Are Gen II side cases smaller than Gen I?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are reported to be the same (according the Highlander who has had both iterations), the only difference are the colors. The reason the GenII bikes are narrower is the difference in the tail piece.

Interior numbers are the same. As MM2 says, color is the only difference overall. In ordering replacements, you can only order the entire bag for Gen II's, whereas Gen I's still can get the cover only. Oh, the idiot labels on the interior are updated to current liability standards.

Unless you can find someone who can get you the European "city bags" which have the same exterior inner piece (closest to the bike), but have flat panels for the exterior outside piece. I'd still like to see those up close.

03-05 FJR saddlebags regardless of color will not attach to the 06 and vice versa. I tried it on both of my bikes. Impossible with making unknow mods to mounting structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you had a Cerulean '04 (is that redundant?), you could swap side cases with an '06/'07 Cerulean AE directly?? And what about those bitchin' Gen II mirrors?? Will they work on a Gen I? Just thinking out loud (sorta).

Tanks,

Whoops, Turbodave posted while I was typing. Now we have conflicting reports. And the mirrors?

So if you had a Cerulean '04 (is that redundant?), you could swap side cases with an '06/'07 Cerulean AE directly?? And what about those bitchin' Gen II mirrors?? Will they work on a Gen I? Just thinking out loud (sorta).

Tanks,

Whoops, Turbodave posted while I was typing. Bummer. And the mirrors? mirrors are swapable.

They are reported to be the same (according the Highlander who has had both iterations), the only difference are the colors. The reason the GenII bikes are narrower is the difference in the tail piece.

03-05 FJR saddlebags regardless of color will not attach to the 06 and vice versa. I tried it on both of my bikes. Impossible with making unknow mods to mounting structure.
We seem to have a difference of opinion. Anyone know which one is the REAL answer? :)

We seem to have a difference of opinion. Anyone know which one is the REAL answer? :)

Uncle Dave says he tried it. THAT would be the definitive answer.

Uhm, Dave, you DID try the right on the right and the left on the left, didn't you? :rolleyes: :lol:

Highlander....yew wanna be goin' outside tuh the Highlander Estate's barn en tryin' em tuh see whut the prollem kuhd bee. Summa us'ns er a mite kyoor-ee-us.

After I eat dinner I'll go out in the garage and try the 04 bags on the 06, I still have an extra rashed up set in the garage.

I just installed my 04 bags on the 06..... TurboD needs to try again ! :D It is a tighter fit but they install and the locking pin does engage when you throw the handle. I don't see a problem using swapped bags.

... It is a tighter fit but they install and the locking pin does engage when you throw the handle. I don't see a problem using swapped bags.
I had to replace one of the bags on my '06.

When I first tried to fit it, although everything lined up, I couldn't push the handle home. What I found was that the pin that the handle pushes up couldn't go up far enough. In the end I took off the bit of rubber at the top of the hole the pin goes in to, this let the pin go up further and the handle to lock in its home position.

Maybe this might explain the "will fit, won't fit" dilemma.

(To reduce any rubbing of paint up there, I stuck on some PVC electrician's tape at the top.)

I just installed my 04 bags on the 06..... TurboD needs to try again ! :D It is a tighter fit but they install and the locking pin does engage when you throw the handle. I don't see a problem using swapped bags.

Are they the same capacity?

When I first tried to fit it, although everything lined up, I couldn't push the handle home. What I found was that the pin that the handle pushes up couldn't go up far enough.
It sounds like the re-designed tailpiece for the NewGen is a bit more snug, as if Yamaha is trying to mitigate some rattles or "sloppiness" in the mounting. :dntknw:

Are they the same capacity?
I think there is about .00001 sq. inch difference. Probably not enough to notice. :crazy:

Yes...they are the same....

Yes...they are the same....
Thanks Mike.

Highlander....yew wanna be goin' outside tuh the Highlander Estate's barn en tryin' em tuh see whut the prollem kuhd bee. Summa us'ns er a mite kyoor-ee-us.
If that was intended to be a scottish accent, it was pretty darn good. If it was supposed to be hillbilly, your tenure on "America's got talent" is limited...sorry. :blink:

:blink: Have had both Generation I and Generation II bikes, the bags are exactly the same, only difference was color and mounting subframe puts them closer to center of bike and hence look sleeker.

Dave, seems I did not "hamfist" the bags enough to force them on. I am getting tired over over torqueing things on my bikes!!

Sorry my previous comments led to confusion and extra research for others.

I will take my 10 lashes at WFO.

I will take my 10 lashes at WFO.
For what? Just because you reported your experience? How about a diet soda and a bear hug?

P.S. Glad to see you made it home safely. Obviously you ride "insanely" but work on your bikes carefully.... :lol: