Apparent differences in bikes/06 ride evaluation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Reaction score
I just got back from a final days of Summer trip down through the BRP and back up through Tennessee ride on my new 06 FJR. Some may remember me asking opinions of those who had previous model FJR's and are now riding an 06. I had an 04 and now have roughly 2200 miles on the 06.

My thoughts are as such. As my topic title implies, based on different things I have read, there must be some real differences in individual bikes. I have read things like "the 06 FJR needs a new map", to the extent that one owner felt that there should be some sort of recall. I've gotta tell you, that when it comes to throttle jerkiness and surging and the like, I have no idea what you are talking about. This bike is smooth. Now I did do the Barbarian Jumper mod, hoping to improve on an already good situation. It did. It is now VERY smooth. It was smooth in the gentle twists and turns of the Blue Ridge Parkway and although I didn't do the Dragon, I DID ride it on RT. 219 in W.VA. Those who know that road know what I am talking about. There are sections of RT. 219 that will eat you alive, if you're not careful. I took the 06 FJR through the most challenging sections of RT.219 during a moderately heavy rain, with gravel and oil through some of the corners and it handled smoothly and predictably through it all. I thought the conditions sucked. The bike didn't seem to care. It just said "tell me what you want me to do", and it did it. Superbly.

The 06 FJR, in my opinion feels much more planted and tracks much better through the corners. I'm not an engineer, so I won't profess to know specifically what was done to the suspension to change it, but what ever it was, it flat out works.

In terms of lighting, the 06 FJR really lights up the roadway. I have no extra lighting on the bike, but when traveling through heavy deer country on Interstate 79 in PA at night, the FJR lit up a wide birth of roadway in front of me. So much in fact, that it almost seemed as if a car was traveling close behind me. But it was just me, all alone.

I forgot one thing. The new linked brakes. In my opinion, they are terrific and confidence inspiring, to say the least.

The only complaints that I can make are the stock seat and the stock windshield. The stock windshield could offer a little better protection (although I considered it no big deal) and the stock seat can make you squirm a bit after a few hundred miles. Some folks have complained about the tension of the throttle spring, but here too, I have personally found no issue with it as is. For me, it is fine. Shifting was also excellent and without incident.

The 06 FJR ran smoothly and flawlessly. It was an absolute pleasure to be on. Perfect? Nothing is.....but it was pretty darn close. The average milage per gallon was excellent. Indicated reading was 51.3 upon trip completion. My 04 was also great in this regard, ususally around 47 to 50 mpg.

So based on the complaints that I have read and what I have personally experienced, there MUST be some real differences in bikes. No jerkiness or surging here. Smooth as a baby's butt.

The only other modifications I have made to the bike other than the Barbarian Jumper was BMW grips, heavy bar end weights (which I had on my 04)(I primarily think that they just look cool) and RG sliders.

There must have been some real differences in the 04 model, too, come to think of it. I remember reading one 04 owner referring to HIS 04 FJR as a "fire dragon". I thought to myself at the time that he must be insane. I never had any SERIOUS heat complaints on my 04. But....giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe HIS, WAS hot. Apparently enough people complained about it that Yamaha felt it needed to be changed. People would ask me about it and I would say "no problemo". One thing is for sure, it ain't hot now!

For the record, my stock CO settings were: 5,18,18,21. All were changed to +7 on these numbers.

Just thought that I would share my thoughts and experiences for any prospective new FJR owners out there.

P.S.: An FJR rider (05 or 06) gave me a beep on RT. 441 in the Smokey Mountains late Thursday afternoon (9/21). Anyone here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 06 that I rode down to EOM with from NY and I put about 2300 miles on it in a week. I completely agree with you that some of the complaints that other owners have had I have not experienced. I haven't found the throttle spring to be an issue so I haven't changed it. The bike does surge but with the barbarian jumper I found that it flattened it out quite a bit. I'm sure that doing the Fred mod would help but I don't have an interest in messing with something that I feel would cause me problems in the future. Others have complained of "buzzing" in the bars and vibrating mirrors at certain rpm but I haven't experienced that either. I did change the stock seat to a Bill Mayer and was initially not enamored with it but do like it now. I am 6' tall with a 32" inseam and the stock windshield does buffet me somewhat but it does also protect pretty well in the pouring rain for hundreds of miles (ask me how I know). I don't really feel any burning desire to change it. I also thought the lighting was excellent on the bike until I added a set of Hella FF-50s on the high beam side...now when I drop to low beam it feels like I'm using a flashlight. Overall, the bike is what I expected it to be, a great ride. The only real complaint that I have is with Yamaha's dealer network, at least in this part of the world. It flat out sucks. The surging thing does still annoy me but it is something that I have learned to live with and the 17 mpg display needs changing but......"no bike is perfect".

