Are FJR's as top heavy as the old Concours?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode my Connie with the FJR group and it held its own...thank you very much!

If I could, I'd keep a C-10 in the garage "just because". But for now, the 3 I have will do just fine!

I've lost a few FJR's with the old C10, and I did keep it. One will go someday.

I have had both. The FJR is a completely different animal. It handles better is seems much lighter. It does not fall into the turns like the connie.
What drjfjr said! I've owned both and the FJR doesn't seem any where near as top heavy as my old Connie did. I never really liked that bike for twisty roads, but my FJR! What a ride!!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I've nothing new to add really, but a post is a post... I've owned 3 of them Concs, loved them all but you know you've got a heavy girl when you're slow dancing with her. I'd probably still be riding one if Yamaha hadn't sent us this sweet and sexy upgrade. I do miss the better side case capacity and longer range between fuel stops but thats about it. The FJR's superior handling and motor make up for its appetite for gasoline and tires.

<snip>It handles better is seems much lighter. It does not fall into the turns like the connie.
<snip>the FJR doesn't seem any where near as top heavy as my old Connie did. I never really liked that bike for twisty roads, but my FJR! What a ride!!
Question: Are FJR's as top heavy as the old Concours?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you guys -- but, are you making the connection between feeling top-heavy and handling?

I'm not so sure there's justifiable linkage there? Handling is a function of many design attributes (positive or negative -- as the case may be); it's that I just don't know if feeling top-heavy is a bad thing (handling-wise); once riding?

This tends to sound like the old: "Lower Center of Gravity" predisposition -- kind'a hard to "prove".

:unsure: :unsure:

Former 01 C10 Concours, 05 FJR and current 08 C14 owner.

The original C10 Concours was a tank at walking speeds. There is a whole section of Connie Droppers Anonymous (CDA's) over at www.concours.org. Above 10-15 MPH the top heaviness went away.

The original C10 Concours was a tank at walking speeds. There is a whole section of Connie Droppers Anonymous (CDA's) over at www.concours.org. Above 10-15 MPH the top heaviness went away.
I hold CDA #20A,B, and C. :D

I've nothing new to add really, but a post is a post... I've owned 3 of them Concs, loved them all but you know you've got a heavy girl when you're slow dancing with her. I'd probably still be riding one if Yamaha hadn't sent us this sweet and sexy upgrade. I do miss the better side case capacity and longer range between fuel stops but thats about it. The FJR's superior handling and motor make up for its appetite for gasoline and tires.
I also miss 6th gear though I finally stopped reaching for it.

I really loved my Connie. But there is really no comparison between it and the FJR. Completely different animals from different eons. It's like comparing Neanderthal to Homo Sapiens. It's not really an upgrade. It's a different species.

Anyone had both? I had a Connie for a short time, and hated it. Really awkward feeling at low speeds! Hell, my 03 Voyager felt lighter!!
Is the FJR anywhere near as bad?

Thanks

Don
<_< Hmmm...Connies top heavy? At slow speeds, yes...even more so than either of my Ventures....but on the track and in the twisties the Connie never knew the difference :yahoo:

Curt

connie.jpg