Armor & Such

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r5705

Reaction score
Conventional wisdom says that if your helmet sustains a hard blow, regardless of what it looks like, it should be replaced. I wonder if that applies to things such as jacket armor or armored undergarments, such as Bohn and Forcefield. Anybody know?

I'd say if you visually see anything wrong with the garment (rip, tear or distress) toss or if possible repair/fix it. The helmet can have hidden sacrificial damage that doesn't show from the outside (like the inside shell or foam could be condensed but you just can't see it cuz it's hidden. Garments should show exposure of any damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a difference between dropping a helmet and dropping a helmet with a head in it. If the helmet had a head-in drop the energy absorbing liner has done its job and the helmet needs to be replaced. Dropping a helmet from a seat may not require replacement. Some helmet companies such as Shoei will X-ray a helmet for free.

If the body armor is soft it won't be damaged by a drop. If the body armor is rigid-hard and dropped without a body wearing it at the time, from low altitude and without force it should be fine. If someone is whipping the armor around and hard armor is slammed into the asphalt or a pole then it may be worth looking for cracks. If you are riding and any armor pieces hit the ground (obviously with a body wearing it), they should be replaced. I suspect that the guys that ride dirt bikes and wear hard armor simply get back up and ride on without a second thought.

You need to read the literature for the product, IIRC, Bohn talks about how their foam is designed to harden on impact to spread the force out, but then relaxes so it can flex again as you move. I don't recall anything to worry about other than if it is physically abraided, then you might want to replace it.