Are Bike Sales That Bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
Lost my Triumph dealer in Waco last year and now my Yamaha dealer has gone out of business.
no2.gif

I haven't seen any shops closing up around here, but the parking lots are not full either.

The local Yammy and Honda dealers were owned by the same guy, and they have simply combined facilities, closing the Honda place and moving in with the Yammies. Then they bought the Suzie place and took those in, too. Kwak still has their own shop. So the place is Yamaha, Star, Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, and Can-Am. They had to put bigger poles up to add all the signs.

No Harley dealer here, but they're building one, scheduled to open this fall.

I've heard since lending tightened up, the sale of liter bikes to freshly licensed riders in their 20's for full sticker has become a rarity. And as many here have proven, it takes many miles and big improvements on new models to get touring bikes to trade hands.

Yes bike sales are that bad and the internet is hard on their clothing etc. sales. I try to support my local Honda,KTM,Suzuke shop when I can for tire mounting and items as I wouldn't want them to go under. Nearest real bike shop would be 45 minutes away with out them. They will get a chunk of my wallet this spring when my Katoom needs a valve adjust.

I was told by a former dealer that now days it's the service side that keeps bike shops in business

Spend a few bucks at your local shop when you can.

Supposedly it is getting better, albeit very slowly. Inventories are lower now due to a bit stronger sales, and the fact that most manufacturers have not been shipping as many units, and in some cases have not sent any (for example ST1300 was not offered last year or the year before can't recall which).

The best sales figures are for less expensive bikes that offer good value. Hard to argue with NC700X or WeeStrom Around $7K and over 60 MPG.

Time to switch to harley.

The local Yammy and Honda dealers were owned by the same guy, and they have simply combined facilities, closing the Honda place and moving in with the Yammies. Then they bought the Suzie place and took those in, too. Kwak still has their own shop. So the place is Yamaha, Star, Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, and Can-Am. They had to put bigger poles up to add all the signs.
The only single-point dealership I can think of in my area is the Harley folks. And some of their properties are pretty impressive. I admit I'm kinda tempted to stop in just to see if I can figure out what their secret is.

The business of selling motorcycles for a living is a tough road to travel, especially since 2007.

No matter where you are if you're not selling 20 to 30 bikes a month it can look pretty grim in a hurry, especially if you usually sell up to 100. But if you have a strong service dept and the parts people are on the ball you can probably keep the doors open till things turn around. Low sales and no solid service traffic spells doom. IMHO

Time to switch to harley.

The only single-point dealership I can think of in my area is the Harley folks. And some of their properties are pretty impressive. I admit I'm kinda tempted to stop in just to see if I can figure out what their secret is.
It is really not a secret. When you have a lot of loyal riders who are well moneyed, typically 45+ all looking for their better days, freedom of the road along, their own clothing brand, unique styling where the goal is to attract attention via the brand and style you have the formula for success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harley is hurting and continues to...bad economy, folks who have bad credit who never did before, reposes

HD's majority profits are financing...the largest Nawlins' HD dealership constantly has 200+ used bikes spread all over the property outside.

I dunno how many new bikes are for sale on the inside, but it must be 100.

So the economy has destroyed a percentage of discretionary funds...destroyed a percentage of credit ratings and ability to finance...and then there's the skyrocketing cost of insurance

no fun with any of that

I was blown away this last summer during our trip across the western US. It seemed as if little piss-ant town had its own Harley dealership, but finding anybody selling Japanese or European street bikes was essentially impossible - there were your occasional dirt biking center full of Japanese brands, but whatever it is that connects Harley with the people living in little towns across the west its obviously working - they must have 90+% share out there!

I was blown away this last summer during our trip across the western US. It seemed as if little piss-ant town had its own Harley dealership, but finding anybody selling Japanese or European street bikes was essentially impossible - there were your occasional dirt biking center full of Japanese brands, but whatever it is that connects Harley with the people living in little towns across the west its obviously working - they must have 90+% share out there!
Yeah I hear ya. I was in Wyoming last year. Tis the land of antelope, 2001 era Buick Regals and Harley dealers.

My local dealer is a family business that has been around for two generations and they own the shop and property so overhead is low. They are a Yamaha / Suzuki shop and the motocross / ATV communities keep them busy in the shop. ATV & snowmobile sales have been steady but bike sales are definitely slow.

I was told by a former dealer that now days it's the service side that keeps bike shops in businessSpend a few bucks at your local shop when you can.
I've been doing my part, Doug. And a couple of other guys' too.
uhoh.gif

But most forum folks' favorite Yama dealer around here--Roseville Yamaha--is now Roseville Yamaha Kawasaki. I don't know, maybe that's a good thing. Sure better than going under, at least. But if it ever becomes Roseville Yamaha Kawasaki Harley . . .

Both Hardley dealers in the area are suffering.... Multi line Japanese dealerships have all closed.

However for those interested Polaris is spending huge money preparing for the future... The multi re- introduced Indian Line looks like a winner and they are branching out in several different directions.

Investment guru buddy say's this is a must buy stock. And he don't know shit aboot scoots.