Are Pilot Road 2 on backorder?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsego

Reaction score
My local Yamaha dealer, Flatout Motorcycles of Greenwood, IN are saying that the Pilot Road 2's are on back order at all of their suppliers. I took the bike in over two weeks ago for the 4k service and a new front tire. The communication from them has been very poor, when I called last week they said it would be done "tomorrow" and hung up. Needless to say, I will be searching for another dealer for future work.

My local Yamaha dealer, Flatout Motorcycles of Greenwood, IN are saying that the Pilot Road 2's are on back order at all of their suppliers.
Yup. I've been hunting for a PR2 front and their are none to be had. My tire supplier was told by Michelin that it would be at least until the end of August (but he doubted that) before tires are back in the pipeline. Gonna go with a Metz Z6 interact on the front.

I received a pair of PR2s from SouthWestMoto 2 or 3 weeks ago. They arrived a few days after I ordered them, so they must have been in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Yamaha dealer, Flatout Motorcycles of Greenwood, IN are saying that the Pilot Road 2's are on back order at all of their suppliers. I took the bike in over two weeks ago for the 4k service and a new front tire. The communication from them has been very poor, when I called last week they said it would be done "tomorrow" and hung up. Needless to say, I will be searching for another dealer for future work.

Try competition accessories. They seem to have in stock. Sam

Two Brothers Tires website shows them available. I ordered the set two weeks ago and had them within days.

Maybe give the dealer the benefit of the doubt. They don't check the internet like consumers do. See if they can cancel your order while you get them from someone else and bring them in. Get them to reduce the cost of the installation/balancing since you had to do what they couldn't...

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the dealer/supplier chain but last year I (stupidly) asked a local dealer to get a PR2 front for me. He called the next day and said 'That's a hard tire to find." Told me it would take two weeks to get it, so I told him to forget about it. Ordered the tire online and had it in 2 or 3 days.

I ordered a set from https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com using discount code 96639 on Sunday and they've been shipped and are expected to arrive next Monday. $218.68 for the set (non-B rear)
Looks like they're out of stock now. I was about to be pissed cuz I just ordered a set from motosport.com yesterday for $280 (in stock), but I suppose it's worth the extra $60 to know I'll have my tires on Friday and get them installed before my ride to the Indianapolis Moto GP :)

Dealers often order tires in large quantities and various sizes and styles to fit the range of bikes they sell -- usually pre-season. They usually get a pretty good price on tires doing it that way. If they don't have what you want when you come in their store, they have to source it from one of their distributors -- and that price may not be too favorable (no large, discounted, order)?

The 'net/magazine tire wholesalers also buy from places the same as/similar to where your dealer buys his tires -- but in even larger (huge) numbers at even lower prices (some wholesalers have been known to buy-up all the tires availble in the country of a popular style & size).

It's not a level playing field... :blink:

Why would anyone here buy one from a dealer with the online prices available? The inventory availability at the dealers seems to always be questionable. I just got the NAFO set from Rocky Mountain ATV last week.

I ordered a set from https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com using discount code 96639 on Sunday and they've been shipped and are expected to arrive next Monday. $218.68 for the set (non-B rear)
Looks like they're out of stock now. I was about to be pissed cuz I just ordered a set from motosport.com yesterday for $280 (in stock), but I suppose it's worth the extra $60 to know I'll have my tires on Friday and get them installed before my ride to the Indianapolis Moto GP :)
The B spec is out of stock. The non B spec is in stock. My last 4 or 5 sets of tires have been non B spec. I think 3 day shipping was an extra $11 or so. Ground shipping is 5 business days. Don't need them till next weekend, so, didn't spend the extra $.

Note - prices below are BEFORE the additional discount provided using the discount code above.

180/55ZR-17 (73W) Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT Radial Rear Motorcycle TireRegular: $267.95

Our price: $132.99

Part# 1223980004

This item is In-Stock

180/55ZR-17 B (73W) Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT Radial Rear Motorcycle TireRegular: $282.95

Our price: $168.99

Part# 1223980005

Temporarily out of stock.

Expected in stock Sep 10, 2010

120/70ZR-17 (58W) Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT Radial Front Motorcycle TireRegular: $212.95

Our price: $109.99

Part# 1223970005

This item is In-Stock

I ended up just getting a set of Power Pure Plus' the other day due to lack of availability on the PR2's and I needed them rather quickly, so I didn't have time to search the web and wait for delivery. I was told that there were none coming out of Canada right now, this came from a local tire dealer. Probably just between manufacturing runs. :unsure: