Appalachian Dialect:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spklbuk

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]Fer all y'all foolish nuff ta live somewheres else![/SIZE]

No reason to be ‘askeered’ of colorful Appalachian dialect

Point Blank column

By John A. Blankenship

Register-Herald reporter

You may recall a column we wrote a couple of months ago about the Appalachian dialect, or the colorful use of language among local mountaineers.

We received several e-mails, many from readers who wished to share some of their own experiences and memories on the subject; other e-mails contained items currently posted on the Internet.

Some of the rich sayings popular among our ancestors are still in use today.

A-mite means a little bit of something.

Arthur-itis is the painful aching of the joints.

Askeered is being frightened beyond words.

Battree is used to start your truck.

Someone who is getting too big for his britches is called “briggity,” as in “Now, ain’t he briggity!”

Then, of course, an epithet for an egotistical person in the hollow was “briggity britches.”

The milk is blinked or “blinky” when it’s spoiled. A witch sometimes would “blink” her eyes at your cow and the milk would turn sour.

And while Bondo is actually a brand name, it has become a generic name for all fiberglass and putty based body filler. If a vehicle is full of bondo, it probably has been wrecked a few times.

If a person was educated, then he was considered “book red.”

People were “borned” back in the day.

You often referred to your brethren at the church as your “brother’n.”

Your buddy would bite off a “chaw” of tobacco, or it might take several sticks of gum to make a “good chaw.”

“Chill bumps” is what you got at the movie theater or when someone left the door open.

When company came to your house, you offered them a “cheer” to sit in. “Clever folks” were of the hospitable nature.

If you developed stiffness in the back, or a “crick” in your neck, you probably went to see the “choirpractor.”

When you got “thursty” in hot weather, you might purchase yourself a “Co-cola” or “Co-co cola,” even if it was some other brand of soft drink.

If you got sick, you might have a “colt” in the head.

Kids belonging to your parents’ sisters or brothers were your “cuzints.”

If a person was no longer among the living, then he was, of course, “daid.”

You placed flowers on his grave on “Decoration Day.”

If you buy a lottery ticket on Saturday or Wednesday, you wait up for the “draw-ling,” a word still used frequently by the WV lottery announcer.

West Virginia begins with a capital “dub-ya.”

Sick folks are “eat up,” meaning completely infected, and some cars are “eat up” with rust. In the past tense, they were “ate up.”

You let your friends borrow money if you had any “extry.”

Occasionally, there was a “far” in the “farhouse.”

You were on “fast time” during Daylight Savings Time or making “fast time” when you courted a local girl successfully.

You wouldn’t leave your house if there were snow “floories” or it was “spitten” snow.

You might even become “flusterated” because you couldn’t get over to see your “grandchurn” who lived in another town.

You headed to the “tall timbers” when it came a “gully washer,” because you knew the water would probably get up over your “haid.”

The word “haint” had two meanings: one referred to a ghost (from haunt) and the other meaning “I haint gonna doit, neither!”

“His people” and “her people” meant relatives were coming in.

When you found a job, you wrote home to tell “your people” that you’d been “hard.”

If you didn’t find work soon, you could get pretty “het up” (heated up, flusterated, or upset).

If you called your dog, you said, “Dawg, I sed come heya.” (This is not to be confused with the proper usage of folks from High Point, NC: “Oh, do tell thaaat purty li’l puppy to commme heeaaah!)

Well, I live a few miles from the last official mountain of the Appalachians: Double Oak Mt. So I guess I qualify as a mountaineer causan I knewed all dat!

You recon thet ya dint get dat frum a Indiana rag? Sounds pretty fuhmiliar. As oppose-ed to a mite bit pe-Q-lee-ar.

A few more fer the uninitiated:

-You checked books out from your local liberry.

-From "these parts" refers to the neighborhood

-If you picked a "mess" of beans, you had enough for a meal.

-Stay a "spell" means to loiter awhile.

-People still refer to a stocking cap as a "toboggan".

-"Yonder" is a good Irish word still in use to designate over there.

-A mite means a little bit of something.

-"His people" and "her people" meant relatives were coming in.

-You were on "fast time" during daylight savings time.

-"Smack dab" meant right in the middle or right on target.

Buggy: shopping cart. Get me that buggy, and make sure it don't have no broken wheel.

Poke: pouch. Get me a poke of Red Man [tobacco].

Chaw: chewing tobacco. Chaw comes three ways: in a poke, a twist, or a plug.

Plug: a quid of tobacco. That boy done slobbered all on my plug.

Blinds: window shades. Open them blinds and let some sunshine in!

Skillet: a frying pan. They's patty sausage in the skillet.

Coke (Coh-cola): Applied to all flavored, carbonated sodas, regardless of brand or type. I'm goin' to get a coke.

Soda: bicarbonate of soda. I mixed me some soda for my indigestion.

Reckon: think, guess, suppose. I reckon you don't like soup beans. This is an actual English word that is used only in Appalachia and Britain.

Polecat: a skunk. Don't bother that there polecat or he'll spray you.

Touched: (pronounced with a short "e" sound) crazy. That boy's touched. Don't pay him no mind.

Plum or plumb: an intensifier for verbs. Son, you're plum crazy.; a directional adverb meaning "all the way." That dog run plum under the house.

Hussy: (pronounced with a [z]) a mean or spiteful woman; a promiscuous woman.

Pokestock: a single shot shotgun. I'll sell you an old pokestock for forty bucks.

Kyarn: Roadkill "That smells like kyarn."

Cornpone: A batch of cornbread

Fit: Used in place of the word "Fought"

Pop: Used in place of Cola, Soda, or Coke- a Carbonated beverage of any brand. Use of pop versus cola depends on area.

Yonder: a directional adverb further away than "here" or "there," preceded by the preposition "over." He's over yonder. It can also be used as an adjective after a noun phrase containing a demonstrative. Get me that rake yonder.

Mess: The amount of a particular food that is needed to be cooked in order to serve everyone present. Mary, go fetch me a mess of them green beans.

Fixin: A serving or helping of food or preparing to do something. Can I get a fixin of dumplings?, "I'm fixin to do somethin'."

Clean: Similar to 'plum' [above], verb modifier that is used to mean entirely completing an action. Can be used in place of 'all the way.' He knocked it clean off'n the table - He knocked it all the way off'n the table.

Ain't hed nuff?:

Hart's Creek Dialect

Let's Talk Hillbilly

The Dialect of the Appalachian People

Appalachian Dialect

One thang was messed up in that thar dikshunery uh yers:

kids belonging to yer folks brothers er sisters is called "few-cher matrimonial material".

jes thot Ida fix thet fer ya before ye git too briggity.

You left out "U-uns, we-uns, and us-uns"
If you get fooled, you were "hoodued"
:buba: Yup, yer right them's gooduns.

One thang was messed up in that thar dikshunery uh yers:
kids belonging to yer folks brothers er sisters is called "few-cher matrimonial material".

jes thot Ida fix thet fer ya before ye git too briggity.
:jealoussmiley: Aw, yer jus jealous! :p

The only kind of tea is the sweet kind.
Sweet and COLD, thank you! :D

U-uns... aint that from Indiana?
Couldn't be, hoosiers ain't that creative. :assassin:

Aint... That from VA?
Could be, Virginians get creative once in a blue moon. :p

QUOTE(FJRFencer @ Feb 19 2007, 05:40 PM) But I don't see:

Catiwampus orn Discombobulated listed.

Hey that can't be appallachian...that's normal english...isn't it?
Maybe we should ask that bunch over on the group buy thread! :fire:

Seem's yinz done fergot two important ones....

"reTARD" over 65 and done wurkin'

"UP err" up there.

Good one Nightshine, as I think about it, the saying was handed to me by a family member who was attending the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.