Are all 2006 FJRs 50 state legal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey Mushman

Reaction score
I have a 2006 FJR1300 that I believe originally came from Florida. I bought it down there years ago and brought it up to NY. I'm giving very strong consideration to moving to California. I know that I have to sell a few of my vehicles because there is no way they will pass the smog tests over there. Can I bring the FJR or do I need to sell it and buy another one there?

Thanks, Harvey.

The 2006 is not 50 state legal. I have the California version (see FAQ). There is no smog test for motorcycles here. The 50 state thing only applies to lower mileage vehicles. Can check the CA DMV site for bringing in an out of state vehicle. If it is more than 7500 miles, you are good.

You should be fine. The only difference between 49 state models and CA models is the charcoal canister. Lots of CA riders remove thoe anyway. As long as you have more than 7500 miles, like RX said above, you're good.

Unless you need this as an excuse to justify a new bike to the SO. If that's the case, then, a 2006 FJR is like the second dirtiest bike ever built. You will have to sell it and buy a 2014 FJR, which is the first year Yamaha fixed these filthy engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. The bike has 42K miles on it currently. (10K this March on my NY>Baja>NY trip). No room in the budget for a '14. The move is going to cost me dearly.

Creston, Kali!

Welcome Harvey!

then again, maybe not..
flirt.gif

I'm looking at the coast area from Bodega bay to Shelter Cove. That area calls to me every time I've been to California. 51 years of upstate NY winters have worn on me. Begged the wife to move there over 20 years ago. Now I will likely go there myself. Looking forward to riding and enjoying the outdoors all year long.

I have a 2006 FJR1300 that I believe originally came from Florida. I bought it down there years ago and brought it up to NY. I'm giving very strong consideration to moving to California. I know that I have to sell a few of my vehicles because there is no way they will pass the smog tests over there. Can I bring the FJR or do I need to sell it and buy another one there?Thanks, Harvey.
If you have a vehicle registered to you before you bring it into California you are good regardless of mileage. The 7500 mile rule only applies to California residents who purchase a vehicle out of state. The smog you have to pass is only the emissions originally on the vehicle. Of course none of this applies to motorcycles because there is no smog check for them.

If you have a vehicle registered to you before you bring it into California you are good regardless of mileage. The 7500 mile rule only applies to California residents who purchase a vehicle out of state. The smog you have to pass is only the emissions originally on the vehicle. Of course none of this applies to motorcycles because there is no smog check for them.
I apologize for the side track, but now you have me wondering if I could actually bring my summer car too. Any thoughts about a 2004 Vette with a highly modified engine and supercharger?

The 2004 Vette would have to pass visual and tailpipe emissions tests for its manufacture date and model. That also means all emissions equipment and stickers must be on the vehicle and functional. So unfortunately, this vehicle would need to be returned to stock condition in terms of pollution control equipment in order to be registered in CA.

A supercharger can pass CA smog it if is original equipment and has the manufacturer tag on it. Also, it is not uncommon for people to remove non-compliant equipment for the smog certification and then put it back on. Inspections are biannual, so it's not a yearly thing. As mentioned above, motorcycles are exempt from smog testing, so that is easy.

Harvey, put your sister's, brother's, cousin's, parents' name on the Vette's title and register it in their state. Hell, you could.probably use that even if that person is deceased as you don't need their signature to add them as an "or" to the title.

Legal? On the line. Morally correct? No, but do you really care? If I had to do it to keep one of my vehicles that's close to my heart, I wouldn't think twice about it.

As much as I'd like to do that, current inspections in NY require an annual inspection that includes plugging the OBDII port into a computer that links it to the state. (They do this so police plate readers can tell if your inspection is current.) If you skip the inspection they pull your registration. The sad fact is I have to sell that toy. The good side is I'll be able to ride 12 months a year.

Thanks for the replies. The bike has 42K miles on it currently. (10K this March on my NY>Baja>NY trip). No room in the budget for a '14. The move is going to cost me dearly.
You think the move is going to cost allot, wait till you live there. holy crap!
uhoh.gif

Beer and wine is cheaper in CA. In fact its surprising that nearly everything from groceries to clothing are a pretty good deal. When it comes time to buy gasoline, pay the power bill or buy a house, you're screwed. I strongly recommend renting and waiting for real estate to tank if you plan to buy. It always does.

Something else about buying vehicles in CA. Almost everywhere I have ever lived, you paid sales tax on the net purchase after your trade. In CA you pay tax on the full sale, and whoever buys your trade, gets to pay the tax on that too. Registration is not expensive, but you pay property tax on vehicles, so high dollar cars and trucks cost a lot to get registered every year. There are good and bad things about anywhere you want to live, but on balance, CA gives you a lot back to sooth the soul. Enjoy it, and try not to stress the little things. Most of all, don't sit in a traffic jam ever...split lanes and go where you need to be. That makes it real easy to feel good.