Anyone use this helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpagirl

Reaction score
Anyone else wear this helmet? The newer (07) model seems improved with ventilation that mine didn't come with. Despite the fact that it doesn't have the DOT and Snell approval, mine performed impressively when I took out bambi on the interstate doing 65 on my FZ1.

My insurance company (USAA) gave me full replacement, plus. Seemed pretty impressed with it.

I love the fact that the visor is separate from the chinbar.

Roof

Anyone else wear this helmet? The newer (07) model seems improved with ventilation that mine didn't come with. Despite the fact that it doesn't have the DOT and Snell approval, mine performed impressively when I took out bambi on the interstate doing 65 on my FZ1.
My insurance company (USAA) gave me full replacement, plus. Seemed pretty impressed with it.

Roof
Johnny Law can (and sometimes will) actually cite you for not wearing a DOT-stickered lid if you're in a state that requires lids, just be aware. That's evidently another favorite ticket in the nazi crackdown at Deal's Gap / Tail of the Dragon these days. Don't peel off those DOT stickers, kids!

Now, to avoid hijacking accusations, I'd say that if it's comfy and truly gives protection, then it should be viewed as one more tool in the toolbox we riders have to pick from. I probably won't own another flip-up lid. The constant up/down isn't worth the moderate convenience it has provided. I'll probably get an S1 in a few years when it's time to retire this C2.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one expensive helmet! I wonder why it isn't DOT approved. Maybe they just didn't go through the process yet. Kind of funky looking. Since the chin bar appears to fold down over the visor, can you open the visor with the chin bar down? Can you raise the visor at all?.

I am sitting here wondering why you'd want to wear a helmet that isn't DOT or SNELL certified in the first place.

From what I'd gleaned in my research...and someone more spooled up than I may balk at this, the European testing is done at higher speeds than DOT or Snell. Given the varied reasons for having a modular helmet was another consideration - easier to take a drink from squeeze bottle/camelback....you name it.....it sure was worth the cost...just ask the back of my head as I went sliding down the highway.

the visor's design gives better peripheral vision too

Visor can be worn up or down independant of the chin bar, chin bar can be worn in the back like an open faced helmet

I am sitting here wondering why you'd want to wear a helmet that isn't DOT or SNELL certified in the first place.
ROOF comes from the same home nation as Citroën. DOT is married to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an American organization. SNELL is strictly a voluntary test, not all helmet manufactures submit buckets for testing, some that do submit can't pass.

ROOF claims:

Roof design philosophy is to incorporate the latest in medical research regarding impact protection into all of their helmets. They use a unique four-part interior structure for the LeMans, and the shell is made from a special aerospace composite material that was developed by Claude Morin, the originator of the Roof helmet line, who first started working with composites back in the 1970's.

The Roof Diversion was also the first helmet to meet the tough ECE 22-05 standards, which are probably the strictest helmet safety standards in the world.

You can go to ROOF's web site here but if you don't parlez français you are s#it out of luck. Because the site is FLASH translators like Babelfish don't work.

Well, then this subject seems a little different to me then the original impression that I got. SG, sorry & good luck in the quest for your info. Having never heard of this helmet & having never seen anyone wearing one of these, I cannot help you.

You might want to ask at the UK (mainly) board. https://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/portal.php I know a lot of the folks there use these helmets. I rode with some using the m and they seemed to really like them. I noticed they didn't even wear ear plugs so they must be fairly quiet for a flip up. The visor thing is way cool and functional.

gypsy

EVERYONE should read this article by Motorcyclist Magazine. It is the most informative and complete description of the DOT / SNELL guidelines, how helmets are made, and who makes the "safest" helmets. As you will see the helmet debate is quite the battleground.

Helmet Article

Also, FYI the "Hurt Report" a study by Dr. Harry Hurt has some really interesting findings.

Hurt Report

Hope that helps. :)

ROOF comes from the same home nation as Citroën. DOT is married to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an American organization. SNELL is strictly a voluntary test, not all helmet manufactures submit buckets for testing, some that do submit can't pass.

The Roof Diversion was also the first helmet to meet the tough ECE 22-05 standards, which are probably the strictest helmet safety standards in the world.
Yep it can meet or exceed all the testing dished out and cost a months salary but, if it doesn't say DOT on the back, here in Michigan (and elsewhere) the leo's will most definitely make sure the Judge ruins yer lunch money budget for several months.

Nice lid though.

:jester:

Roof
The 1st Roof helmet I saw was being worn by Joos (Fjrowners.com site), and he thought highly of it.

Yep it can meet or exceed all the testing dished out and cost a months salary but, if it doesn't say DOT on the back, here in Michigan (and elsewhere) the leo's will most definitely make sure the Judge ruins yer lunch money budget for several months.

Nice lid though.

:jester:
Of course, you could just buy a DOT sticker and put it on it. Search Ebay for DOT helmet sticker.

FWIW, anyone here in CA been harassed about the DOT sticker? That was always the first thing I'd peel off of a helmet and in more pull-overs than I care to think about :blink: I've never even had it mentioned.

Rancho

One thing for sure, You will always have a roof over your head :yahoo: could not resist.

The helmet is different and i like the flip up. How noisey is it? I run a Nolan E102 it is quiet for me.

There are several european helments that they intentionally do NOT get DOT approved for the SOLE reason that the company no longer wishes to expose themselves to the liability culture prevalent in the US. Before I bought the Schuberth, I had looked at several other very innovative designs (mostly German) and was repeatedly bummed when the company came back and confirmed "no, we're not doing a DOT-certified part number version because we do not feel the liability exposure justifies the market participation, but thank you for your interest in our product."

I couldn't even beg a UK-based shop to turn a blind eye and ship one to a US address, understandably, for the same reason. Now that I live in San Diego and have a border nearby, I suppose I *could* try taking the risk of having it shipped to a Tiajuana address, but I haven't even begun to look into how expensive or risky it is to trust a business in Mexico (no offense to any nationals reading, I only have horror stories and stereotypes to work from). All I know is if I get pulled over every 15 miles for a "tip" while driving there with US plates, I can just IMAGINE how ugly it might be actually trying to receive something down there that was worth $$$.

Oh, and to answer Rancho's question, yes, actually, I had a San Diego local, oddly enough, ask to see it at a sobriety checkpoint along the beach (it's black on black and wasn't noticeable at first in the dark).

Thanks for your informative inputs.....I've been using this particular helmet since '04 and am extremely pleased with it. Mine's the "older" R05 that doesn't have the nice venting - actually, it has no venting at all. Next step will be the V.

The VA state trooper that was on the scene when I took out Bambi didn't say anything about it - he seemed more concerned with whether or not he was going to give me a ticket - he didn't. More or less because I answered him truthfully - when he asked me how fast I thought I was going - 60-65. My story matched the story of the Marine (on his way to work) who pulled my arse out of the highway. (later he told me there were 2 times I almost got ran over)

The rep from USAA didn't seem concerned with the lack of DOT or Snell stickers on the helmet - moreover, he was impressed with how it stood up to the 65 mph impact and subsequent 75 feet of asphalt it danced with. He seemed to be familiar with the European standards. He confiscated the helmet, I got a $645 check.

In my initial research of the helmet, (web bike world) there was discussion as to how well the chinbar would hold up and stay closed. It did it's job.

Well - the French are doing right in this arena! :clapping:

As for the noise - on long rides, I have my XM to keep me company. In the DC area, being able to hear more traffic sounds increases my situational awareness. I have crewed airplanes/worked on aircraft for the last 13 years and still have excellent hearing.

Sherpagirl: I have seen pictures of that helmet and its information on how well it would hold up. It was given a high rating.

I did not know the French made it, I thought it came from Ireland. As for the snell and dot rating they are equal snell= euro, dot= usa Nice helmet you have .

and I like the way it flips up.. :)