I have had two "problems" with my '06. One was the 17mpg instant mpg issue. The dealer had that corrected with a new console in no time. The second was the seat which is being redone by Russell Motorcycle Products now. I have tried to find issues with the throttle and smoothness others have reported. As of yet I cannot. This bike is smooth, the throttle stiffness is not an issue for me. As far as handling....wow.

The whole time I owned other bikes I was always looking for something I would like better. I am satisfied with my FJR. For me, it's perfect. :yahoo:

I agree with you there is nothing wrong with a perfectly good bike.

I think it is riders imangination just wanting something to complain about.

:D weekend rider :clapping:

Glad to see comments of a positive nature. To read some of the posts it would seem like the 06 is a piece of sh**. I too have not experienced the problems of the mirrors, throttle etc. I also have my seat at russell getting it redone so I can do the kind of miles this bike is worthy of. Ride safe. The weather is with us now. Everett

:good: I will join the chorus of positive impressions on the '06.

Enjoyed my '05 and am pleased as plum with my '06.

Smooth, planted, confidence inspiring, predictable, dependable, no drive train lash, no transmission clunkiness, smooth, what vibration problem?, mirrors provide a clear unobstructed view to the rear, great wind protection, no heat problem, no back pressure behind windscreen, great ergos, great road illumination by headlights, linked ABS works like a charm, seat is more comfortable than the '05.

The only thing I notice is the seat adjustment wasn't enough to get me flat footed, but that sure isn't the fault of the bike, I'm just short, and maybe the throttle has a tad more resistance, but with a throttlemeister, that is not an issue on long days in the saddle.

Got a Corbin seat that I need to break in that got me closer to the ground and have Corbin Smuggler that is gangbusters. :rolleyes:

Smooth, planted, confidence inspiring, predictable, dependable, no drive train lash, no transmission clunkiness, smooth, what vibration problem?, mirrors provide a clear unobstructed view to the rear, great wind protection, no heat problem, no back pressure behind windscreen, great ergos, great road illumination by headlights, linked ABS works like a charm, seat is more comfortable than the '05.

The only thing I notice is the seat adjustment wasn't enough to get me flat footed, but that sure isn't the fault of the bike, I'm just short, and maybe the throttle has a tad more resistance, but with a throttlemeister, that is not an issue on long days in the saddle.

Got a Corbin seat that I need to break in that got me closer to the ground and have Corbin Smuggler that is gangbusters. :rolleyes:

How much closer to the ground did the Corbin seat get you?

Beal

Beal
Went from tippy toes to more ball of the foot...maybe an inch? Had Corbin lower seat just a little and narrow the seat towards the front to help out.

You might consider wearing a pair of cowboy boots with a 1-inch heel. Works for me. Georgia Boots with a rubber, oil-resistant sole and heel.

Beal
Went from tippy toes to more ball of the foot...maybe an inch? Had Corbin lower seat just a little and narrow the seat towards the front to help out.

+1 on hearing some positive things on the '06. :clapping:

I have just over 2K on mine now, and while I am getting into the Farkles as much as my budget will allow, it is more about making the bike "Mine" than making it better.

First thing I noticed is that the bike is STABLE. Coming from a '98 V-Max, I just can't believe how stable the FJR is, even at 140 MPH. :p The brakes are AWSOME! I love finally having a bike with a full set of gauges, verses a gas light. I had to have the gauges replaced for the 17 MPG problem, but no big deal. (Especially since next to the Yamaha dealer is the Chicago land Lamborghini dealer, so I could go drool for awhile).

I just received a Corbin seat, and while the finish on the seat is less than perfect, it feels good. I will see after I get a chance to put a few hundred miles on it this Tuesday.

