Are 2005 rear calipers same as 2008?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJDMOON

Reaction score
After my rear brake stuck and I put all new parts except the caliper,I noticed the contact part of the caliper to the inside brake pad is not good as the caliper was damaged more then I thought I am only getting about half of the brake pad making contact on the inside (left side) of the rotor. The outside pad works fine. There is a 2005 caliper available. Will the inside part from 2005 caliper slide into my 2008 caliper?

I assume you're talking about the piston? The round part that moves in & out? They're the same middle part numbers (W0057) for both years, so I'd assume so. (and only $14 at Ron Ayers) The caliper is the same (2580W) as well, I think.

So is it scored and scratched, or just tilted? If it's tilted, the seals are bad and you need to replace those. Heck, the seals probably need to be replaced anyway every time you mess with the pistons. They're only $5 for the set.

I have pictures in an old post rear paed( forgive my spelling) disintegrated. It is the inside half of the caliper that the piston goes in. Thank you for the reply. It sounds like the calipers are the same

I remember you! You had the chewed up rear brakes, looked like they'd run with no pads.

But I don't know what you mean about the inside half and the outside half. The caliper is a single piece, not a piece holding each pad.

Reading your post again, I think you've used the word "inside" two different ways. First the inside pad vs the outside pad, then talking about the caliper inside the radius arm that it slides in. If so, then your question is will the 2005 caliper slide into your 2008 radius arm. I believe the answer is "affirmative." Part numbers are different, but just the model year identifier. I don't think the actual parts have changed on the rear brake during the entire FJR run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember you! You had the chewed up rear brakes, looked like they'd run with no pads.

But I don't know what you mean about the inside half and the outside half. The caliper is a single piece, not a piece holding each pad.

Reading your post again, I think you've used the word "inside" two different ways. First the inside pad vs the outside pad, then talking about the caliper inside the radius arm that it slides in. If so, then your question is will the 2005 caliper slide into your 2008 radius arm. I believe the answer is "affirmative." Part numbers are different, but just the model year identifier. I don't think the actual parts have changed on the rear brake during the entire FJR run.

Thank You very much!

For anybody interested the rear brake caliper on a 2005 is not exactly the same as a 2008. The bleeder is on the top of a 2005 instead of on the side as on the 2008 and the bolt that attaches the brake line has a larger head on the 2005 and instead of the fluid going through the hole in the bolt as on the 2008 the 2005 passes the fluid through a shorter bolt.Even though the bolts have the same thread diameter they are not interchangeable as thee 2008 is too long to fit into the 2005. I plan to use the 2005 anyway as I am into this 2005 caliper about $50.00 my alternatives are much higher at this point.I will attempt to install it tonight and hopefully it will work.

Test the pedal before you ride, for sure. If the fitting squirts under pressure, don't use it.

I'm wondering if you would have to go to a 2005 hose and bolt to use the caliper, and then does the front of the hose fit the 2008 system?

Last edited by a moderator: