Anyone use a Tour Tank fuel cell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txvoyager

Reaction score
I can find lots of pics of installs of these tanks on other bikes, but no evidence on one on an FJR (and found none by searching here, although the name certainly is fairly generic words...). Sort of intrigued with this option, but would like to hear someone's experience. Would be looking to fab a mount on the pillion and likely use their canvas cover which would make it look like a bedroll. Seem to get good reviews from users...

https://tourtank.com/

No experience with this, but a couple of thoughts while you're waiting. First, I think it looks OK--and I think plenty of aux tanks look butt-ugly. The only one I think looks both good and seems really useful beyond the fuel-holding feature is the one Dean Tanji made, and those are way rare. This one doesn't have that great extra cargo tie-down capacity his does, but seems good and functional. For the mounting part, it simply sits on your back seat, right? (Obviously it's secured there--I just mean it is secured on top of the seat.)

If so, and you obviously won't have a passenger, here's a suggestion. I take long camping trips and have a fairly huge waterproof duffel I tie on the back seat with a couple Rok Straps. It holds big bulky camping gear and the straps could barely reach around it fully extended. I didn't much like having all that bulk and weight up so high behind me, so I looked for a used stock back seat here on the forum. Removed the cover and cut away most of the foam with a serrated knife--I re-shaped it into a deep saddle shape. It now holds my big duffel lower and gives it a cradle for extra security. Much less hassle buckling the straps around it too. I bet that would work on the barrel-shaped Tour Tank. Of course, the stock seat goes back on the rest of the time.

Post pics if you get the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
txvoyager,

I have a 4.2 gallon tour tank on my 06 FJR. It has worked flawlessly for 60K miles. It has a custom mounting bracket designed by forum member "mjac", who had it built, then sold it for I believe $60 to the previous owner of my bike. It places the tank rather high, so that no Givi can be used, but instead I have a small Pelican case that works well. Because it is placed perhaps a little higher than other mounts, the gravity feed works great, even in extreme 110+ degree weather.

I have used it in the Iron Butt Rally, as well as many other rallies, and am extremely pleased with it.

Although no experience with it, I've been interested in the Tour Tanks as well. With no pillion, it looks to be a good alternative for some spare fuel in a reasonably priced package. Replacing the stock rear seat with a easily removable plate / custom mount would be simple.

Post up pics if you end up with a tank.

--G

Are you 'sold' on the Tour Tank?

FjrForum member Joe2lmaker, I think, has one or two tanks left that he built..

I run a proto and have thrashed the f*&$ck out of it - and love it.

Lots of info here if you are interested in an alternative.

I have a 5 Gallon (actually 4.7) on mine for rallies. I made a simple solid mount that attaches to the frame of the GIVI trunk mount. Works great, but it takes the space of the rear seat. The tanks are well built and well priced, but DO NOT TRUST THE STATED CAPACITY. The tanks I have were the 8" diameter models. This setup allows me to open the Trunk without a problem, and does not get in my way at all. 20k miles of riding with this setup, no problems.

2833692680068701173S600x600Q85.jpg

I first had a ~3.5g version and upgraded.

You can see my setup here: Farkle album

I still have the 3.5g with mounts if someone is interested.

I use the 3 gal. version on my Madura, made my own mounts that let me remove/install it with six 5/16" socket head bolts and a quick disconnect for the fuel line. Mounted it over the pillion seat with just enough room under it for my duffel. It's worked well; doubled the bike's range, good deal for the price.

I have a 4.2 gallon tour tank on my 06 FJR. It has worked flawlessly for 60K miles. It has a custom mounting bracket designed by forum member "mjac", who had it built
I PM'd mjac and he can't find pics. Although your bike is a Gen II would you mind posting/sending a picture of your mount?

FjrForum member Joe2lmaker, I think, has one or two tanks left that he built.
I PM'd Joe and look forward to seeing his upcoming progress on a Gen I mount and tank. I am not "sold" on any particular style, although some are fairly ugly. I just want to find an option that works and can be mounted reasonably well.

I have a 5 Gallon (actually 4.7) on mine for rallies. I made a simple solid mount that attaches to the frame of the GIVI trunk mount.
Thank you for the link to the pics. I don;t have a Givi rack and probably won't switch out my OEM top case setup, but I like the way the tank looks. Thank you for the info about capacities!

To all, thanks for the info, and please keep it coming. My big question -- since it seems that the feedback on the Tour Tank products is generally favorable -- is how best to mount a fuel cell to a Gen I?

I know I've seen that tank somewhere. I'd swear I saw a picture of it here. Someone has one...
Were you thinking of Smitty's? (now GalaxyBlue's?) <Link>

My big question -- since it seems that the feedback on the Tour Tank products is generally favorable -- is how best to mount a fuel cell to a Gen I?
In my humble opinion, the best way to mount a pillion tank to a GenI would be with a set of these:

IMG_0885.JPG

(The Revision2 prototypes)

The material cost is extremely low, but there are several machine set-ups. They are fairly expensive to produce. On the other hand, I could probably still offer them for less than the Fuel Cell Mounting Kit that was offered by another forum member back in 2007. (Boy, does that ever bring back forum memories :huh: )

If you are looking to save a few bucks, how would you like to buy the Rev1 prototypes?

IMG_0725.JPG

They are extremely rigid and will pass any tech inspection. Adding a top plate to mount a Coyote Tour Tank would be relatively simple.