For me, new grips were a must. The stock one's were just too small, and I like a grip with a swell in the middle. Throttle seems OK to me, but I will look into the Barbarian mod.

My goal used to be to put a minimum of 2K miles on PER YEAR on my V-Max. I have put more than 2K miles on my FJR in the past 3.5 weeks. That says it all for me.

I agree with you there is nothing wrong with a perfectly good bike. I think it is riders imangination just wanting something to complain about.

:D weekend rider :clapping:
Agreed - except the seat. With the new corbin I don't even think about my ass any more.

First, I LOVE my 06A. I will never get another bike as it is as near perfect as I can imagine. I did get a Corbin seat which is a bit better than stock. I do have a problem with the throttle. Low speeds, particuarly when trying to roll it on in a curve, sudden "jerks" which are very unpleasant. I must admit, I am adjusting to this somewhat. However, I now have a new power commander that will get installed next week. I'll see whether it smooths this out and let you all know.

+1 more on the the positive of the 06 FJR. I have no issue with the windshield at 5'10. I have no problem with the throttle, no surging or the like. I do have 2 issues. One is the right mirror, it vibrates at about 40 mph and higher and the seat. I have ordered a Corbin as that is what I had on my last bike and I loved it. So, in all I now only have one issue, a mirror which I can live with. Great bike!

Interesting! My Right side mirror vibrates at higher speeds as well. The Left is rock steady. If you ever figure it out, PLEASE let me know. I had the dealer look at it, when they changed out the instruments, and everything seems tight.

I also have no issues with the throttle, and only a bit of right mirror vibration at specific speeds.(I can still see what is behind me, just not perfectly clear)

The only problems I had with the bike have been fixed. The windshield was replaced with the Cee Baily +4/+4, this was mostly a move to get rid of the helmet buffeting of my passenger. The pilots seat was replaced with the Corbin, as the edge of the stocker was wearing a hole in my butt on any ride over 30 miles.

I did the handlebar mod , to help change the angle of the bars. This helped alot, but further work may be done.

Most of this stuff is ergonomic changes. This is usualy a given on any bike one gets, as they can't really make a "universal fit" as everyone is a diffrent size, and has diffrent tastes in how they like their bike set up.

Bitching about this stuff is idiotic. Makers expect owners to spend alot of $$$ on aftermarket do-dads and aftermarket companies depend on this. I have never owned a bike I did not 'fine tune' to my taste by changing bars, seats, pegs and grips. We all like to add our own farkles to make our bikes a bit more unique.

Given the wonderful power, brakes, handling, and style the FJR has, it is perhaps one of the best bikes in the world to be the starting platform on ones own "Perfect Bike"...

KM

I have had my 06 for 2950 miles. I find the throttle tension a non-issue. I am 6'2, 230 and the stock windsheild does not take me totally out of the wind, hitting me in the top of the head, but again, a non-issue. Do I really want to be totally out of the wide? Most times I'm not on the freeway I have it about 1/2 the way up for a neutral balance. Vibration? What vibration? Risers? not for me. Perhaps due to my long arms, this makes it easier for me to sit upright? Heat? even the 05 I used to ride (my buddies) never really bothered me, and I am in Southern California where it gets smoking hot. You want to feel heat? try riding a 2004-2007 R1 with underseat exhaust. It will cook your butt so fast you'll think your sitting on a saucepan. Lastly, the stock seat gets me sore after a while to where I have to stand up (at a safe speed) to get the blood flowing in my ass. The seat is my only complaint, and I will likely make this change when I can afford it. I love this bike!

The only other modifications I have made to the bike other than the Barbarian Jumper was BMW grips, heavy bar end weights (which I had on my 04)(I primarily think that they just look cool) and RG sliders.
If the bike is perfect why the barbarian jumper mod and bmw grips?

The jerkiness of the throttle is not apparent below 3500 rpm and is only apparent when you are turning on the throttle from idle. This would become more apparent with stop and go traffic or going very slow in twisties. In California, we have the....pleasure...of splitting lanes during gridlock trAffic. This is when I experieneced this problem at its full. There's nothing like a bike surging forward while splitting 1" clearances to give you a nice warm fuzzy.

That doesn't mean the FJR is not a great bike. But it has some real problems.

my two bit