Are you considering a product like Smart Tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you buy a Tire Monitoring Unit?

• I am currently using one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not currently using it but plan on adding it

• I will not be adding it

• I could care less and this is a stupid poll

• Total voters

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I was just curious how many of you will be adding this to your bike or have already added it. It seems like the kind of technology that will be added to every motorcycle being made in the very near future. The cheapest place I could find for it was here for $183.99. If anyone has added it would they care to share an image of where they mounted it? I like my bikes to look clean but I would also like to easily read the guage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for the "I plan on adding it" but that's not entirely accurate. I am considering it, but I'm still undecided.

A friend & riding buddy put the system on his GW1800 after a blowout on the rear of his bike. He swears by it. Isn't the new C-1400 supposed to have something similar built in from the factory? I think tire pressure monitoring has been mandated (In the USA) for all new cars in the next couple of years. Don't know if that mandate extends to new M/C's or not.

Doesn't help in a complete blowout situation. I have always felt a tire going low, front or rear. Its nice technology but not worth the hassle for a farkle of $200. If it came with the bike cool.

I know the Kawasaki Concours has it as a stock option for 2008 and I was woindering if Yamaha would be doing the same for their 08 FJR? They also have a pretty cool option called KI-PASS that will allow you to start the bike without the key in the ignition. With more technology hitting these bikes I would think Yamaha will add it to their bikes as well.

I know the Kawasaki Concours has it as a stock option for 2008 and I was woindering if Yamaha would be doing the same for their 08 FJR? They also have a pretty cool option called KI-PASS that will allow you to start the bike without the key in the ignition. With more technology hitting these bikes I would think Yamaha will add it to their bikes as well.
Damn it, I accidently double posted.
I wonder if Skyway would consider making a nice custom mount for it if there is enought interest? :yahoo:

QUOTE(2006FJR @ May 30 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just curious how many of you will be adding this to your bike or have already added it. It seems like the kind of technology that will be added to every motorcycle being made in the very near future. The cheapest place I could find for it was here for $183.99. If anyone has added it would they care to share an image of where they mounted it? I like my bikes to look clean but I would also like to easily read the guage.

Here's a posting showing where you can purchase this cheaper.

Here's another one showing an in-dash installation.

And finally, for the less creative, here's how I mounted mine:

IMG_3051a.jpg

for the record, the phrase should be "i could _not_ care less", meaning there's nothing in the world that i care less for, than this product, survey, etc.

to say i could care less means, well, that i _could_ care less about it. like i care less about what perfume j lo is putting out; or where paris hilton is partying, etc.

hth.

I know of at least one satisfied customer who has these. To me, it looks like one more thing to add to the cost and complexity of buying and maintaining a vehicle.

Our '03 Motorhome and SWMBO's '06 Toyota came w/ one of those systems. Kinda nice to have, don't think I need to pay extra for one. Been riding / driving a day or three, never been a big deal, w/ semi-routine pressure checks. Just my 2cents...

for the record, the phrase should be "i could _not_ care less", meaning there's nothing in the world that i care less for, than this product, survey, etc.
to say i could care less means, well, that i _could_ care less about it. like i care less about what perfume j lo is putting out; or where paris hilton is partying, etc.

hth.
[SIZE=14pt]F[/SIZE]or the record, capital letters (that's "upper-case") are generally used at the beginning of a sentence and for proper nouns, such as "[SIZE=14pt]P[/SIZE]aris [SIZE=14pt]H[/SIZE]ilton"

Nothing amuses me more than seeing someone rip another person's post apart by writing one that's even more fucked up than the one they're bitching about.

hth.
[SIZE=14pt]F[/SIZE]or the record, capital letters (that's "upper-case") are generally used at the beginning of a sentence and for proper nouns, such as "[SIZE=14pt]P[/SIZE]aris [SIZE=14pt]H[/SIZE]ilton"

Nothing amuses me more than seeing someone rip another person's post apart by writing one that's even more fucked up than the one they're bitching about.
+1

sorry Gun, couldn't resist!! (notice I used a capital "G"!!) :yahoo:

I think a tire pressure sensor is a good idea, and I would like to add it to my bike. Unfortunately since I have two sets of rims for the FJR, this becomes a somewhat expensive proposition. Right now its money I would rather spend in other ways.

I love my Smartire monitor... it's inconspicuous, but easily readable, and does something (check the tire pressures all the time) that I know I should do but neglect to do otherwise. Kind of like flossing.

Plus it saved my bacon on my BBG when I picked up a screw in my rear tire in Reno...

It's a breeze to install, has very useful information, and isn't all that expensive. What's not to like?

hth.

+1

sorry Gun, couldn't resist!! (notice I used a capital "G"!!) :yahoo:
Now that was funny. +2

For the record, this is what I bought today from JC Motors at www.JCMOTORS.com They have a local facility in Irvine and I have been trying to find place where I could start a relationship where I could buy locally. I was pretty happy with the pricing.

Pirelli Diablo Strada Type E Rear Tire $123.00

Pirelli Diablo Strada Extended Mile Front Tire $97.99

Smart Tire Monitoring System $164.99

Angeled Valve Stem (Pair) $29.98

Total $416.95

I honestly believe that this is THE most useful safety option that could be added to a bike, after ABS - PERIOD.

First of all, contrary to popular belief, 99% of blowouts are preceded by either declining pressure or increasing temperature. The catastrophic failure that is very dramatic has a lead up to it that typically is quite slow and easily avoidable with a monitoring system. While a tire failure in an auto is an inconvenience, on a bike it could be fatal, especially when the rear is heavily loaded as with a pillion. Having the “right now” air pressure and temperature is invaluable in terms of maximizing wear but also in terms of piece of mind to confirm things are ok just before a launch into triple figures. Anyone who can afford the likes of an FJR can easily afford a TPM and should re-examine priorities if seats, trunks and slip ons make the farkle list first.

I was not satisfied with the SmarTire system when I was looking around, especially the sensor mounting system and display quality. After looking at the available products on the market I found a very high quality company that produces wireless systems for many applications. They are coming out with an internal valve stem replacement sensor that weighs less than 40 grams. I have asked that they produce an attractive display that has continuous readout of both pressure and temp for both tires, in addition to settable alarms. 2 for pressure and 1 for temperature. I am hoping they can have the 2 sensor systems packaged over the next 2 months for a very reasonable cost considering the product quality. The only thing that stands in the way at this time is the guaranteed production run size vs price. If that hurtle is overcome (it’s a big number), we will have it available as a group buy. They may even customize the face for us.

Stay tuned

Latest posts