycle. I get a lot of wind noise off of my helmet, and these take care of that while still leaving me able to hear things that I should here such as sirens, horns, etc. The earplugs are nice and soft, easily rolled, and take the shape of the ear canal once inserted. They're great and a great price.

(Posted on 10/4/10)

Link to HF site.

Keep Going!

Years ago I was a distributor of hearing protection, so I've tried many different types. My favorite was Bilsom ear down, which was bought by Leight and promptly discontinued. Oh well... Now, my favorite is Leight's Max. For those with smaller ear canals, they make MaxLite.

I recommend the use of hearing protection on a motorcycle at all times, even when listening to music or using communication devices. Wind noise is high enough on a motorcycle to put you in the hearing damage range. Then, you have to crank up anything else even higher to be intelligible above the wind noise - not good. These plugs lower everything into the safe range. You can then up the volume on music or communications and still be in the safe range. Active noise canceling ear buds are now available at prices under $100, which would also be OK for use with music without plugs.

For communications, what we need is for the companies that make the helmet speaker/mike setups to upgrade them to active noise canceling. It's the right technology for our application. I haven't seen any on the market yet, but I have seen prototype specs and pictures, so I know they are coming.