Are heated grips worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I think so. I like heated grips because it allows me to use lighter weight gloves which allows better feel of the controls compared to heavy weight gloves.

Thanks everyone for all the input. That just about decides it for me. Looks like I'll be installing heated grips. Now I have to figure out which grips and controller to get.

If you were in Southern Cal my answer would be different. I've had both & for Ohio, heated grips are like holding a warm pipe in a freezer, while heated gloves are like putting on a warm pair of jeans that just came out of the dryer. Once I got the Gerbing gloves I virtually never again used the heated grips.

Had a set of inexpensive heaters installed under the grips of my previous FJ1200 with a Hi/Low setting. Worked great....although on the high setting you could smell the plastic grips burning.

This past Sunday I was out on my recently "new to me" FJR without heated grips. Temps were in the 43-45 degrees range. I use BMW Winter Pro Gloves and even though the gloves are great.......after about 2 hours, the old fingers were starting to get chilled. Once you have tried heated grips, you will wonder how you did without them! I just purchased a set of ST1300 heated grips to install asap. I was quoted a price of $475 Cdn for the Yamaha grips :blink: Have never tried heated gloves, but sounds like an interesting option as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard is it to install the Factory Heated Grips? I'd rather not pay someone to do something I can do. Does any one know where I get the best price? D&H?
Took me a bit, couple of hours. mainly because one of the leads that you have to hook up was underneith the left faring, part of the control knob was taped into one of the mains. Was a bad bitch to get to it. Originally couldn't find it, but I called the dealer and the mechanic knew exactly what to tell me. That part alone took about 1.5 hours of hunting before I called for help. Wife says, typical...

I dig the grips big time. Definitely worth the money. (factory grips that is).