Anyone use this helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several european helments that they intentionally do NOT get DOT approved for the SOLE reason that the company no longer wishes to expose themselves to the liability culture prevalent in the US. Before I bought the Schuberth, I had looked at several other very innovative designs (mostly German) and was repeatedly bummed when the company came back and confirmed "no, we're not doing a DOT-certified part number version because we do not feel the liability exposure justifies the market participation, but thank you for your interest in our product."
Gee, that's so hard to believe. We're so rational and willing to take responsibility for our actions here in the good ol' USA..... :glare: I mean, yeah, it's McDonald's responsibility if you spill coffee in your lap and all that, but other than that..... :p

I couldn't even beg a UK-based shop to turn a blind eye and ship one to a US address, understandably, for the same reason. Now that I live in San Diego and have a border nearby, I suppose I *could* try taking the risk of having it shipped to a Tiajuana address, but I haven't even begun to look into how expensive or risky it is to trust a business in Mexico (no offense to any nationals reading, I only have horror stories and stereotypes to work from). All I know is if I get pulled over every 15 miles for a "tip" while driving there with US plates, I can just IMAGINE how ugly it might be actually trying to receive something down there that was worth $$$.
You are far braver than I am, my friend. I know they say it's not a third world toilet anymore, and my opinions were formed before I was 21 and could legally drink up here, but it seems to me that I never read of anything sane going on down there. A particularly amusing quote from the LA Times (cite: LA Times "A Crackdown on Baja Bribes)

TIJUANA — Baja California sees a lucrative future in the luxury residential towers sprouting up along its coast, and officials are hoping developments by the likes of Donald Trump will bring Southern California prosperity south of the border.

But there's a problem: The 5-mile highway from the border to the beaches is notorious for police who pull tourists' cars over in search of bribes.

Now Tijuana police say they're cleaning up the route and targeting corruption elsewhere in an effort to make the border area more inviting.

They're installing cameras to catch extortion attempts, publicizing that people can pay tickets with credit cards and transferring corrupt cops. They've deployed a squad of female traffic officers to offer courteous help to tourists. They've even declared the stretch of road a "no-ticket" highway.
I particularly loved how they're transferring corrupt cops. WTF?!?!?!? :rolleyes: They take their discipline cues from the Catholic church or what? "Shame on you. Off you go somewhere else where they don't know you. Yet." :unsure: But that kind of crap keeps me out of Mexico.

FWIW, our friends over at UKRM occasionally look for leftpondians to ship them stuff that isn't readily available locally. Presumably someone there might be willing to ship you one of these helmets if you asked nicely. Do get a feel for the flavor of that group before you go barging in, though. :D Hell, that's a cool enough helmet that I might do that.

Hey, can you get 'em in Canada? I've got friends up there. We've got Pesky Canadians on the Forum, don't we?

Oh, and to answer Rancho's question, yes, actually, I had a San Diego local, oddly enough, ask to see it at a sobriety checkpoint along the beach (it's black on black and wasn't noticeable at first in the dark).
Natch. I do so hate those damned things. Constitution be damned, we're stopping everyone.

:ph34r:

Rancho

Same article ran here in the San Diego paper. I laughed for the same reason, but mostly for the "oh, wait, don't leave us in the dust and pull your development project worth millions. Here, we'll put a bandaid on our deeper problem, see? Now this narrow strip/corridor is officially an exception to our otherwise condoned and rampant corruption. Isn't that better, boss?" :ermm: :glare: :derisive: :rolleyes:

boxer_red.jpg

boxer_silv.jpg

It's an interesting, bulbous looking helmet, but it doesn't look like it breathes too well. (no vents visible)

Last edited by a moderator:
<images snipped>
It's an interesting, bulbous looking helmet, but it doesn't look like it breathes too well. (no vents visible)
I've read that it actually breathes quite well.

And regarding getting one, if you search the UK Ebay site, there are plenty to be had (new). I picked out one guy and asked how much it would be to ship it to California USA and was told 45 Sterling.

When I decide to get a new lid, I may go that route.....

Rancho

I have not ever seen one of these in Canada. By the way Canada uses the same DOT or Schnell approval systems. If a helmet does not have one of these ratings it is illegal to use. The law here says that you must have a DOT or Snell sticker, along with a manufacturers ID sticker (Which the police can use to identify if the helmet is approved.

If the Police in Canada pull you over, or just come to talk to you at a local coffee house, and your helmet is not approved, they have the right to, and will sieze & destroy the helmet. (I have seen it done) As all the provinces here have helmet laws, you will then have to locate another helmet to get your bike home.

You see a lot of this here with the cruiser crowd using illegal hemets.

Just a little blurb on DOT ratings. For a manufacturer to get one, they have to pay to have the helmet tested (along with a snell rating). Europe has another ratings system that escapes me now. The probable reason that this helmet has not DOT rating is because the company may not want to enter the North American market because they are too small perhaps.

You would be very silly to spend this kind of coin on an unaproved helmet. Remember the approval stickers are to make sure you are getting the safest helmet for your money. The reason why a helmet is not approved is either because it failed testing (bad) or has never been tested (just as bad)